Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Alpione on February 12, 2009, 06:41:43 PM
Right - which is why I'm asking for suggestions for an aftermarket solution.   :winkin:

Earlier in the mega-thread about this process, Jim Holler reportedly checked with Larrivee to see if they had any of the old clear guards lying around, but they didn't.  I never saw a post mentioning any alternatives, so I'm asking here...

is there any reason you wouldn't want to buy the sheet and cut it yourself? Stew Mac has the clear sheets.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Jim Holler said he would try to find some clear pickguards for us. So I'm in a wait mode until I hear what he has or hasn't found. Give him some time.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I have LMI clear pickguard material on my Seagull Cedar top, and it is glossy.
I bet the Stewmac material is the same... 
The material I have has worked very well.  The only marks in my cedar top is where there is no guard.  I polished the top before applying so the satin/glossy finishes would not present an unsightly emphasis of the differences.

I have the original Larrivee satin pickguards on my L03BW and my OM.  The satin finish of the old material was a very good match to the rest of the top.   If Larrivee does not have anymore, we may be out of luck unless they can direct us to the original supplier of that material.  My bet is Jim has already tried that and the original source has modified thier product line or discontinued that materal.

Had the above situation happen to my Sailmaker.  His pattern for my boat was awesome with the 5 oz. material from company X.  Company X changed the supplier of the base material and sold it as the same.  When I had a sail cut from that 5 oz. cloth my preformance dropped dramatically...sligtly different stretch and strength properties.  Nothing my sail maker could do.  We modified his pattern and now Lollipop is back in the front of the fleet. 

I too hope for a proper clear pickguard for my F-III....   
Finally spotted my sides in one of the latest pics.... #108509.    #63 if I was able to extrapolate the sequence correctly from one of yesterdays lists.  Thanks Randy.

ds   :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Thanks for the new pics guys...and I see a bunch of hog sides... :drool: 

But sadly, still no sign of #31....  :crying:

Great fun figuring out Facebook. Thanks to Danny for all the help. Those photos are calming, but I still don't see #47. Anybody find it ? Thanks.
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

NEWS from Jim Holler:

I just spoke to John Jr Larrivee. He will be emailing some info to me about hotels and a place for us to grab some lunch. I will be staying with him and will be at the Larrivee shop in the morning when he heads there. I think a plan to gather at 10 Am for a meet and greet. see some of the forum guitars and then grab lunch. After lunch go on the tour of the shop.     Some very good breaking news. John found some clear satin pick guards. Each guitar will be shipping with a clear satin pick guard and a tortes pick guard.    Please feel free to post this info. The pick guard news will make some very happy!

Thank you
Jim Holler, Luthier
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Cheers for Jim and his work!! WOOT!! :cheers
Jeffrey

Top quality news Randy/Jim.  I didn't want to hide the Italian Spruce, but worried about the long term with no PG.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

:bowdown:    Good on ya!   I'm getting happy now!!!!  That is good news as how I did not want that IS hidden.  Can't wait (but I will) for pics of good old #37 .
PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

Thanks Randy, Jim and John. Clear PG is the only one I would put on, or else I would have just had scars on the top.

Quote from: dependan on February 13, 2009, 04:13:16 PM
   Thanks Randy, Jim and John.

:+1:   :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Randy_R on February 13, 2009, 03:49:00 PM
NEWS from Jim Holler:

I just spoke to John Jr Larrivee. He will be emailing some info to me about hotels and a place for us to grab some lunch. I will be staying with him and will be at the Larrivee shop in the morning when he heads there.
Jim Holler, Luthier

How about I just stay at the Larrivee shop  :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar
             I'll be careful, promise.   :blush:

When it comes to wishful thinking, I like that idea!  :thumb

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quote from: dependan on February 13, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
   How about I just stay at the Larrivee shop  :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar
             I'll be careful, promise.   :blush:

We could all bring sleeping bags and pretend it's a camp out.  We could even have a camp fire, I'm sure there is lots of extra wood lying around. I wonder what Bubinga smells like when it's burning.
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 13, 2009, 04:40:05 PM

We could all bring sleeping bags and pretend it's a camp out.  We could even have a camp fire, I'm sure there is lots of extra wood lying around. I wonder what Bubinga smells like when it's burning.

Roger,

I think that's a great idea and very economical too!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I think you just ruined our chances  :winkin:

Sure, and then you could have your own version of The Blair Witch Whatever as you mysteriously and horribly disappear, one....by...one...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on February 13, 2009, 04:54:36 PM
Sure, and then you could have your own version of The Blair Witch Whatever as you mysteriously and horribly disappear, one....by...one...

holly

who'll bring the video camera?
Roger

I think that Saw guy has one.

Either that or you could have your own Jason type scenario, I mean, some of those guys with the safety glasses look a little intense. They could give a whole new meaning to the word 'soundhole'.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

This is why I never ever watch horror movies.