Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastman Archtops  (Read 3383 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

I was checking out some archtop guitars on the net, specifically on the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, and discovered these amazing (all solid) instruments:

http://www.12fret.com/new/Eastman_PG2_Pagelli_jazz_guitar_pg.html

http://www.12fret.com/new/Eastman_AR905-CE_jazz_guitar_Spt08pg.html

Man, this sure makes for craving for electrics, never thought such ideas would ever cross my mind....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
NotConvicted

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:21:17 PM »

Eastman archtops are definitely a good value for the money proposition.

Larrivee Satin Parlor
Martin OM-28JM #82 of 404
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Burns Steer
Gibson '52 ES-125
Cort Source

Haiku to Physics:
I don't understand.
Could you explain it again?
I still don't get it.
nayoud

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »

What about Eastman acoustic guitars ? that would give us an idea how good there luthiery is... but these Archtops are really beautiful ... i'm usually skeptical about Chinese made guitars. I would prefer Korean, they seemed to have better quality control, but I could be wrong on Eastman.

Larrivée L-05 Vine
Martin D-21 Special
Martin OM-28 Marquis MFG Custom
Martin OM-18 GE MFG Custom
Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS

"Be & Remember ☮"
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:26:58 AM »

What about Eastman acoustic guitars ? that would give us an idea how good there luthiery is... but these Archtops are really beautiful ... i'm usually skeptical about Chinese made guitars. I would prefer Korean, they seemed to have better quality control, but I could be wrong on Eastman.

The Eastman acoustics are actually pretty impressive, gaining momentum based on the popularity of their archtops. Personally I think it's a tough stigma to get over that  "made in China" thing (if you're paying a grand or so for a guitar), but you do get get major bang for the buck with their steel string guitars and their build quality and features are very competitive at the cost point. IMHO, I'd rather buy something "used" from an established builder or manufacturer in a non Asian country - just my own bias There are simply too many other great choices on the used market given today's economic challenges..

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »

shops are full of em in this city and they look great. They look great new...I`m waitin` to see how they stand the test of time, how they`ll be holding up 10 years down the road. I own lots of MIJs, couldn`t be happier, sorry to say but the US doesn`t have a monopoly of top notch guitars anymore, the Japanese alone have been building excellent guitars for decades...they built a lot of crap too mind... but their high ends from 30-40 years ago sell for more now than they did then, and why not...Asian countries had been working wood for centuries.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

It hasn't been 10 years, but I did buy an Eastman AR810CE archtop in 2004. It is the only Asian guitar I have. It has held up quite well thus far, and it is beautiful. I couldn't spend $5000-$10,000 on a guitar, so the Eastman was a good choice for me. The company started out building cellos and other viols so they knew a lot about instrument making before they began building guitars. They studied Bob Benedetto's work from his books and his guitars. They did their homework.
 nice guitar

(pictured below is someone else's AR810CE; not mine. The only difference is mine has an ebony tailpiece.)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »

It hasn't been 10 years, but I did buy an Eastman AR810CE archtop in 2004. It is the only Asian guitar I have. It has held up quite well thus far, and it is beautiful. I couldn't spend $5000-$10,000 on a guitar, so the Eastman was a good choice for me. The company started out building cellos and other viols so they knew a lot about instrument making before they began building guitars. They studied Bob Benedetto's work from his books and his guitars. They did their homework.
 nice guitar

(pictured below is someone else's AR810CE; not mine. The only difference is mine has an ebony tailpiece.)

I actually prefer the ebony tailpiece.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »

I actually prefer the ebony tailpiece.
I prefer the ebony tailpiece, too. One other difference I noted here is the pickguard. This looks so squared off, like a slab.
Mine looks more gracefully shaped than the one pictured here.
alisterhrae

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:45:18 PM »

Eastman make lovely looking guitars, a few of the archtops have hit stores here in the UK, they all have pickups I believe, I have not found one that could be played purely acoustically.  If there is one please let me know?
Their mandolins all look seductive and evertime I see them I am drawn to them, they look great with a great vintage vibe-but- they are quiet! I thought about buying one as a backup for my Collings (Mandolin) but I'm afraid I'm put off by the general lack of punch. They do an archtop bouzouki that looks great, Buffalo Bros had one for sale, but I would have to try it before buying in case it's 'quiet' as well.
I did buy a Godin 5th Avenue. Cheap as chips (before sterling collapse) and I love it, sounds like a pre war Gibson.

Alister
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:56 AM »

Eastman make lovely looking guitars, a few of the archtops have hit stores here in the UK, they all have pickups I believe, I have not found one that could be played purely acoustically.  If there is one please let me know?
Alister

Here is a purely acoustic Eastman on sale at a shop in my town:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EASTMAN-Hand-Carved-605-Jim-Frish-Spruce-and-Mahogany_W0QQitemZ310080548467QQihZ021QQcategoryZ47064QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

However I think you are asking if any of us have played an Eastman that is good enough to "just" play acoustically.  I have played several that were good enough for me when I visited my local shop (see their ebay store above).  They were plenty loud for my needs.  They might have not been as loud as a dreadnought in full boom, but certainly as loud as smaller flat tops.  Plus they give you that arch top sound that is generally not available from flat tops.

Scott

RS-2
alisterhrae

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

Hey Scott, thanks for that,
The UK is a bit of a wasteland for any 'interesting' acoustic guitars at the moment. I'm in Scotland and unless it's a Martin or a Taylor or Collings-forget it. It's hard to find Larrivee's as well. I love my Santa Cruz models but never see them for sale in the UK.
The Eastman acoustics look really interesting, I have no idea where or when I will ever get a chance to try one.  I really fancied the Archtop Bouzouki from Buffalo Bros but my experience with the 'quiet' mandolins put me off!

Heading to San Francisco in Feb, will check out a few places when there.

Thanks,
A
SteveD216

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »

I have been an Eastman dealer for about a year, and have been incredibly impressed by both their Archtops and their Acoustic line. The acoustic line has gained a lot of momentum in the last year, and I believe will continue to gain momentum based on the quality and value for money.

BTW Zohn, I just received a Pagelli PG-2 yesterday, the pictures don't do it justice, just a spectacular instrument.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 05:08:50 PM »

I have been an Eastman dealer for about a year, and have been incredibly impressed by both their Archtops and their Acoustic line. The acoustic line has gained a lot of momentum in the last year, and I believe will continue to gain momentum based on the quality and value for money.

BTW Zohn, I just received a Pagelli PG-2 yesterday, the pictures don't do it justice, just a spectacular instrument.
Wow, that is a terrific guitar - I wish I could hear and play one....- in fact, I want one (and a Herb Ellis signature Gibson)
thanx Steve!!

alisterhrae

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Hey Zohn,

Where are you based, and have you seen the Eastman Bouzouki?

Alister
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »

Hey Zohn,

Where are you based, and have you seen the Eastman Bouzouki?

Alister
Alistar
I live in Pretoria, sunny South Africa. No I haven't yet seen or heard any of those instruments. I just happen to know about Eastman because the Californian dealer I dealt with in the past, carries them in his inventory.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: