Sustain and age

Started by limnephilidae, February 03, 2009, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I realize that there are a few factors in note decay, but I was curious if sustain generally increased over time as new guitars get worked in?

I ask because the tone on my Martin D-18 is starting to open up just a little bit (it's only like 2 weeks old) as I play it everyday but the sustain has not noticeably increased. The intonation is great and the strings are relatively new (factory unless Jim put new ones on). I had assumed it was because the top and braces were still a little tight.

I realize I should just give it time but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give.

Thanks,

Adam
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Opening up, to me, always includes more sustain and volume. Louder is better. However, as the guitar ages so do our ears. At what point, should we expect any gain in increased sustain or volume to be accompanied by an equal loss in hearing ability?  :laughin:   

"Sustain and Age"

That sounds like too personal of a question/topic for this forum.   :bgrin:
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Quote from: bhika on February 03, 2009, 01:37:03 PM
"Sustain and Age"

That sounds like too personal of a question/topic for this forum.   :bgrin:

If you experience sustain for more than four hours.. See your doctor local guitar shop..
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

That's a good question. I don't know the answer but sustain seems to be mainly influenced be mass and where it's located. This is why denser back and side woods like rosewoods add more sustain to a guitar than if it had something like mahogany. As the guitar ages you aren't adding mass. If opening up results in the soundboard or back vibrating more then perhaps that would increase the sustain but I think it would depend on why the soundboard is vibrating more.

:nice guitar:
2 weeks, huh?
patience is a vitue.
think not about this guitar opening up.
enjoy it for the music it produces today, as if it will never get any better. (since, in large measure, there is little beyond playing it that you can do to influence this.)
On the other hand, playing more will make a decided improvement in your playing skill.

here, have  donut.  :donut
all the best,
-Q.

Jeremy- I had read somewhere that the stiffer the soundboard, a softer wood, like mahogany, should be used (a little off the  subject maybe). Thus, cedar/rosewood on many classical guitars. Do you have any input into this ? I feel like I don't have to call my tech guy anymore, just ask you. :bowdown:
Being serious, what does that super-wolfman represent that's on your posts ? It's cool, but I've never seen it before.
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

That's bogus, Adi and mahogany make a fantastic combination.

The little dude in my sig is Brak. I'm not sure he represents anything.

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I know I seem to go on longer as I get older.  I'd prefer to think it's because I have more important things to say then when I was young.  Instead, it's usually because there's no one listening except the dogs and as far as they are concerned it's all fascinating.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

My Grandad would often go on and on and on about this and that. I just kept smiling and nodding.

L-03 Italian Spruce