Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin OMJM  (Read 8002 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »

I played the "John Mayer OM" today, and I was pleasantly surprised (not by the price though). a Very responsive instrument with its Engelman top, and a (surprisingly) comfy 1 11/16" neck width at the nut. It felt comfortable on the fret-board as well - almost like a short-scaled guitar. I'm certainly questioning my long standing reservation towards those necks. I believe the low oval neck profile is a good combination as well. What I loved about it as well, is the discrete active pick-up which is neatly tucked away - I only noticed it when I saw the battery pouch on the inside of the upper bout.
I believe this is a 2nd run, and somewhat underspecified against the original "OM-28 John Mayer" model - I believe the original first run was a killer - it must have been because I wouldn't mind this one myself....
Other members know this guitar?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »

I played one (the original version) about a year ago and, for me, it was probably the best Martin I have ever played. Incredibly responsive and it played like butter. If you blindfolded me and told me it was a Bourgeois Vintage OM I would have believed you. 

Ron

Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:37 AM »

I played the "John Mayer OM" today, and I was pleasantly surprised (not by the price though). a Very responsive instrument with its Engelman top, and a (surprisingly) comfy 1 11/16" neck width at the nut. It felt comfortable on the fret-board as well - almost like a short-scaled guitar. I'm certainly questioning my long standing reservation towards those necks. I believe the low oval neck profile is a good combination as well. What I loved about it as well, is the discrete active pick-up which is neatly tucked away - I only noticed it when I saw the battery pouch on the inside of the upper bout.
I believe this is a 2nd run, and somewhat underspecified against the original "OM-18 John Mayer" model - I believe the original first run was a killer - it must have been because I wouldn't mind this one myself....
Other members know this guitar?

Don't have any experience with the guitar, but love what John can coax out of that thing

~ Ray~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »

You are right, this is the second run and I played a nice one two weeks ago in Pittsburgh. Here's the link to Harmony Central's review of the original John Mayer signature model and he is one of the best of the current generation. Have you ever seen him on the Dave Chappelle show where they went around to different locations and JM played his strat to match the mood based on the demographic of the audience. (i.e. an upscale restaurant, an office, a barber shop)?

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Martin/PR/OM-28-John-Mayer.html

I have a Martin Catalog from a few years back that shows JM and Eric Clapton on the front inside and back inside covers with their signature models on the set of the Larry King show to promote a hurricane relief fundraising effort.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:39:48 PM »

Amazing, it's a bolt on neck and spanish cedar neck for $4000.00!  cop

NotConvicted

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »

I own an OM-28JM, i.e. one of the guitars that was limited to a production of 404.   The primary difference between the 1st limited run and the OMJM is the neck joint.  The OM-28JM has a dovetail neck joint, while the OMJM uses a mortise-tenon neck joint.  There are a few minor cosmetic differences.  Nut spacing, neck profile, bracing, etc. are all identical between the two models.

I have never played an OMJM, but I play my OM-28JM pretty much everyday.  The limited run is a stunning guitar from either a sonic or aesthetic perspective.  Luckily, I was an early adopter and was able to purchase one at the usual discount from Martin's suggested retail.  One thing that blows me away is the list price of the OMJM which I think is quite high, particularly relative to what I paid for the OM-28JM.

NC

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Satin Parlor
Martin OM-28JM #82 of 404
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Burns Steer
Gibson '52 ES-125
Cort Source

Haiku to Physics:
I don't understand.
Could you explain it again?
I still don't get it.
NotConvicted

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »

Amazing, it's a bolt on neck and spanish cedar neck for $4000.00!  cop

I totally agree.

Larrivee Satin Parlor
Martin OM-28JM #82 of 404
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Burns Steer
Gibson '52 ES-125
Cort Source

Haiku to Physics:
I don't understand.
Could you explain it again?
I still don't get it.
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »

Whats the matter with a bolt on neck?  My H&D has one.  Sounds great.

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »

The one I played was definitely one of the earlier models. I didn't realize that some of the specs had changed on the later model.

I am also one who doesn't see the argument against using a properly designed bolt on neck. Two Bourgeois and one Pennell at my house sport bolt ons, and I defy anyone to say that they don't cut it because of that.  drool

...and don't most of the Holy Grail vintage electrics (and a good majority of the current elecrtics in most dealer's inventory) have a bolt on neck. What a shame they won't be able to live up to their true potential. 

Ron

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »

I think they mean a 'bolt on neck and spanish cedar neck for ONLY $4000!' Because I think the reality is most guitars that cost more than $4000 have bolt on necks. You can get the dovetail neck joint for under $400 on a Blueridge, which is funny because that's about what it would cost to reset it. They should come in 5 packs sealed in plastic. That way when one needs a repair you can just throw it in the trash and tear a new guitar off the pack.

Actually I think the M&T joint Martin uses isn't a bolt on but rather glued on. The screw is there just to hold it togther till they can glue it.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »

Nothing wrong there!!! Collings, Bourgeois, H&D as you rightly said, Taylor, and a host of other high-end, builders use them. I think the dovetail is a minimum requirement for some based on tradition, and probably overrated by most. I certainly have no problem with bolts - we could do with some high-tech materials like Titanium though - after all, it is 2009. The bolt in the OMJM "sounds" terrific....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 01:24:31 AM »

My son's Taylor has a bolt on neck and I would have no problems with one. I have to believe it would be a lot less to repair or replace. I think part of the higher cost of the signature model guitars stems from the artist endorsement and the limited run.

I played a JMOM two weeks ago and it was really nice. I also played a new D-35 from Martin's Custom Shop at a second shop later in the day. The D-35 had a maple center panel on the back and matching maple binding in place of the white plastic binding used on a stock D-35. This was an exceptional guitar in tone, playability and looks.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 03:40:48 AM »

I've played several OMJM's and like most Martins Some of them  where WoW that's nice and other's I would wonder how can they get that much money out of one of these. Inconsistent.
mantal

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 03:21:06 AM »

Great looking Guitar!!!!!
DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:39 AM »

Have seen John Mayer on several TV "concerts" lately.  In all those he really plays the heck out of his acoustic model.  If I could find one that I could play/sound like that????  I am only limited by three small items...can't play, can't sing and have no talent...other than that, I am good to go...how about you?
 bigrin

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »

Nice guitar but I didn't like the 1 11/16" neck. Too narrow for my taste.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
CF Larrivee

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

gluve1 ...

If you think Martins are inconsistent, go check out Steinway pianos.  ( And their prices ) ohmy

"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 05:39:06 AM »

Seems some traditionalists are here to stay - I loved everything about that guitar when I played it, well maybe not the orange toner so much - "ohmy oh no!!! - it's got a bolted neck, hmmmm, actually I hate it..."    

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: