Yes, it's another 12 string question...

Started by strawintogold, January 25, 2009, 05:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK, so I have my LV 03 12 (thanks Larry!) which is a pretty thing indeed. Going to replace the Pings with anything else. Eventually. Have the PG removed, bone saddle installed, new strings.

Anyhow, I looked all over but couldn't find if Larrivee has a double truss rod or not. The info they provide on the site is minimal and my instructor got me all paranoid because he says a lot of 12'vers last a few years and then sort of slowly double up on themselves.

When playing, I'm thinking the general idea for newbies, that is, it to pluck the 'regular strings and the accompanying ones ring out incidentally?
It's definitely a differant type of animal. I will have might callouses.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Holly, 12ers do take different techniques, as you become more familiar with it there are all kinds of things to consider. 1st they have been around for a long time and many if not most are set up a bit higher to produce lots of volume and let the strings bang together to get the jangle going that many associate with them. That in itself can produce a style of play that emphasize it, a bit heavier attack etc.

Then there are the lowered tunings that lessen the tension a bit and produce more of a drone, or, growl. Basically less high pitched banging together and more pronounced notes on the octaves.

Those who play a lot also gain an appreciation for emphasis in attack based on angle etc. some can play the octave separate from the standard course or vice versa. Reversing string courses or alternating the strum pattern has a similar effect in as much as it alters the attack on the octave verse the standard course.

There are more differing set ups becoming available too. Taylor developed a compensated saddle to level the top of the strings on their T5-12 electric/acoustic hybrid and are working on something similar for the R-Taylor line. With straight acoustics there is the issue of optimal string height that requires the nut to be compensated somewhat also (in line with the saddle) to preserve intonation and will likely require lowering the action which will limit the "jangle" effect a bit and could affect volume to some extent. Much harder to mass produce as opposed as an electric action set up like the T5 whose nut can be of a lesser concern related to intonation and optimal string height related to volume.

I had Jim Holler do such a hand carved set up on my L05-12 and I am quite pleased. I wanted to have access to both octaves in both direction of attack. I also wanted to reach the octave finger style with the subtleties and nuances (emotion) employed for  a 6 string. I had a T5-12 and got really spoiled in being able to reach both courses easily. The result was more of an organ type of blend to the chords verses that of a harpsichord (way less jangle, more warmth) and it is very easy to fully fret cleanly and clearly (no need to fret the standard course harder to make contact with the octave on the fret). I play in standard 440 so I don't know how much growl would be lost by this in down tuning. It plays pretty much like my 6 string except with the fullness of an orchestra in a box. Oh I also get to wear 2 full string imprints on my calluses.

I am going to stay with my Pings until they give me an issue (I am going to change buttons though, just cause I can), they are a 1:18 mission and seem to be very accurate and hold very well, the ones on my DV-09 worked well for over 4 years before I noticed and slack to speak of.

Here's a little Travis-finger style combo (solo arrangement) you can hear the octaves as clear as when they would be strummed.
http://media.putfile.com/Cvr-Carefree-Highway-48

And here's my cross picked/strummed solo version of another oldie.
http://media.putfile.com/Cvr-Old-Man-87

Hope this helps.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Congratulations and welcome to the 12 string club.

Many Guild 12 strings have double truss rods but Larrivees have a single adjustable truss rod that uses the same wrench as the other models. My parlor came with the exact same wrench. If you have an inspection mirror, you can see the hole with the hex nut right above the S/N and model stamp in the neck block. Have a qualified guitar tech show you how to adjust it.

The concern about 12 string necks generally applies to some inexpensive 12 strings and older models but you shouldn't have any trouble with your Larrivee. Do not string it up with medium gauge strings though since it is set up for light gauge only. I have had mine for three years and it hasn't needed any adjustments since Jim Holler set it up in February 2006. He installed a bone saddle and I Beam Pickup which only required one small non visible hole to be drilled and the end pin. The guitar came from the factory with the stock pickguard which some people think is too thick but it doesn't bother me. I saw the pickguard on your other post that looks like you could land a small plane on it. Jim is checking on Schallers for me to see if they need to be re- drilled. I checked on Stewmac and I am going to bite the bullet and put gold or gold with black knobs on to highlight the all mahogany body.

Whether you are strumming or finger picking you hit both strings together and yes you will have mighty calluses.

P.S. Depending on the age of the guitar, you may want to think about the pick guard removal unless you are going to replace it with another since the finish may be a different color if it's been on the guitar for a while. I had Jim remove the clear pickguard from my parlor soon after I bought it and in the right light I can tell where it was but most other people can't without looking.

I have a guy http://artisanguitarrepair.com/woodpickguards.com/Ordering_acoustics.htm who makes nice wooden ones. See those two on the bottom? I had him alter a design he had to make that for my S.O.  The grain was a bit off which made him unhappy, so he redid it at no cost and it's being put on as we speak.  It was my mistake, so I thought that was pretty awesome. They are realllly nice.

What kind of buttons fit the Pings?

It only took me an hour to change the strings and I only poked a hole in one finger this time.  It still looks a little wrong, but I did it just as it came and it came with the Cleartones.

I'm a little confused about set up bit I'm lucky in that I can have a chat with my shop and get that resolved.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

First things first,replace your teacher as he doesn't know what he talking about.The ping tuners are just fine and as the owner of several Larrivee 12 strings and other Larrivee's for several years now and that I'm also a repairperson if you don't need to don't replace them.I hope the wood guard isn't too heavy as it may affect the tone.If you feel the need to replace the buttons made out of wood or are molded{you can see the casting seem} look for the ones with the metal shaft.

:nice guitar:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I haven't had any problems with the stock tuner that came with the guitar and haven't had any reason to change them.  They keep tune for AGES, don't slip and look pretty good in my opinion.  I could see someone changing them if they liked the look of another brand's tuners or had issues with them keeping the guitar in tune, but that hasn't been the case with me yet.

Nice guitar you got yourself there!  You can add so many flavors to a song by hitting certain strings and missing others.  I sometimes get lost playing a simple melody different ways and 'mistakes' can open a lot of different doors that you haven't thought about previously.  Enjoy it and keep pickin'

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: unclrob on January 25, 2009, 10:26:55 PM
First things first,replace your teacher as he doesn't know what he talking about.The ping tuners are just fine and as the owner of several Larrivee 12 strings and other Larrivee's for several years now and that I'm also a repairperson if you don't need to don't replace them.I hope the wood guard isn't too heavy as it may affect the tone.If you feel the need to replace the buttons made out of wood or are molded{you can see the casting seem} look for the ones with the metal shaft.

:nice guitar:

Um, no. Actually he is right in regard to some 12 strings. It's not like he's intimate with the Larrivee brand although he is the one that highly recommended it to me and in doing research there is a shared experience that some 12 strings last about four or five years. In fact he gave me a list of what to look for when buying a used guitar, etc. I know your impassioned but that's a bit over the top. I think you'd agree if you sat down and talked about anything related to music with the man.

The PG is much thinner than the stock, it's laminate thickness and I can't see how it would affect tone, I'd think less so than the thicker plastic.

I can't stand the Pings. Do they work, sure, most of the time. But they feel and look cheap to me and I'm not a fan of shiny. If they were black I'd not be so adamant, I'd imagine. Mine are hit and miss. When i replaced them with Schallers the difference was pretty remarkable. Not so much turning turning, turning back and forth and felt much nicer.

I'm very particular about guitars, I don't like gloss, i don't like PG and I don't like shiny. Nothing wrong with any of those things it's a personal aesthetic.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: Johnny M on January 25, 2009, 11:09:57 PM
I haven't had any problems with the stock tuner that came with the guitar and haven't had any reason to change them.  They keep tune for AGES, don't slip and look pretty good in my opinion.  I could see someone changing them if they liked the look of another brand's tuners or had issues with them keeping the guitar in tune, but that hasn't been the case with me yet.

Nice guitar you got yourself there!  You can add so many flavors to a song by hitting certain strings and missing others.  I sometimes get lost playing a simple melody different ways and 'mistakes' can open a lot of different doors that you haven't thought about previously.  Enjoy it and keep pickin'

John

It certainly is different. The rest stroke in particular. I can see how someone could shred a finger trying to hook two strings,lol.  I haven't even put a opick near it since i suck with those with a six string. I'm finding simply (ha) making the rest stroke a bit wider but keeping it relaxed works pretty well. I'll post a pic once it's all done.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

My whole hearted apology.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Holly--

What strings did you decide to go with?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: unclrob on January 26, 2009, 08:13:42 AM
My whole hearted apology.

Oh, none needed. I know how passionate you are about this stuff. It's that passion that makes me trust people like you to work on my guitars in the first place.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: ncognito on January 26, 2009, 08:39:43 AM
Holly--

What strings did you decide to go with?

DAVE

I went with D' Addario because that's what the shop had,lol. i als didn't want to spend much since it's going to get fiddled with. I broke the high E and of course, the G. Why is it a given that newbies will break that string as oppossed to any other? I can tell you it sounded much better than the year old Cleartones, no shocker there.

I requires a lot of precision, definalty something to keep me motivated.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I have a D-09 12, it was set-up at the Oxnard shop where I picked it up. (back when they were doing that).
I have never had it touched again, I use either Elixr or D'add lights. The guitar stays in tune remarkably well.
I take this as a sign of a very stable neck. I don't think there is cause for concern on a Larrivee neck. In my opion a double truss rod would just make the guitar heavier.
It plays like a dream and much easier than some 6's I have played.
My callouses seem to handle the 12 well, in fact I believe it might be easier on the finger to play a 12 since the strings are spread over a slightly larger area.
I think it does take a little more hand strength to grab a chord cleanly though.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

My D-03-12 is 10+ years old and no neck problems. I keep light gauge strings on it, usually Elixirs. It holds its tune well with the factory standard tuners although these may be pre-Pings. They do have the logo.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Holly: The small G on D'Addario light gauge is only .008 compared with the high E at .010 gauge so it pays to keep a few extras of each lying around.

Also, try the Jim Dunlop nylon flatpick (.46 mm) for strumming on your 12 string. It gives a nice percussive effect contrary to what the naysayers here will tell you and it's easier on your right hand and gives you a break from finger picking.

Quote from: teh on January 26, 2009, 05:56:18 PM

Also, try the Jim Dunlop nylon flatpick (.46 mm) for strumming on your 12 string.

:+1: on the Dunlop .46mm, that was always my favorite pick for strumming my twelve.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

If your high "E" is a .010 you might want to try using this gauge for you octive "G".
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks