Larrivee F33 Mandolin WOW!

Started by kolaubhan, January 22, 2009, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK, big time newbie here.  I came to the forum looking for information on The Larivee F33 mando.  Information seems to be skimpy at best...

The short version...  I just bought one, and it is nothing short of amazing.  Power, tone, sustain & projection, big time!  Beauty!

Longer version...  One or two notes out of this great mando, and I had to have it.  I have been playing mandolin for 25+ years, and guitar longer, but never has a mando said "buy me," this dramatically.   Thanks to the nice folks at Larrivee, I was able to by mine directly from Larrivee at NAMM.  No waiting.  I don't know if there actually is a waiting list for these, but I predict that there will be a long one as soon as more people hear these and start dreaming.  They sound that great.  I was able to select from three of them, and all three were powerful tone cannons.

If you play mandolin...  check the Larrivees out.

If you know where to find info, please post it here. 

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks for the review man...and Welcome!  I have now new info for you but would love to see some pictures if you have some!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Oh noes! Now I'll have to have one. You realize that this will mean divorce. Thanks kolaubhan. Oh and welcome to the forum.    :gotpics:

I took some nice pics, but I need help to post them.  Help!  Maybe, I need to upload them somewhere else and post the hyperlink here?  Help? 

Quote from: kolaubhan on January 22, 2009, 02:56:08 PM
I took some nice pics, but I need help to post them.  Help!  Maybe, I need to upload them somewhere else and post the hyperlink here?  Help? 

That would be your best bet, photobucket maybe. Thats what I use

Oh, and  :welcome: to the Forum and congrats on the new Mando.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Welcome to the Forum. It looks like you will fit well here. First post has given us GAS!
Ron

Wow, very nice looking instrument. The varnish finish makes it look much older.
Ron

Oh bless my soul, that is incredibly sweet! Very nice job on the photos too. 

I hate to be redundant, but WOW    :nana_guitar

:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

WOW! Very nice looking! Great to hear they sound nice!

Here is an early brochure...

enjoy!
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Beautiful mandolin!  The gold tuners and tailpiece are awesome.  Larrivee builds incredible mando's.
Ray L Teel

LS-03R #4 forum III
Martin D-35
Martin D-28 Marquis

Thanks Dave42 for posting the information.  What I would still like to find out is who makes the tuners & tailpiece, and does Larrivee make their own bridge.  The tuners look sort of like Schallers, but there is a tension screw that acts against the housing for tension.  So, this mando stays in tune without the $500 cost of a set of Waverleys.  The tailpiece looks and functions like the Randy Allen, but there are some differences.  The bridge is a simple vintage style, but really well done.

I was over on the Collings forum last night, and read a few posts from scroll police.  Seems that the Larrivee scroll is not exactly the same as Gibson and Weber.  Personally, I don't care about the scroll and I don't think they would be discussing the scroll if they knew how these mandos sound.