Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<  (Read 84034 times)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

i have some guitars on hand... i am cool with any forum member (with a tiny bit of care)  playing any of them.....

This lot already have pick marks (or major mojo in some cases...) on them, so i'm not too fussed about taking them out and about;
'54 D18
'49 000-18
'61 Guild f20
'02 Martin custom shop 12 fret D (my "beater")
'32 Dobro

If we don't make music with them they are nothing but a pile of wood and wire....

;-)

d.

Dermot
Quite generous of you.   I assume that "a tiny bit of care" would preclude re-stringing them left-handed and re-filing the nut ?   

Tuffythepug
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Tuffy, I was at a party in my youth, and had only played guitar for a few weeks.  The girl who lived there had a left handed strat, which we tried to restring right handed as no other guitars were present.  We honestly didn't know any better.

All went well until we realised that the E and A strings weren't long enough due to the 6 in a line headstock.  She wasn't impressed the next day to find her guitar strung like a right handed UKE!

Oops

I am sure we have all done silly things when we were young and naive.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »

Oh, Ben.

There you go making some of us very jealous with your signature pic!  nice guitar

I think you are excited about your FG-III. Well so am I. But I haven't seen any pictures of my serial number in the pictures posted to date.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »

Oh, Ben.

There you go making some of us very jealous with your signature pic!  nice guitar

I think you are excited about your FG-III. Well so am I. But I haven't seen any pictures of my serial number in the pictures posted to date.

Norman

Don't worry Norman, haven't seen mine either. I could assume that the one below Ben's in that pic is mine, but you can only clearly see the number 4 on the end, so I'm not assuming.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2009, 04:46:55 AM »

I figured out how I could use some frequent flyer points last night and was going to book it today, but then found out today that I might have a work commitment that will prevent me from making the trip.  Won't know for a couple of weeks.  The things we do for money eh?

Does anyone know if Larrivee offers factory tours as a normal course of business?  IF I can't get there on March 16th I'd definitely like to make a trip up there at some point.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »

I figured out how I could use some frequent flyer points last night and was going to book it today, but then found out today that I might have a work commitment that will prevent me from making the trip.  Won't know for a couple of weeks.  The things we do for money eh?

Does anyone know if Larrivee offers factory tours as a normal course of business?  IF I can't get there on March 16th I'd definitely like to make a trip up there at some point.
   If you e-mail them they will work it out for you.
      Let us know as soon as you can if you are definite to make it. We need as accurate a count as possible for various reasons.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »

If you e-mail them they will work it out for you.
      Let us know as soon as you can if you are definite to make it. We need as accurate a count as possible for various reasons.

Danny,

I am sure you realize that there won't be an accurate count until much closer likely. I am sure, like the Forum III, there will be some who get on board at the end.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »

Note
Duplicate post is on the "Vancouver tour list of attendees" thread........

Could anyone who is familiar with the lay-of-the-land give me some idea of how far it is from the Larrivee factory to the area where most of the decent hotels are located ?   Are they clustered in the downtown vicinity as I would expect ?   Also, I've heard that there is a very good public transit system in place.  True ?
As of right now I'm trying to put together a quick trip involving a flight into Vancouver on Sunday and departure on Tue.  so I'll need a place for a couple of nights as well as reliable transportation to the factory on Monday.   As usual, any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
You can comment here or PM me;  whatever you feel comfortable with.

Tuffythepug
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »

Has anyone seen the list of nearby hotels recommended by Larrivee that Jim Holler was trying to get? Larrivee may have some special pricing from nearby hotels for visiting dignitaries.
 some thing walking distance or on public transit would likely be nice with a few restaurants nearby.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »

Note
Duplicate post is on the "Vancouver tour list of attendees" thread........

Could anyone who is familiar with the lay-of-the-land give me some idea of how far it is from the Larrivee factory to the area where most of the decent hotels are located ?   Are they clustered in the downtown vicinity as I would expect ?   Also, I've heard that there is a very good public transit system in place.  True ?
As of right now I'm trying to put together a quick trip involving a flight into Vancouver on Sunday and departure on Tue.  so I'll need a place for a couple of nights as well as reliable transportation to the factory on Monday.   As usual, any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
You can comment here or PM me;  whatever you feel comfortable with.

Tuffythepug
 Lynn I know Tad and I would like to try to be in the same area, just not much communication yet.  Mike, Vancouver southpaw said he knows the lay of the land, so maybe he could help. I would be happy to pick you up at the Airport on Sunday, someone else can if they like. Tuesday we'll need to get back to Seattle to head back to Texas ourselves.
      Also dermot has expressed desire to help out and if free of work that week I believe. So it would be good for us to have input from more attendee's on this thread as to coordinating a bit more.
           Lyricgirl has made her plans known and I am flexible, Tad has told us his basic schedule, but we need to nail down lodging. My wife has looked some, but we don't know the best area to consider for the group as a whole.
                                          Danny
Has anyone seen the list of nearby hotels recommended by Larrivee that Jim Holler was trying to get? Larrivee may have some special pricing from nearby hotels for visiting dignitaries.
 some thing walking distance or on public transit would likely be nice with a few restaurants nearby.
                          Sure would like to see this. Randy can you make this? I sure think that would be great.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »

I've sent an email to Jim Holler asking him to let us know if he was able to get any recommendations from Larrivee.

I asked for economical, nearby, on public transit, with nearby food and entertainment...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

I've sent an email to Jim Holler asking him to let us know if he was able to get any recommendations from Larrivee.

I asked for economical, nearby, on public transit, with nearby food and entertainment...

That would be really helpful. However, that being said, since it is March Break/Spring Break there, I haven't found any economical hotels, at least not in the downtown core. I was planning on using Hotwire unless folks want to share a suite.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »

Oh man, I wish I could join the party and meet so many forum family members at "the shrine" and see our new F3s in the making.  You guys have a great time and drink a fine Canadian beer for me.  And please post many pics from the event. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

Oh man, I wish I could join the party and meet so many forum family members at "the shrine" and see our new F3s in the making.  You guys have a great time and drink a fine Canadian beer for me.  And please post many pics from the event. 

Joseph
It's asking a lot but... OK...I'll drink a beer for you.   Would you like me to take your forum III for a spin too ????    I'll be taking lots of pics so you can join in the festivities after the fact and vicariously.
Are you absolutely sure you can't make it ?

Lynn
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »

With all the Forum guitars getting finished up, shouldn't the factory have an extra room we could throw some sleeping bags in? And I'll bet there are a few take-out menus under the office phone -  plenty of guitars on hand. If there were a good brew-pub across the street. . . 

We could establish a new spring-break tradition - PARTY AT THE LARRIVEES!!!!

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

. I would be happy to pick you up at the Airport on Sunday, someone else can if they like.                    
                                          Danny                           

Danny

Thanks for the offer.   I don't have an arrival time as of yet.  I may take you up on it.  I'd prefer not to inconvenience anyone though.  We'll just have to see how it all shakes out I guess.
Lynn

Tad
Hmmmmm.   A dozen and a half  forumites with access to lots of guitars and a brew pub across the street.   Heaven for us....  Hell for J. Larrivee   
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »

With all the Forum guitars getting finished up, shouldn't the factory have an extra room we could throw some sleeping bags in? And I'll bet there are a few take-out menus under the office phone -  plenty of guitars on hand. If there were a good brew-pub across the street. . . 

We could establish a new spring-break tradition - PARTY AT THE LARRIVEES!!!!

Tad

Works for me!

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »

SLUMBER PARTY !!!!!
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »

You could all be deputised as Larrivee security.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5. There must be buses that run close by but it's such a short distance that I wouldn't even bother as the fare wouldn't be any cheaper than a cab especially if you're in a group of two or more people. A walk from downtown to Larrivee would take you through our infamous downtown east side, which is not dangerous as long as you don't get into any heated arguments over a crack deal.

There are a fair number of reasonably priced, older hotels on Robson Street which is the trendiest shopping area in the west end of downtown. There's also a Holiday Inn Express at Hastings & Renfrew, very close to my place and probably equidistant from Larrivee as the downtown hotels. This might be relevant to some folks if the jam happens.

Since I live here I haven't had much experience with the hotels, but I have lots of favourite restaurants, mostly Asian cuisines - East Indian, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc. Some of these are located in the Robson/Denman area in the west end. I'm not so much up on the best places for what I've come to somewhat bemusedly (thanks to a Chinese ex-girlfriend) refer to as "white people food."

There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).

Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.

Mike

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: