Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<  (Read 82697 times)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2009, 05:12:09 AM »

I've read horror stories about people traveling by Amtrack...although it sounds like a fun, romantic way to travel. I've got an Amtrack station about a mile from my house...I wonder how long it would take to get to the NW...I bet a week at least...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2009, 05:18:16 AM »

I've always wanted to take that sight seeing train from Calgary to the Coast, over the Mountains, or really through the mountains. It runs along the rivers and you get to see the mountains like you never could any other way. Except a 6 month hiking expedition. My wife would love that too, but that's a bit too much to plan so quickly.
   Trains can be a bit magical sometimes. And like a nightmare at others.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
psp

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2009, 05:22:17 AM »

What time is the tour...Im in Vegas from Thursday to the Monday...Arrving in Vancouver international around noon on Monday then flying to the Interior of BC later in the day...I dont think its going to work for me...Imagine if I could squeeze the tour in...wow

psp
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2009, 06:13:20 AM »

I've read horror stories about people traveling by Amtrack...although it sounds like a fun, romantic way to travel. I've got an Amtrack station about a mile from my house...I wonder how long it would take to get to the NW...I bet a week at least...

I've had pleasant trips every time but you just have to be willing to live with un-expected delays.  Since Amtak shares the tracks with freight trains it's possible that a disabled freight can disrupt the schedule up and down the line.  If you have somewhere you have to be at a certain time it can be a disaster.  Otherwise, it's a great way to see the beauty of the region you're traveling through that you can never appreciate traveling by air or car.   

Tuffythepug
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

That sounds interesting.   I love to travel by rail.   It's not fast but it's very pleasant and leisurely.
Where would you be leaving from ?  You're in the bay area arent' you ?  Would you rent a car to drive from Seattle then ? I may look into that myself. 

Tuffythepug

Lynn,

Does this mean that you might be there? 

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »

Lynn,

Does this mean that you might be there? 

You never know ....    After checking the schedule and fares I don't think I'll travel by rail though. It is 24hrs each way by Amtrak.  I'm not up for that.   Checking air fares now.  We'll see.

T
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2009, 09:18:05 PM »

I'm checking prices and dates as we type here. I need to coordinate a little with some of y'all. I can fly into Seattle or Vancouver. But Seattle is less bucks and if some of us link up to ride up to Vancouver together and back then it would be good to have some time together on the road.
         I know folks in both cities that I can stay with, but I'm also open to getting a suite and sharing costs. Like a large 2 bedroom 2 bath with the extra sleeping sofas etc. They have kitchens and most of what you need to cook etc.
         Anyway, I just need to know what dates some will arrive and where so I can figure out what to do.
    If I don't hear from y'all soon I may just fly in Friday or Sat. and fly out on Tuesday from Seattle. That way it leaves me open to assist others in picking you up in Seattle etc.  Just trying to nail down a few details.
                                                             E-mail me if you like dependan@gmail.com        Danny

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »

Just curious, what is the drive time from Seattle to Vancouver?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »

Just curious, what is the drive time from Seattle to Vancouver?
                  I think it's 4 hours or so, I did it about 7 years ago.  Are you going Roger?

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

It takes about 2hr 30min. to drive..

But then you gotta factor in the traffic and border crossing...

so roughly 3 hrs??

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »

It takes about 2hr 30min. to drive..

But then you gotta factor in the traffic and border crossing...

so roughly 3 hrs??
And which side of Seattle you start from and which end of Vancouver you are going to.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »

I think it's 4 hours or so, I did it about 7 years ago.  Are you going Roger?

Danny, I would love to go but it's still too early to have any idea yet.  How long do you think it would take to drive from Michigan?

It's kind of expensive to fly for such a short time, I would probably prefer to incorporate it in to a cross country road trip.

Besides, I don't have a passport so I would have to see if I could get one in time. Probably not.

Roger

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »

Danny, I would love to go but it's still too early to have any idea yet.  How long do you think it would take to drive from Michigan?

It's kind of expensive to fly for such a short time, I would probably prefer to incorporate it in to a cross country road trip.

Besides, I don't have a passport so I would have to see if I could get one in time. Probably not.
                 Just a guess, but maybe 20 hours of straight driving. That passport deal may not affect you in Michigan, being a border state, but I'm not sure. When we would drive over from Detroit we never needed one. But it's been awhile since I went across.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »

Just a guess, but maybe 20 hours of straight driving. That passport deal may not affect you in Michigan, being a border state, but I'm not sure. When we would drive over from Detroit we never needed one. But it's been awhile since I went across.

I figured more like 40hrs. I'll have to mapquest it.

After 911 you either needed a Passport or birth certificate, but I think it was last year they changed that to Passport only. It may have been longer than that but I know I used B/C before but haven't been in over seven years.

Roger

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »

Ok guys, I tried to find the information on the Canadian government website but could not. Maybe you can get the info off your government website. I know for Canadians flying into the US we need passports.

I am still undecided, but if I'm coming, I will be flying Friday night or Saturday morning and flying home on Tuesday morning. I would love to share a suite; however, if that doesn't work, I will get a hotel on Hotwire.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »

And which side of Seattle you start from and which end of Vancouver you are going to.

that would be driving from Burnaby BC. to Bellevue WA.
I lived in Burnaby for 6 months... and have made that trip a few times.. and I do not remember taking 4 hrs.
(of course, I'd check the border crossing waiting time before I leave the house)

Jeffrey

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:24 AM »

to see if you need a passport to go into canada, it'd be the fastest to ask the border crossing agency.

but according to this page, US citizens don't need a passport

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P003

Arriving in Canada

Our border services officers are at the ports of entry to ensure that people entering Canada respect Canadian laws. They are authorized to examine people and goods entering Canada to determine their admissibility. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers and goods as quickly as possible.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada. It is available on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »

That's some good info. Jeff. I guess if someone came fro the U.S. without one they better call first and make sure that things haven't been changed recently.

Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:34 AM »

A passport is required for crossing US / Canadian borders by air.   If crossing by land or sea,  proper photo ID (drivers license),  and proof of citizenship (birth certificate) is required.  The land/sea rules change in June 2009 when passports will be required.  Here's the official info...
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »

Wow!!!!! Flying to Seattle from Columbus, Ohio is half the cost of flying directly to Vancouver.  I'd be interested in meeting up with others in Seattle then driving to Vancouver for the tour.   I'm thinking fly in on Saturday and fly back to Ohio on Tuesday morning.   If anyone would like to try and coordinate to share expenses let me know.  Any suggestions for lodging would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: