Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Randy_R on March 21, 2009, 11:38:12 AM
keep pumping us up, we who are still waiting     :smile:
Well, I'll say this (which of course may stir some conversation) The mahogany Italian spruce combination is incredible in it's tone definition. I was playing some bare fingerstyle this morning, but I couldn't help strumming and digging in. The top is so reactive and the whole box vibrates. I think this git is going to be a fine strummer as well.
         Mine is set low so some buzz would be there if you use a heavy pick, but set up standard I think this MH/IS would do pretty much anything you asked of it.
         I know it's just my view and I've only had seven other Larrivees to compare to, but this one lives up to every expectation that I had of it and I do think it is the best one I have owned so far, yet it's cost was so much less.
        The special attention they gave these is noticeable in many ways, most of all in the sound, but the looks are uniquely Larrivee with the LS body.
        If there are any MH/IS gits left, grab one. I personally believe they have the edge in tone and projection/resonance. I thought they would from the moment they offered them in that combo and I for one am totally satisfied in my expectations.
danny

I wish I would've chosen IS/MH combo... the white IS looks so pretty! and seems like the IS is the real deal..!

But it is unreasonable for me to have 2 spruce/hog combo guitars.. :).. and I am sycked about my first all hog guitar!

hopefully it comes soon!
Jeffrey

Hey,

Did everyone see this amazing photo that Tuffy posted in the picture section comparing his OOO-50 and his new Forum III??  I hope Tuffy doesn't mind me posting it here.  Its such an awesome photo and he deserves to get some credit in this section.  Very interesting comparison between the two guitars.  They are much more similar than I would have thought.  You also can see that they used a very high quality of wood (probably much better than is typically used for 03 series guitars) for our Forum III guitars.   We are very lucky to be the new owners of the Forum III guitars and Tuffy is even a luckier guy for owning both the FIII and the OOO.  

Jordan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

I told Lynn after I saw his F-III in person the Friday before the tour (his was right next to mine) that his was the best looking one of the F-III's.
                           (But I still think mine sounds better :winkin:)
danny

danny/ when you guys visited the factory, were all 78 guitars ready to be shipped??
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on March 21, 2009, 12:22:58 PM
danny/ when you guys visited the factory, were all 78 guitars ready to be shipped??
No, most were just needing tuners, end pins and stringing up. But a few were sent back to be re-done due to some glitch or error in something like fretboard dots on the wrong side of the neck.
          Vancouver Southpaw's git had to be made from scratch, because his was made a righty, so that one is available to purchase. I think it was a MH/IS.
danny

Not all were ready to be shipped while we were there.  Edwin really dug in to get the ones for the tour people who wanted to take theirs with them ready on the day we were there.  I think all except vancouver southpaw's will be ready to ship by the 25th of March or so.  It takes about an hour or so per guitar for the final steps (machine heads, end pins, saddles, strings and set up).  As quickly as Ed works, he takes great care in each one.
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: es-335 on March 21, 2009, 12:11:58 PM
I wish I would've chosen IS/MH combo...

One thing I feel safe saying, no matter what you chose, you will really, really enjoy this guitar. The reviews of it after a year or two are what I am waiting to hear. But I think you will always wonder if you should have ordered something different. I can only say that I am still wondering if I should have gotten the herringbone, or the cutaway, and even though I am getting both RW and hog, I am still gassing for an all-hog (but only if it has the herringbone - it really sets off the hog top, plus I have the Forum 1 without it). This has been a really great experience, and having had the opportunity to play a few different Forum 3s but not actually taking mine home, my frustration level is through the roof!

I took my LS-10 down for a professional set-up ( and to remove the UST - another thread ) and between playing that and my Forum 1, I am maintaining good thoughts as best I can -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I know that when we were looking for BenF's guitar, I was pointed to another rack that was still going through the finish spray process.  There is a couple of photos in my slide show that show a full rack of 50 or so guitars, so there was another full rack being finished.

They are the ones in the red circle.

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Quote from: tadol on March 21, 2009, 12:35:54 PM
One thing I feel safe saying, no matter what you chose, you will really, really enjoy this guitar. The reviews of it after a year or two are what I am waiting to hear. But I think you will always wonder if you should have ordered something different. I can only say that I am still wondering if I should have gotten the herringbone, or the cutaway, and even though I am getting both RW and hog, I am still gassing for an all-hog (but only if it has the herringbone - it really sets off the hog top, plus I have the Forum 1 without it). This has been a really great experience, and having had the opportunity to play a few different Forum 3s but not actually taking mine home, my frustration level is through the roof!

I took my LS-10 down for a professional set-up ( and to remove the UST - another thread ) and between playing that and my Forum 1, I am maintaining good thoughts as best I can -

Tad

Well, I for one am not regretting or wondering at all. Once I played mine and heard it played by ST, Edwin, Jeremey and later by Dermot I knew this was it.
    Also hearing Jim Holler play his MH/IS. I mean no offense at all to anyone. I just mean what I say, no regret or wondering... I made the right choice.
danny

One thing I feel safe saying, no matter what you chose, you will really, really enjoy this guitar. ...... I am still gassing for an all-hog (but only if it has the herringbone - it really sets off the hog top)....... This has been a really great experience, and having had the opportunity to play a few different Forum 3s but not actually taking mine home, my frustration level is through the roof!

Tad

Tad,

I hear you on every thought.  I love the looks of the all Mahogany with the HB, and I was amazed at how clear they sounded.  I am really anxious to get my M/IS as well.  It was hard to leave it, but I am looking forward to Jim's magic in the guitar as well.  I played my Taylor GS Mahogany Cedar last night, and I was thinking back to the sound of the FIII, it just wasn't the same.  It was good, just not the same.
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Jordan
I didn't mind you putting the picture up here.  I didn't think of it.   It does demonstrate quite well the quality of the wood we were lucky enough to get on our guitars.
Also, with regard to the sound of these different wood combos.  I heard all the different ones played in the hands of great players and they all sound fantastic.   It would be hard to get over 70 people to agree on anything, I suppose, but I'm betting there will be few, if any, regrets.  Mostly it will come down to personal preferences and I'm sure that if someone is not happy with theirs they will have no problem selling it in a heartbeat here on the forum.

T the P

Quote from: dependan on March 21, 2009, 12:27:23 PM

Vancouver Southpaw's git had to be made from scratch, because his was made a righty, so that one is available to purchase. I think it was a MH/IS.
danny

Actually it's all-hog, basic without the HB purfling or cutaway.

Mike

Well, I chose the MH/IS and I know I'll be happy...I'm not a huge rosewood fan but if I was able to, I would have done the same as Tad and gotten one of each...heck, if I could have, I probably would have gotten an all hog too!

I contacted Jim Holler earlier today to pay the balance so as soon as it's ready to go, Larrivee will be shipping it directly to me.  That, btw, is another plus and Jim Holler should be thanked again for making that happen.  No, I won't get a set up from Jim but I will get my guitar sooner.  I need to get another K&K now....

And thanks for the pics Danny    :nice guitar:

Have most of you paid in full or just paid the deposit so far?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Tad, I am with you and feel your pain. My guitar is still with John. Some of the Canadian guitars were shipped but not mine :crying:
I wait with the rest of you.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Dotneck on March 21, 2009, 03:11:27 PM

Mine is paid for in full, along with anyone else who already has theirs.  I'm pretty sure that Jim will not ship any guitars out until they are paid for though.  When you pay is up to you.
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: Dotneck on March 21, 2009, 03:11:27 PM

I paid ages ago, for no reason other than the pound sterling is now worth less than fluff and toenail clippings.  It was a gamble, but I am glad I paid when I did.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 21, 2009, 03:17:33 PM
  Tad, I am with you and feel your pain. My guitar is still with John. Some of the Canadian guitars were shipped but not mine :crying:
I wait with the rest of you.
Jim Holler
Yea, I couldn't believe y'all didn't take one with you. Of course in Tad's case I would'n't of been able to take mine (our car was packed)
               Jim, I read your review of the F-III MH/IS somewhere. Where did you post that? I thought your description was very good.
danny

Quote from: dependan on March 21, 2009, 03:41:43 PM
 Yea, I couldn't believe y'all didn't take one with you. Of course in Tad's case I would'n't of been able to take mine (our car was packed)
               Jim, I read your review of the F-III MH/IS somewhere. Where did you post that? I thought your description was very good.
danny
Danny  I found it but not sure how to post the link so here it is again.
"Hi Guys.  I put some photos of the day up on my facebook page. It was a blast to meet everyone. I gotta say I am a very hard person to impress with a guitar. Occupational hazard I fear. I love my new LS03HB Forum III. I was expecting a very nice guitar but was very happy with the comfort and deep base on this guitar. The high end was bright with lots of overtones but with the clarity we expect from a Larrivee L. The build quality was impeccable! The base thumped my chest when I put it is double drop d. All in all a guitar I look froward to playing a lot.   A big thanks to Larrivee and to John Jr and his staff for doing such a great job on the guitars and putting up with us for the day.
     Like most of you I must now wait for Larrivee to ship my guitar!"
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com