Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been out all week,  lots of new information it looks like for the Forum III.  How are ya'll getting your particular guitar number?  Where is this facebook site that I can keep an eye for my guitar too!  Thanks for all that are posting the pictures, sure does keep things exciting.

Quote from: morrow22 on February 13, 2009, 05:43:28 PM
I have been out all week,  lots of new information it looks like for the Forum III.  How are ya'll getting your particular guitar number?  Where is this facebook site that I can keep an eye for my guitar too!  Thanks for all that are posting the pictures, sure does keep things exciting.

Go to Facebook and search for Larrivee Forum III Guitar. In addition, the pics are being posted in the picture section on this forum.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: Randy_R on February 12, 2009, 07:20:33 PM
Jim Holler said he would try to find some clear pickguards for us. So I'm in a wait mode until I hear what he has or hasn't found. Give him some time.

I spoke to Jim today on some F-3 related stuff.  I asked about the clear pickguards, and was told that he had not found anything as of yet, and he had pretty much given up on it.  I guess we are on our own for it, or just go without.  On a good news note, he said that lately he has been getting Larrivee guitars with D'Addario strings on them instead of the Cleartones.  Could this mean we can play our F-3 gits right away before we change the strings?  Are they done yet???? :tongue: 
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Good grief.  I now look at the spec and orders thread, and see that Larrivee has found some clear satin pickguards.  According to Randy, each guitar will ship with a clear AND a tortoise pickguard.  Things just keep getting better and better. :bowdown:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Thanks, found the pictures, what is the link to the facebook?

Quote from: johnny37 on February 13, 2009, 05:55:09 PM
I spoke to Jim today on some F-3 related stuff.  I asked about the clear pickguards, and was told that he had not found anything as of yet, and he had pretty much given up on it.  I guess we are on our own for it, or just go without.  On a good news note, he said that lately he has been getting Larrivee guitars with D'Addario strings on them instead of the Cleartones.  Could this mean we can play our F-3 gits right away before we change the strings?  Are they done yet???? :tongue: 
The phone rang as soon as we got off the line. It was John Larrivee telling me that he had found some of the old satin clear pickguards and the every guitar will ship with the standard one and the clear in the case.
  Good news!
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

hey Jim,

How hard is it to put the pickguard perfectly on the guitar??
Jeffrey

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on February 13, 2009, 06:23:45 PM
  The phone rang as soon as we got off the line. It was John Larrivee telling me that he had found some of the old satin clear pickguards and the every guitar will ship with the standard one and the clear in the case.
  Good news!

:nanadance   For  those who were speculating about some kind of extra from Larrivée.   Here it is.......... :nanadance

THANK-YOU, John and Jim....    :bowdown:

ds :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Re: Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait
                                              « Reply #666 on: Today at 05:10:46 PM »

(There it is again)

And there is Daysailer at 659. Unavoidable for any frequent poster. Better get used to it, or even better ignore it.

Easy to say when one is barely over 200 posts.  :humour:

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

I got the tortoise as an extra from Jim (so - 1 clear)....but man, those Larrivee cats are OK!   :cheers

I've never been involved in a cyber group thing that has evolved into something like this.  This is pretty darn cool .  By the way, I spied #14 on pictures! I'm in line somewhere!  :nana_guitar 

And to think I wondered if there would be enough room for me.

Quote from: GeeNorm on February 13, 2009, 07:57:03 PM
And there is Daysailer at 659. Unavoidable for any frequent poster. Better get used to it, or even better ignore it.

Easy to say when one is barely over 200 posts.  :humour:

Norman
Oh no, poor daysailer. what will his post be :?

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 13, 2009, 04:40:05 PM

We could all bring sleeping bags and pretend it's a camp out.  We could even have a camp fire, I'm sure there is lots of extra wood lying around. I wonder what Bubinga smells like when it's burning.

I can tell you what tone wood smells like burning. I save all my scraps, and that is not much I try to use every bit I can. I use the Brazilian rosewood, Indian rosewood, Mahogany, Cocobloa, Bacotti, bubigna, Maple, Spanish cedar, Euro spruce and various other spruces ect to start the fire in the wood stove. Brazilian has a nice sweet smell, cedar well its cedar. The rest not so much of a small.
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Back to es-335's question-

I've got a clear pick guard on my D-03 and its great.  It provides protection without ruining the look of the guitar.  I may just hold off on sticking down the pick guard as I'm going to use my new all HOG LS-03 as a finger picker.  The biggest issue with sticking it on yourself is making sure you don't put it on crooked.  Once its stuck down it don't come off all that easy and having a crooked pick guard on such a beautiful guitar would make me nuts.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: morrow22 on February 14, 2009, 06:46:47 AM
Back to es-335's question-

It's easier to pay $20 to have it done.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Get the pickguard into position where you want it, now put a couple pieces of masking tape on the sound hole side of the pickguard.
Use this as a hinge. Tip the pickguard up and remove the backing from the double stick adhesive and carefully lower it back down into position.

Or you could pay someone to do it.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Does anyone know why Larrivee made the decision to move from the clear pick guards to the tortoise shell versions?  Was there any issue with the wood underneath the clear pick guard discoloring differently than the rest of the guitar?  I haven't noticed this on my D-03 which is now about 6 years old but I keep the guitar indoors away from any sunlight.  Just curious.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

I've heard of complaints about how the clear guards would get dirt and debris built up around the edges and look bad after a while...then start to curl on the edges...

I prefer the tortoise....

I do have a clear plastic...similar to the clear pickguards on the tank of my motorcycle....prevents sctatching when I put a tank bag on there. I don't mind it on the bike but I don't care for them on a guitar. If I get a clear one in the case...I may put it on ebay....if the supply is low you never know what kind of price it could bring at auction...could help offset the cost of the guitar itself!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1