Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on March 18, 2009, 01:12:14 AM
                 That is true, but remember JCL said this was cut in "1972" :thumbsup
danny

1972.  Wow I wasn't aware of that.  Makes it even more special.  Excellent

Quote from: dependan on March 18, 2009, 01:12:14 AM
                 That is true, but remember JCL said this was cut in "1972" :thumbsup
danny

Does that mean it comes with shag carpeting and a waterbed?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

We have missed you wit around here lately holly.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Hey Danny -sounds like you had an indescribable time in 'Cover. Did the pilots hassle you about keeping your git in the 'pit? You don't look like a man that takes no for an answer very easily. So glad you got your Forum III to take home. Can you describe the sound to all so we have an idea what to expect, with some words that are more definitive? My OM-05 sounds fantastic, slightly different body dimensions, but close. The LS is basically a mini L, but I'm really curious about the 12 to the neck effect.The I/S is adding something to the sound, I'm sure. You got the same wood combo as I did, so they should sound simliar. Though, every one has it's own voice. Just some comments on bass, mids, treble, sustain, etc.. Did I leave anything out ? I was worried that the Forum git would sound too close to my OM, but Dave Wren said they wouldn't. Can you ease my mind & tell me the same? :thumb
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Hey, Bluesman1, are you in Toronto and, if so, are you going to show your guitar to David Wren the boys at 12th Fret. I am going to be in TO for a day in late April or early May and I was planning on bring my Forum III to show them. I thought they might be interested. But, if you are going to show them yours (that doesn't sound right :ohmy:) I won't drag my guitar along with me.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the continent. I live in East Haven, CT, which is not too close to 12th Fret. Dave was nice enough to spend about 10 minutes on the phone with me, with what sounded like a real busy store happening in the background. I'd love to show him, but financially I can't swing it, just like the "Couver trip. I'm still sad about not being able to go on that. Wouldn't have been able to take my git home like the chosen few, but a great time & a missed chance to hook up with other Forumnites. :crying:
You can call me Jeff also, if it's easier.

I'm in Toronto and would be more than happy to show off my new Forum III (once it arrives) to David Wren.  I ordered the all hog version.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

My promise to not look at any photos until I receive my guitar is REALLY starting to be hard to stay true to, right about now....

AUGGGGGH!
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 18, 2009, 09:44:49 AM
Hey Danny -sounds like you had an indescribable time in 'Cover. Did the pilots hassle you about keeping your git in the 'pit? You don't look like a man that takes no for an answer very easily. So glad you got your Forum III to take home. Can you describe the sound to all so we have an idea what to expect, with some words that are more definitive? My OM-05 sounds fantastic, slightly different body dimensions, but close. The LS is basically a mini L, but I'm really curious about the 12 to the neck effect.The I/S is adding something to the sound, I'm sure. You got the same wood combo as I did, so they should sound simliar. Though, every one has it's own voice. Just some comments on bass, mids, treble, sustain, etc.. Did I leave anything out ? I was worried that the Forum git would sound too close to my OM, but Dave Wren said they wouldn't. Can you ease my mind & tell me the same? :thumb
Jeff   :guitar
Jim Holler has posted re: the tone of bass,treble and highs. I feel like it is a special sound for a Larrivee. Anyone reading this needs to keep in mind I am referring to the Mahogany back and sides with the Italian spruce top.
I played mine first in a small room where the sound came back to me and I loved the tone. I played it bare fingered, no strumming.
                         I described it as "saying what it wants to say and moving on"ie.
                         Very clear
                          "      resonant
                          PUNCHY
                          not at all like rosewood with overtones and warmth
     OK I hope that helps a little. I set mine up (or ED did way low) If you pick strum it hard it will buzz (of course)
but you could strum the ones with standard set up just fine.
      Jim Holler played a classical song on his (MH/IS) and it sounded like it was ready to hit the studio, very clear.
I guess after 6 rosewood/sitka Larrivees and my RW/Sitka OM-21 Martin I was ready for hog. Now this may seem like an oxymoron but for a "worship" player or someone who wants that warm sounding rich overtone type of git, the RW/IS is a better choice. If you play fingerstyle or even with "strumming with a statement" MH/IS will fit that style. Though of course either can be used each way.
             I heard my git put through the paces by several players much better than I. All were impressed, and all sounded fantastic to my ears. Anyone who recieives your git soon , I strongly suggest that after you play it a while let someone else play it so you can fully hear how nice it really sounds.
             It is a very light guitar, the 12 fret neck is "my fit" as well as the body size, so close to a 000-18 Martin and yet "very uniquely Larrivee" This was the right model to choose at this point in time for an F-III. The size of the body is the same as the 1971 Larrivee you see John Jr. holding in a lot of pictures (the 10th one his Dad made I believe) I like the fact that we made Larivee history with this order and we ordered a historical Larrivee in a sense.
I tried to get John Jr. to sign my label as well as his fathers which was already there. I was very touched with his deep respect for his dad. (John Jr. showed me his tattoo of JCL on his shoulder, just like the anniversary model JCL logo, he had it done in Austin, Tx. btw) John Jr. did sign my "toe tag" though and I had Ed Bond, Jeremy Freeman, Shawn and Jim holler sign one side of it and Tadol,ricky and Tuffy signed the other side. Photomatt gave me several forum III picks (which he made) and I gave some to others. He also gave some to my wife (thanks Matt)
                               I hope you all are as happy with yours as we who have ours are.

check other threads for pics and facebook etc.

danny

Jordon- if you could, when you go there, please thank him for me for his help & advice. He's so busy he might not remember, but he went on about how many of the LSs he & Jean built. When I mentioned the IS, he got real excited, as excited as a levelheaded luthier can! That's the reason I contacted him in the first place; his knowledge & hands on working with the LS style guitars. I listened & absorbed every word to make my decision on wood choice: right after I hung up!. I told him my experience was small body, rosewood.That's when he went into his dissertation on not underestimating mahogany on LS. He said they made alot with HOG, but more with R/W. Your a lucky man being so close to the store & being in "Larrivee world", where there are so many more to chose from & play. I have Youngblood Music Workshop about 10 minutes from me. George leases out the showroom to "acousticmusic.org", while he builds 3 guitars a year & mainly does repairs now. He is the most knowledgeable man I know as far as fretted instruments. He has his Master's in cultural anthropology, so a big interest in the evolution of hand tools & inst. building. He love's to share his knowledge with you also. Great guy. Known him for over 15 years. He turned me on to Larrivee, thus my ordering my L-10 Custom, among buying other Larrivees.  :bgrin:

Quote from: Jagadis on March 18, 2009, 10:57:55 AM
I'm in Toronto and would be more than happy to show off my new Forum III (once it arrives) to David Wren.  I ordered the all hog version.

Jordan.

Maybe I should bring my Italian Spruce Rosewood in for him too next time I visit.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: dependan on March 18, 2009, 11:10:34 AM
✂ ✂ ✂
             I heard my git put through the paces by several players...
✂ ✂ ✂
danny

How can you not instantly like a fellow who offers you his brand new Guitar to play.

I was one of those who got to play Danny's. I kind of got lost in it, and could have played it for hours. It sounded great in the small room at the factory. It was a delight in a small room at Mike's house. And it more than held it's own during the jam in the living room.

It was super responsive to touch. I'm largely a finger picker and this little guy had great dynamics. Soft and low or give it a little snap and it was right there with me. As for the overtones, well I can imagine this Guitar sitting in really well in a mix with someone with a full voice. Not competing, but as the perfect complement. Similarly, I can hear it fitting in well with an ensemble of darker voices.

I loved the way Danny had it set up. Nice and low - clean and quick, tons of control all over the neck (no runaway notes). And sing?!? Oh yes.

Thanks Danny.

I hope that helps someone understand this little guy better. I don't spend much time talking axes so I'm sure that my lexicon of adjectives is a little out there.

Quote from: LaminateBoy on March 18, 2009, 10:08:45 AM
Hey, Bluesman1, are you in Toronto and, if so, are you going to show your guitar to David Wren the boys at 12th Fret. I am going to be in TO for a day in late April or early May and I was planning on bring my Forum III to show them. I thought they might be interested. But, if you are going to show them yours (that doesn't sound right :ohmy:) I won't drag my guitar along with me.

David Wren is actually part of the reason why I jumped back on board with the Forum III which I am so ecstatic that I did. I plan to take it in for a further set up in two weeks and am hoping he will be there to see it.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

ST
So glad to have met you at the tour and later on.  Really enjoyed your playing and also the short conversation we had.    you did an excellent job of describing the character of this little forum III.   Words rarely fail me but I'm at a loss to come up with adequat adjectives for the little guy.  (The guitar, not Ricky  :bgrin:)

The only "downer" of the whole thing was Mike's guitar being built backwards but it turned into a positive when John let him choose his own wood for the rebuild.    We all chimed in our 2 cents worth.   Uh.....how much is that in Canadian Tire money, Johnny ?

When we got to Mikes for the jam I felt bad that Mike didn't get to have his forum III.  It will be another couple of weeks now. 
   But you should have seen him light up when I pointed to my case and said "why don't you give er a workout"     I enjoyed playing his L-19 too.   Just like Johns but without the cutaway.  What a treat for me to be able to play two excellent early Larrivee lefties.     Who knows if that will ever happen again.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 12:23:54 PM

The only "downer" of the whole thing was Mike's guitar being built backwards but it turned into a positive when John let him choose his own wood for the rebuild.    We all chimed in our 2 cents worth.   Uh.....how much is that in Canadian Tire money, Johnny ?

When we got to Mikes for the jam I felt bad that Mike didn't get to have his forum III.  It will be another couple of weeks now. 
   But you should have seen him light up when I pointed to my case and said "why don't you give er a workout"     I enjoyed playing his L-19 too.   Just like Johns but without the cutaway.  What a treat for me to be able to play two excellent early Larrivee lefties.     Who knows if that will ever happen again.

It's not much in Canadian Tire money, but it's a lot in "monkey money," eh, Lynn?

It was incredibly generous of you to hand your guitar off to Johnny and I even while we were still at the factory - but us lefties have to stick together!

Now it's my....turn....to....be.....patient - along with everyone else who is still waiting...

Mike

OK, you guys are killing me.  Can someone PLEASE give a review of how the IS/RW F3 sounds?
:wave
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 18, 2009, 03:26:26 PM
OK, you guys are killing me.  Can someone PLEASE give a review of how the IS/RW F3 sounds?
:wave

I heard it sucks.

Bwahahahahhahaaaaaaa....here, let me help you up.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Joseph
Don't you worry.   The rosewood sounds incredible too.   I heard a few being played at the shop and also Ricky was playing his at the jam.  I think Johnny37 has the rosewood too and his sounded great. The volume and the overtones are going to really surprise you. This is not a small guitar sound in any way.  It has both bark and bite.    Watch out, you might hurt yourself with this thing.  :laughin:

Also I am sending you a PM in a few minutes with more info.

Lynn

Hey there Lynn,

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 12:23:54 PM
ST
So glad to have met you at the tour and later on.  Really enjoyed your playing and also the short conversation we had.    you did an excellent job of describing the character of this little forum III.   Words rarely fail me but I'm at a loss to come up with adequat adjectives for the little guy.  (The guitar, not Ricky  :bgrin:)

✂ ✂ ✂

Right back at cha Lynn. It was great meeting you. Thanks for helping me to hear the differences between the Spruce top and the Mahogany top back that the factory.  I enjoyed your songs later at Mike's place. You are great company.