Simple in ear monitor advice?

Started by Michael T, February 01, 2009, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am interested in a simple but decent wireless in ear monitor system for really just myself when playing open mics. Something the house wouldn't have to jump through hoops with but would eliminate the need for the floor monitor/amp. Seems like many are pretty complex and/or for multiple users. Any recommendations?
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Even the simplest IEM will require the sound person to connect it to a separate aux send and set up the adjustment to your liking. Not likely something that will please them, especially if you are only doing a couple of tunes.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on February 01, 2009, 05:34:05 PM
Even the simplest IEM will require the sound person to connect it to a separate aux send and set up the adjustment to your liking. Not likely something that will please them, especially if you are only doing a couple of tunes.

This depends on how you as the artist send to the mix engineer.

If you use a DI box or even a cheapo 4 ch. mixer (like this one from Behringer http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238  ) , you can set up your channels the way that you like it and drive the IEM with the mixer without fear of the sound engineer over-cranking the feed to the IEM - that's the most important thing about IEMs.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

There are some good systems out there, but basic send to the monitor sound is all I really am looking for. Something that will allow me to hear what the audience is hearing so I can adjust volume level on the guitar to blend with the vocal setting the board is using. In other words in place of the floor monitor. It looks like going wired is going to be the easiest method, something like the Shure. I really do not want to do a lot of tweaking, set up and tear down etc but would like better control of my audio level for the volume & tone at my preamp mix.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

You won't get a good representation of the rooms sound with an in ear monitor. What your in ear drivers reproduce in sound will not match the PA speakers and you will not have the room dynamics to contend with. When playing through a board you have to pretty much trust the man mixing you to make you sound good.... difficult, I know.

If you start tailoring your "send" to the board he will ultimately over ride you until limits are reached, which will guarantee you a poor sound since you will be at the edge of adjustments.

Most in ear systems (we use Axiom) receive the signal sent to the board, then you adjust it for your mix to your in ear. But the signal going to the house will be mixed separately and is separate from the boards return signal.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

What Dale said is right on.

You are asking to take away the house engineer's main role - balance and level/EQ of mix to the mains.  In performance, you'll have to engage the audience with performance, not necessarily with mix quality and quality of tone.  Learn some jokes and some good stories to tie in to your songs.

BTW, there are some in-ear monitor companies that are toying with the idea of small microphones at the in-ears which will allow the wearer a mix of feed from the board as well as 'ambient' sound.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud