Louris & Olson

Started by BlastersFan55, January 23, 2009, 08:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Really looking forward to see Jayhawks founders Gary Louris & Mark Olson in Boston in a couple of weeks.  Their new album, too.

What a fabulous band tha Jayawks were, huh?  I do have to admit though, I missed Olson's vocals after he left, but man the 'hawks put up some stellar albums since then.

I like Louris' solo effort, but what really blows me away is Mark Olson's "Salvation Blues."  If you get a chance, check it out.

BF55-- 

I just checked out Louris and Olson doing Salvation Blues on youtube.  Very nice.  Enjoy the show.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Huge Jayhawks fan here.  Oddly enough, I never cared for any of the albums with Olson.  I don't care for his songwriting or his vocal style. On the other hand, I love Louris's vocals and songwriting.  In my view, which may be in the minority, the Jayhawks completely blossomed after Olson's departure.   I sort of lost touch with my alt.country stuff of late, but I did hear that Louris had put out a record.  I need to check it out.  Have fun at the show. 

Also, I'll add that Tim O'Reagan's solo record from 2006 was one of the best records I've ever heard.  I bet I've played that one over 100 times.  The song 'Riverbends' is about as good as a song can get.  I hope he comes out with another album.

I can't wait to get the new record.  Today, perhaps!  I hear it's great.  Big Blasters fan too, BTW.

Yeah, I think it is out today.  Think i'll check iTunes tonight.  Here's a pretty interesting review I just read:

http://www.nodepression.com/index.aspx

I saw Louris and Olson play together two years ago.  It was fantastic!
Enjoy.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I don't think I have ever seen a better vocal performance than I saw tonight. Just spot on - singing together as one.

Just a great show

Good deal...very happy for you!
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Thanks penner.

Everything worked for them tonight, and you could tell from the crowd reaction and the look on their faces.

They did a lot from their new album, and generous pieces from the Jayhawks years.  But, be that as it may, whatever they played, it was a good night for everybody.

Olson doesn't say much, but Louris shot down a couple of dopes yelling for some obscure country songs. Had to be there thing, but it was pretty funny - sarcastic SOB.

My wife loves 'em too..we had fun.