I am sick of beginners lessons

Started by BenF, January 30, 2009, 04:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm not sure what it's showing, but I can't stand Eric Clapton. I do think he's responsible for a great deal of gas, though....  I'd like to put him and Paul McCartney in a box and set it afloat, headed for some small deserted island where they could battle it out.

Paul "Everyone knows I invented the coconut guitar!"

Eric "Yes, but I am a coconut guitar God!"

Lots of limp wristed slapping noises.....

No offense to fans, they both just grate on me.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

You let anything you don't perfer grate on you an awful lot. I don't think Clapton is full of himself anyway.
Others have placed the crown on him. During interviews I've read for 35 years and the live interviews I've heard he's more likely to put himself down. Right off he basically thinks the only way to be a real blues guy is to be black and from the southern U.S.  But anyway he's more likely to come off as insecure than arrogant.
  I don't think he has enough of an ego. Example, He has a fine voice. When he put out that blues album
10-12 years ago, whatever, you could tell he was trying too hard to sound black. Shoulda just used his regular voice. Anybodybody can have the blues and he's definitely been thru some crap, including a loss greater than I could imagine. Losing a 4 year old son to something stupid.  Losing other friends helped drive him into addiction earlier. He's probably spent millions on the rehab center he started. Auctioned off over 50 guitars for it and givien benifit concerts. The "Clapton is god" thing was just started by graffitti artist. I think he's a good guy. He playes ok too. I'd be ok if you said his music made you cringe for whatever reason but personally I think he's alright!   :+1:You don't even like "unplugged"?
Paul can do what he wants. He helped change popular music forever.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

You make a good point. It's the persona I can't stand and as you pointed out he probabaly has very little to do with it. His music has never done anything for me but I don't like a lot of that genre. It doesn't resonant with me on any level. I can appreciate his mastery of the craft.

As for Paul, being musical doesn't give anyone that much of a pass. Lots of folks changed music forever without standing on the shoulders of others and basically being a bit of a snit. It's hard for me to enjoy anyone's music if i have a real problem with them personally. I also don't go see movies with Jim Carey in them because I don't want to put money in his pocket, although again, not liking his 'art' very much helps. I'm just very picky about who my money is supporting.

While I doubt I'd really put the two in a box, the imagery did make me grin. One of my dogs is sick so it's been a looooong night and I am a little punchy. When I say things like that, pull out your big grain of salt and please understand I'm not being that serious, I'm just being goofy.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: flatlander on February 03, 2009, 08:51:49 PM
Niel young is the Godfather of grunge. Think crazy horse.
Absolutely agree
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: strawintogold on February 04, 2009, 11:46:14 AM

When I say things like that, pull out your big grain of salt and please understand I'm not being that serious, I'm just being goofy.

You can usually count on me too stand up for someone who I think is being misrepresented in a negitive way, weather you're kidding or not. :thumb

Well, that's just one of the things on a very long list that I like about you.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH , KAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

that was an 'interesting' rabbit hunt...

...meanwhile, back at ' the point '

Clapton did not write or first perform Classical Gas -
although many, many, many folks (especially those younger than 50 think he did.)

The song was written by Mason Williams. He performed it (along with an orchastra) on the
Smothers Brothers show back in the 60s. It was VERY DIFFERENT for its time.

Its always been a favorite of mine.

One nice thing about Clapton's version is he plays it all on guitar with no orchastra -
For guitar lovers - thats a plus  :thumb
I have learned the intro from using Clapton's tab - someday plan to learn the rest

The original is on youtube somewhere,
but here is Williams playing it in the 80s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9nl3T31wI

Clapton's version is on  youtube and for you Tommy E. fans - he has an ' interesting ' version of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU&feature=related

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Quote from: timmymac on February 04, 2009, 02:51:39 PM
just play and play and play

I wish

But the wife wouldn't be best pleased, and the kids would never sleep, so I may as well make the most of the rest of my free time and read constructively and try to learn something.

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on February 04, 2009, 02:57:42 PM
I wish

But the wife wouldn't be best pleased, and the kids would never sleep, so I may as well make the most of the rest of my free time and read constructively and try to learn something.

Ben

You and me brother, I hear ya. Does the boy have any interest?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I carry a guitar to son's soccer practice 2 or 3 times a week and play in the car. Get up EARLY and play/record learn whatever.(3:00 a.m. this morning) Another thing I used to do and still do every once in a while when I feel compelled to watch boob tube with family, is grab solid body electric and maybe even mute the strings but sit there and figure out stuff or do scales or something.
At this point it seems I'm pretty free to play when I want though, finally. :nana_guitar

Ben, why don't you try 'Open G Tuning?' You might enjoy it. Go to the 'Thread' 'G Tuning', and see how it's done
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: flatlander on February 04, 2009, 11:31:50 AM
You let anything you don't perfer grate on you an awful lot. I don't think Clapton is full of himself anyway.
Others have placed the crown on him. During interviews I've read for 35 years and the live interviews I've heard he's more likely to put himself down. Right off he basically thinks the only way to be a real blues guy is to be black and from the southern U.S.  But anyway he's more likely to come off as insecure than arrogant.
  I don't think he has enough of an ego. Example, He has a fine voice. When he put out that blues album
10-12 years ago, whatever, you could tell he was trying too hard to sound black. Shoulda just used his regular voice. Anybodybody can have the blues and he's definitely been thru some crap, including a loss greater than I could imagine. Losing a 4 year old son to something stupid.  Losing other friends helped drive him into addiction earlier. He's probably spent millions on the rehab center he started. Auctioned off over 50 guitars for it and givien benifit concerts. The "Clapton is god" thing was just started by graffitti artist. I think he's a good guy. He playes ok too. I'd be ok if you said his music made you cringe for whatever reason but personally I think he's alright!   :+1:You don't even like "unplugged"?
Paul can do what he wants. He helped change popular music forever.

Clapton's playing on the Bluebreaker stuff is a miracle, but his Pop music is all pretty much discard. He did best work when he was around 22. Very young anyway. He doesn't play with that spontaneous abandon anymore.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on February 04, 2009, 06:44:37 PM

Clapton's playing on the Bluebreaker stuff is a miracle, but his Pop music is all pretty much discard. He did best work when he was around 22. Very young anyway. He doesn't play with that spontaneous abandon anymore.
Just to be clear I'm not a super Clapton fan. I was just saying he didn't seem arrogant. Often downplays himself in interviews I've read/heard. I'm with you. Mayall beano album is my favorite, but I do like some of the J.J. Cale influenced stuff like lay down salley
and I think unplugged is a great CD.

Quote from: flatlander on February 04, 2009, 06:59:24 PM
Just to be clear I'm not a super Clapton fan. I was just saying he didn't seem arrogant. Often downplays himself in interviews I've read/heard. I'm with you. Mayall beano album is my favorite, but I do like some of the J.J. Cale influenced stuff like lay down salley
and I think unplugged is a great CD.

flatlander has it spot on.

Anybody who is at all interested in Clapton should read his autobiography - published last year or maybe the year before.  I personally found it an exceptional book, written by someone who is clearly (despite all his faults etc.) an exceptional human being - anyone who has a bit of a downer on the guy in particular should give it a shot, as it may well put him in a very different light for you.
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420