Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifications to my Forum III and News of the Tuners  (Read 2985 times)
rate800

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »

I am really wanting my guitar.  Alas, we must be patient and wait.  I ordered the Italian Spruce with rosewood back and sides.  I am currently playing my D-28 Marquis, which has an Adirondack top.  I am very excited about finding out what that Italian Spruce top is going to sound like.  I asked Jim at Trinity Guitars to put the strap pin in when he does the bone saddle.  I also asked him to put in a bone nut.  I ordered  a set of bone pins and a bone end plug from Bob Colosi at Custom Guitar Saddles and asked him to mail them to Jim.  Can you tell I really want to get this guitar in my hands?  Which guitar did you order?  Did you pay extra to get the herringbone?  I seem to hear a lot of people talking about their all hog guitar?  What else are you going to do to your guitar?  I really like the idea about glossing it up, but am going to wait and see what some others looks like after they buff theirs out. 

Ray L Teel

LS-03R #4 forum III
Martin D-35
Martin D-28 Marquis
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »

I am really wanting my guitar.  Alas, we must be patient and wait.  I ordered the Italian Spruce with rosewood back and sides.  I am currently playing my D-28 Marquis, which has an Adirondack top.  I am very excited about finding out what that Italian Spruce top is going to sound like.  I asked Jim at Trinity Guitars to put the strap pin in when he does the bone saddle.  I also asked him to put in a bone nut.  I ordered  a set of bone pins and a bone end plug from Bob Colosi at Custom Guitar Saddles and asked him to mail them to Jim.  Can you tell I really want to get this guitar in my hands?  Which guitar did you order?  Did you pay extra to get the herringbone?  I seem to hear a lot of people talking about their all hog guitar?  What else are you going to do to your guitar?  I really like the idea about glossing it up, but am going to wait and see what some others looks like after they buff theirs out. 

Since Jim has graciously offered to install bone saddles of the F3s I'll probably just put in a K & K pure western mini pickup and gloss the body and that'll be it.    If the tuners are the standard pings I may upgrade to Gotoh 510s before long.  I'm one of the hog/hog people  (that sounds funny) that you referred to.   I think the LS hog body and top with a nice rubbed-out gloss will look very, very nice.
Herrignbone all the way too.  Like you, I am finding it difficult to wait.  Instant gratification and all that.

Tuffythepug
rate800

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »

I completely forgot about the conversation I had with Jim about the tuners.  I was going to have Jim upgrade them for me, but he asked me to wait and see what Larrivee would do.  He thought they may give us some good schallers.  Thanks for reminding me.  So everyone who is concerned about those pings.  We have to wait and see what Larrivee does, but Jim thought they were going to do something nice for us.  Maybe.

Ray L Teel

LS-03R #4 forum III
Martin D-35
Martin D-28 Marquis
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:50:47 AM »

...  What (else) are you going to do to your guitar? ...
Nothing.  Just play it daily and enjoy the heck out of the sound.

Play it daily for best results.
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 02:02:38 AM »

I'm going to rub cheetah blood on it to make play faster.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »

I got the hog/hog too, with the h-bone.  I think it will really look nice against the hog, and be a real nice complement to my OM-09 h-bone.

Hey, spring will be here before you know it.  Pitchers & catchers report to spring training in abput 3 weeks! 
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »

Hmm, Since I am receiving the guitar directly from Vancouver, I won't have a bone saddle from Jim... So I'll just enjoy my hog monster as is :)
and hopefully I won't have to switch out the tuners.

I am really wanting to keep it all stock :)

Jeffrey

Trinity Guitars

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »

I have some long term modifications in mind. Now I am talking Luther's time here. So here is the list:
1) Wear out the frets, I mean some good divits in the first few positions.
2) Dent the top. I know it is going to happen at some point so I will just plan on that happening. and love it whan it does.
3) Wear out the custom hat. I an thinking sweat stains all around the base of the hat.
4) Stickers on the case. I have never done this and it is so cool.
5) Most important. Make it the best sounding one by playing the snot out of it. 
Jim Holler

Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »

I have some long term modifications in mind. Now I am talking Luther's time here. So here is the list:
1) Wear out the frets, I mean some good divits in the first few positions.
2) Dent the top. I know it is going to happen at some point so I will just plan on that happening. and love it whan it does.
3) Wear out the custom hat. I an thinking sweat stains all around the base of the hat.
5) Most important. Make it the best sounding one by playing the snot out of it. 
Jim Holler

Amen. Preach it, brother!!!!

with you all the way...  it's the stuff MOJO is made of... Yeah... that's what I'm sayin'

BTW, Jim, do you need a chaplain in your store. I'd volunteer.  I just want to be around lots of guitars...

and you of course... and drag me along for your winter cycling rides... I can make you feel really superior.  +1

ricky
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »

I'm going to empty out all the cash.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:31:05 AM »

I'm going to empty out all the cash.

holly

I would think so, it would sound awfully muffled if you didn't.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:03 AM »

I can't stress enough how cool this is.

Now I'm going to go play the tar out of Martin D-18 because she's starting to warm up.

- Adam

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »

Gonna encase mine in 3 foot deep clear acrylic and donate it to the Smithsonian.
                                                         NOT.....

PLAY PLAY PLAY AND PLAY and then....Maybe get Ricky,Randy,Tadpole. T the P and A few more to sign it somewhere. But not on the PERFECT IS top. Maybe some kinda Card that will stay in the case.

Heh Jim,can my hat be a Cowboy hat? I'll pay extra.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »

Gonna encase mine in 3 foot deep clear acrylic and donate it to the Smithsonian.
                                                         NOT.....

PLAY PLAY PLAY AND PLAY and then....Maybe get Ricky,Randy,Tadpole. T the P and A few more to sign it somewhere. But not on the PERFECT IS top. Maybe some kinda Card that will stay in the case.

Heh Jim,can my hat be a Cowboy hat? I'll pay extra.

you mean like this?

I too hope in 20yrs, my F3 will be like Willie Nelson's Trigger.

and  iff that's the case.... could mine be a toque?? 

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:58:48 AM »

Willies git is the same body size and the bridge is in the same location.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:38 AM »

I think he should put some holes in the bridge and string it up with 13's. 

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 01:35:51 AM »

I love stickers on the case!  Pic one is my OM-09 case.

In case your wondering, the quilt in the background was made by my lovely wife from my many concert t-shirts.  She's a "long-arm quilter", and has a part time business do the final touches on folks bedspreads, etc.    Pic two is her longarmer..check this machine out.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »

Thats a serious sewing machine...   

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 03:22:21 AM »

Thats a serious sewing machine...   

Agreed. In my hands that would be a rushed trip to the hospital, waiting to happen.

BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 05:22:18 AM »

It is quite the machine....you oughta see it work.  I thought I was lugging  a gatling gun in the house when it was delivered.

My wife does great quilting patterns with it.   Folks sew their blocks together for a keepsake blanket or something like that, give it to my wife, and she puts the final touches on it.   

Yup, real nice work!   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: