Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Played an RS-4...  (Read 4191 times)
GChang

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »

Big Mistake! Now I can't stop thinking about it. I thought the days of electric guitar lust were behind me, but here we go again...

I'll have to go back, play it some more and write up a review.

But I've got to say that it was simply the finest solidbody guitar I've ever played. The workmanship was fantastic, even besting a PRS i also played. But the tones and responsiveness capture everything we love about Larrivee acoustics, in an electric guitar.

Every tone was rich and refined, and the controls were sweet and responsive at every setting. I'm simly gushing over how good that thing sounded.

If you've ever listened to classic Les Paul recordings like Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers, Peter Green, the early Allman Brother or ZZ Top,  well, this guitar is there.

Its sounds, build quality, component quality and looks were all far above any new Les Paul I've played.

And at the asking price it seems a bargain, (if you can believe it...)

Anyway... I shouldn't have played it. now i must own one...

2008 Larrivee LV-03R
Ibanez Prestige Artstar AS-193 Semi-hollow
1979 Benedetto/Tobias Oval-Hole Archtop
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Phil Jones AAD Cub-100
L.R. Baggs M1, Para and iBeam
K&K Pure and Ultra Pure and Pure XLR preamp
ADK Mics for recording, EV and Shure for gigs
And a bunch of other stuff I need to sort out...
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »

I haven't played one yet, and from what you are saying I will run away at first sighting.  nice guitar

Ron

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »

If you've ever listened to classic Les Paul recordings like Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers, Peter Green, the early Allman Brother or ZZ Top,  well, this guitar is there.

Oh, don't say that.  Please don't say that....

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »

It's interesting, though.  I thought at first that the longer scale would take the RS-4 some way out of "classic LP tone" territory.  But you and all the reviews I've read say otherwise.  I wonder why.

D-03RE
D-03-12

KenHolden

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »

I've been waiting to get to try one of these out.    great review of the guitar. i love my larrivee's, but i also love my Gibson electrics.  if i could mix them together somehow..... hahaa. 

one of the shops close to me said that because they're such a high end guitar, and expensive, (not to give the price the person in the shop said, but his price was almost double what you would see them advertised on other websites)    they then proceded to tell me that their other brands of electrics are superior, and better value.  then i asked if he had ever tried one, and then he proceded to say "no"

i wouldn't ask a store to bring in a guitar just so i can try it out, without the intention of buying it.   now, id i had the funds available, and had the intent of buying it, I'd have one brought in so i could make up my mind on it.   most stores in my experience will bring in things to try if you put some funds down on it, and some will refund that down payment if you don't like the guitar.    its all part of the customer service i guess.  they can't force you to buy the guitar (unless you sign some sort of contract), and if they refuse to give the payment back, they'd probally end up losing a customer. 

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »

I've seen RS-4s at both Long & McQuade and Twelfth Fret in Toronto.

The ones I saw are now gone....

D-03RE
D-03-12

GChang

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:06 AM »

I'll try to post a more in-depth review later this week. Whenever I can play it for a prolonged period of time.

My friend Mike picked his up last week- I can't wait to try it out.

I've always loved Gibson electrics, but they're awfully expensive compared to the competition.

In terms of quality, the RS-4 is closer to Hamer than to a Gibson Custom Shop- it's that perfect.

The woods, metal hardware and electric components are all the best you can get, but the guitar is more than a sum of its parts. The craftsmanship is really what makes it so special.

Simply put, if you like thick, rich and warm electric guitar tones, you owe it to yourself to try one.

I know they're not inexpensive, but compared to any guitar of similar quality, the asking price is very, very reasonable.

2008 Larrivee LV-03R
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Phil Jones AAD Cub-100
Ge0ff

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »

I have to totally agree with GChang - the RS4 is phenomenal! If you play one it will haunt you...

My wonderful wife gave me one for Fathers' Day last year, tobacco sunburst, SN 165. The quality, feel, playability and sound put this instrument in a class by itself. When you consider what it would cost to buy anything even in the same league from Gibson or PRS the RS4 is a bargain at thousands less, and that's *if* you could find a current production Gibson that was anywhere near as sweet. Don't get me wrong, I am (was?) a LP guy - the RS4 is just that good. My LP case is getting dusty now.

Now if I could only play it well... 

If you're in the Atlanta area Sam Ash or Galaxy have them from time to time but if you go play one just remember...you've been warned!

Since I'm a long time lurker but newbie poster donuts are still in order!   

Geoff

FIII #45 IS/Hog
Long time Larrivee Fan
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »

I gave into my GAS at Christmas. The RS-4 is my favourite guitar right now. I need a new little amp to go with it though. Anybody try or know anything about the Mack Heatseeker 18? Looks and sounds nasty. 

http://www.mackamps.com/products_Amp_hs_18.asp
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »

I gave into my GAS at Christmas. The RS-4 is my favourite guitar right now. I need a new little amp to go with it though. Anybody try or know anything about the Mack Heatseeker 18? Looks and sounds nasty. 

http://www.mackamps.com/products_Amp_hs_18.asp

I don't know anything about Macks, but a friend of mine just picked up a Carr Mercury. Unbelievable tone and dynamics!

Ron

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »

The Carr Mercury is incredible -- I played one for about an hour when I was in Ottawa last fall, and really lusted for it.  (Nobody stocks them in Toronto.)  They're much more expensive than the Macks though.  I've seen the Macks at the Twelfth Fret.  They seem pretty cool, but I haven't tried one out for more than a couple of minutes.

D-03RE
D-03-12

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

Yes well, if I wanted to spend the family fortune I could get a Marshall 1974x too. I'm looking at the Macks because they are supposed to be in the same league, for a lot less. You can hear them on Youtube. They sound awesome.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »

Duck
Pardon my ignorance with regard to amps.  I'm wondering what makes the Mack or Carr Mercury so much better than a plain old Fender Blues Jr. ?   The 15w BJ that I have is more than ample for what I need most of the time.  I do have an older Fender Blues Deluxe to handle the heavy chores but the Blues Jr. seems totally adequate.  Help a brother out here. . . .  what's the attraction of these other amps. ?  By the way, I'm real happy the RS-4 is living at your place now.  I know you wanted it for a long time.   
Tuffythepug
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

A Blues Jr. is a great amp.  What people loved about the Carr Mercury -- apart from its naturally good sound --  is that it was one of the first amps to be made with a built-in attenuator, so you can crank the amp to 9 or 10 and get full natural overdrive at a range of wattage levels, from (IIRC) eight all the way down to 1/10.  (BTW, that 1/10 setting is really quiet.)

The other cool thing about the Mercury is that it runs that low wattage into a full-size cabinet with a 12-inch speaker.  A lot of low-watt amps use smaller speakers, and usually sound a little boxy as a result.

I can't remember if the Macks have the same attenuator feature.  The guys at the Twelfth Fret are quite big on the Macks (they're built in Canada), and they have several in stock.

D-03RE
D-03-12

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

No fancy attentuators, it's a simple little beast. I have a Blues Deluxe and I like it fine but there's something about these little mind melters that just hits the spot. It's difficult to get the right amount of natural distortion in a 40 watt amp without having it being too loud for most settings. It's much easier to achieve that perfect distortion at lower volumes with the 18 watter.   
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

No fancy attentuators, it's a simple little beast. I have a Blues Deluxe and I like it fine but there's something about these little mind melters that just hits the spot. It's difficult to get the right amount of natural distortion in a 40 watt amp without having it being too loud for most settings. It's much easier to achieve that perfect distortion at lower volumes with the 18 watter.   

That's exactly why I picked up the little Blues Jr. a few years ago.   The Blues Deluxe is great but it weighs a ton and i'ts hard to get those overdriven tones without an accompanying big volume to go with them.    The Mack sounds intriguing.  If I ever run across one here in the states I'll give it a whirl.

GChang

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »

Ge0ff, sounds like you've got your soulmate there, (the wife not the RS!)

You're exactly right though, to get a similar guitar from any other builder you'd have to spend at least 1500-2000 dollars more.

For a Gibson, you'd have to spend far more than that. ($5000 for an R9, $300 for Lollars, $150 for Tonepros, $150 for the RS and Luxe components, etc.) And then, the guitar still wouldn't have the flawless workmanship of the Larrivee.

I was looking at Les Pauls, PRS and other similar guitars, but I think I'm going to have to get the RS-4, as soon as I can spare the funds!  It's just head and shoulders above the competition.

2008 Larrivee LV-03R
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Phil Jones AAD Cub-100
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »

Yes, I will have me an RS-4, but later rather than sooner because I just blew the toy budget on a Forum III guitar. Gotta start saving again.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »

I bought my Tobacco Burst RS4 in September and I love it so much that it is now my favorite, (at the moment, F-III coming).  .  It is well built, and the fit and finish is impeccable.  The electronics are top notch.  I took it to my guitar class and everyone was amazed.  Some people had PRS, Gibson, etc but all were interested in the RS4. Most thought it sounded great, but some mumbled amongst themselves,  (a couple of Les Paul owners).  I thought my RS4 sounded best in the class.  All were impressed with the workmanship.     This guitar is definitely a keeper for me. nice guitar

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: