Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoom H2 digital recorder  (Read 1357 times)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« on: January 29, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

I ordered a Samson  "Zoom H2" digital recorder which should be delivered today or tomorrow.  I need something to facilitate making MP3 or WAV recordings easily and this seemed to get good reviews.

Anyone here have one of these or know a bit about them ?   I could use any advice you may have about set-up and how to use it most effectively.   I plan to use it mostly to record myself with acoustic guitar and vocal and occassionally with another guitarist and a drum machine.
I've got serveral original songs I need to record and post on some audio file hosting site to share with others.   Advice regarding appropriate (free) audio file hosting sites would be welcome as well.

Thanks guys.   I hope some of you have iinfo to share

Tuffythepug

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

You'll like it, Tuffy. You are correct: They get great reviews.
jandrew inspired me to try a Zoom H2 after listening to some of his recordings done on a zoom.
they include a pretty good manual along with the product. the microphones are great. It took a little while to figure out the settings I liked best.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »

Me! Me! I LOVE it. It does way more than I need it to do, which is  good sign because it's idiot proof enough that I could get started. The process to get around is a bit tedious, lots of button pushing, but for the money it can't be beat. Plus it somes with cool stuff, like a little stand.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

Great minds think alike.  I got one of these about a month ago.  It's a nice little unit, does a great job.  I really wanted the H4 because it has the direct inputs but I really don't need that and the H2 is waaaay easier to use.  The new H4 looks spectacular but it's not yet available and double the cost of the H2.

H2 Rocks
 +1

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

Great minds think alike.  I got one of these about a month ago.  It's a nice little unit, does a great job.  I really wanted the H4 because it has the direct inputs but I really don't need that and the H2 is waaaay easier to use.  The new H4 looks spectacular but it's not yet available and double the cost of the H2.

H2 Rocks
 +1

Great !  Did you get the left-handed version ? 
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

Hey there, I'm one of those with the H4, and am wondering if I'd be better off with the H2 (which if I understand it correctly has four mike's versus the two stereo on the H4).  Any opinions on the value of the quad mikes on the H2?  Do you use different combos or all four?

I've gotten good recordings from the H4, but I never use the direct line in's -- only recording acoustically via the stereo mikes.

Any thoughts there from H2 users?  Might be open to a trade as well, if someone has a need for an H4...

Dave

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

Dave
The H2 has 4 mics.    Two facing the front (where the controls are) have a 90 deg. angle of coverage and two in the rear which have a 120 deg. angle of coverage.  They can be used individually or in combination:  in other words the unit can be positioned in the middle of a group and still capture stereo sound from all directions.  I will probably use it in this manner but I'll also use a 4 channel mixer in front of it and use the line-in connection so I can record 4 individual external microphones in some situations.
This is supposed to be a much easier unit to use than the H4.  Or so I'm told.

Tuffythepug
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »

Got the lefty, had to wait 3 months for it to be made!   

Does anyone know how to get the free cube software or whatever it's called for the computer so you can upload and lay down more tracks?  Or it that software only free for the H4 and it can't be obtained free if you have an H2??  Any info on this would be appreciated because it remains a mystery to me.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »

The H-4 I bought was used and did not come with the Cubase software. I talked to someone at Samson and they said they would send me a copy. I didn't receive it so I called back and was told that the other person I talked to was mistaken, they would not be able to do anything for me because I was not the original owner.

So I would say if you bought it new, give them a call. Or just use Audacity which I hear is better anyway. The Cubase they bundle with the recorder is not the full version, in other words it's just a teaser program.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Well the H2 came last evening.   I took a few minutes to unpack and skim the manual and proceeded to set it up on a mic stand.   controls are very simple although the display is very small and difficult to read if you've got 59 year-old eyes.  It's pretty intuitive, though, so I was able to get excellent results immediately with just my my L-10 and vocal coming through crystal clear.   Played back on a stereo it sounded incredible.    Not the skill level, mind you,  but the recording quality exceeded expectations.
I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thing.

T
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »

My exact thoughts when I tried out mine first time.  With a 8GB card, you can record hours, real good if you take a guitar workshop and want to record a lot of the instructional material for later reference.  I took an all day workshop in Dec that I wish I did that at, it would be extremely helpful to me right now if I had.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »

Don't you love the fact that the microphone LOOKS like one? The stand is cool too.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »

Yes the mic looks cool.  I have this little gadget that was a gift I've been using, http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/  It screws into the bass and I can wrap it around a mic stand or guitar stand and position it where I want it.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »

We'll be lookin for your song postings.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

Yes the mic looks cool.  I have this little gadget that was a gift I've been using, http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/  It screws into the bass and I can wrap it around a mic stand or guitar stand and position it where I want it.

That is SO cool. You know, not as cool as a Recital Box, but really cool. Except they don't come alive and try to kill you or anything, right? Cause they look like they might.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

That is SO cool. You know, not as cool as a Recital Box, but really cool. Except they don't come alive and try to kill you or anything, right? Cause they look like they might.

holly

...only late at night when you are all alone.  ohmy

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

wes

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »

i took down my duplicate thread on this.
i was so excited when i saw the H2, i just had to share.
mantal

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 02:52:09 AM »

I too recieved one recently and was amazed at the clarity for what it is. I don't really even know what the best settings for recording, levels, etc. But a couple friends listened to what we put onto a CD and they were all pretty amazed as well. I'll probably start a new thread with settings suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: