Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was away from the forum too long!!!!!  I cant believe I misst the chance to order one of these  :crying: I wish I could get on the list.... any one sorry they did??
Sherry
Martin 00-28VS Custom "Rosaleen"
Larrivee' P-03MT "Petunia"

I know Jim ordered an extra, you may want to call him up...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 27, 2009, 09:04:09 PM
I know Jim ordered an extra, you may want to call him up...

holly

Thanks  Holly, I will give him a call in the morning!!!
Sherry

Quote from: strawintogold on January 27, 2009, 06:24:01 PM
Here's a diversion for our friend's in the Great White North...  From our local paper. I'm not kidding, the grocery sold out of milk. It's sad, really.

holly

Snowfall Continues, May Turn to Ice Overnight
Accumulation Could Be Biggest in Years; Evening Commute May Be Messy

The first snow of the season layered one to three inches of wet snow across the region for much of this afternoon, leading some schools and businesses to close early and promising a potentially slippery end to the evening commute with a second wave of flakes that began in the suburban areas shortly after 5 p.m.

The season's first major winter weather deposited almost three inches in some spots south of the Capital Beltway before tapering off during the mid-afternoon. But by early evening, snow was picking up again. The storm will continue to toy with the region overnight and into the morning rush hour. Forecasters expected the snow to turn to freezing rain after midnight, becoming regular rain after sunrise as temperatures climb above freezing in most areas.

Holly whereabout are you?  I talked with some friends in KY and OH today and they are getting it.  Hey I'm from the Great White North orginally (western Canada) and we like to recall the time Toronto called in the Canadian Army after a snowstorm

Quote from: stuco on January 28, 2009, 12:44:29 AM
:ph34r:

I'm too lazy to go through and find what the forum 3 guitar will be so can someone tell me the specs?

Here you go:   http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24123.0

Everything you need to know about the Forum III LS-03 "doghouse" guitar   :wink:

I feel like a stranger here already.

My last post was back in page 8 when Matt posted his version of the "The Wait" parody of the "The Weight."

Thanks for the education. When I finally listened to Matts recording, I recognized the familiar tune, vaguely -
the last time I heard this song was in the late 60s early 70s(I hope I got my year right).

Anyway, thanks Matt... really, I'm still so impressed; great voice and great arrangement in what seems like a very short time.
I have already downloaded the mp3  into my computer.

Now, let me go back to page 11 - and continue reading.

Thanks again Matt --- and yes, it would be so cool to try out that voice dubbing / recording for group singing.

ricky

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 27, 2009, 12:36:13 PM
Lynda- I'm left-handed & play a right handed guitar turned around, without changing the strings around. Learned that way in college ('75) & couldn't switch. Imagine the low "e" on the bottom & high "e" on top! I've adapted well to it, figuring out my own chord positions, leads, etc.. Nobody that can play full songs on their git should consider themselves pathetic. I'm sure you're joking.
As far flying, get a couple of Valium from your M.D.. I have anxiety disorder, among other shared problems, & have found they work great. Music on your headphones helps alot also. Hope to meet someday so we can share pathetic playing! :humour:
This includes everyone on the forum also. Seems like a very diversified & cool bunch. I'm glad I took the plunge finally & joined!
Jeff   :guitar

Jeff, so I'm curious to start with (I keep young that way... now that I'm 2 years south of 50)... but with the way you described your git playing, has got me positively curious.

I sure would be so motivated to go to the regional Forum Git-together to meet all our friends here and to hear and watch each other's "pathetic" playing.

Hats off to everyone who plays guitar and have the same admiration of wood and steel as I and many others here do.

ricky

Quote from: GeeNorm on January 27, 2009, 05:49:44 PM
Because when it comes to waiting for a guitar you REALLY want you have the edge on all of us!  :winkin:

I'll repeat that your advice to chill while waiting instead of being consumed by thinking about it is a voice of reason.

Now as to Tuffy's appetizer platter idea I am shopping for basses. What does your husband recommend, Lynda? Or anyone else ... PMs or email please to avoid hijacking this thread.

Norman

Norman,

Good to hear from you.   I'm not into bass guitars.   So, just as I was dead to acoustic guitars until Dec 2006, ignorance is bliss.

While I'm waiting, I usually let my OO-09 teach me to adjust my git playing style to what the git can deliver; if my OO-09 can talk, it would always say,

"remember ricky, I'm not an OM, nor a L, or a dread" --- so moderate strumming please and grow the strumming nails for louder fingerstyle playing.

Also, while I'm waiting, I violated your warning to me to stay away from the FS section here.

Confession time:

If I had my way, I would have already bought the OM-60 SBT,  the OM-05MT is relisted on Craigslist, bought a Jumbo from Winnipeg, the Leo Kottke (sp?) 12-string here

and the Taylor Fall Ltd Coco with Koa binding and my friend's L-03R and the new OM-03R in the local Larry dealer in drEdmonton (sorry, I'm curious about the SD too).

As you can see, I'm a perfectly healthy member of this Forum!

ricky... oh yeah, did I mention that I'm watching the OO slothead 12-fret thread (special order or FG 4) with an eagle eye?

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 25, 2009, 01:00:19 PM
Matt- great lyrics & voice ! I saw Ricky's post about Jim's mods to his forum git. I perused his site, read his history, etc., but couldn't find anything about his forum guitar. Jim's putting a bone nut on my forum guitar. I think thats all the mods I'll need. Could someone tell where it's posted ? :smile: Jagadis- as far as the first discussion: go to the home page & click on "show own posts". If you posted on the first thread, you can just click on your most recent post on the first discussion. Remember, there are alot of pages to look @, so have fun ! LOL !

Jeff, here's Jim Holler's post in "Mods to my Forum III and News on Tuners" thread...  nothing serious, but refreshingly inspiring...

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on January 23, 2009, 04:57:14 PM
I have some long term modifications in mind. Now I am talking Luther's time here. So here is the list:
1) Wear out the frets, I mean some good divits in the first few positions.
2) Dent the top. I know it is going to happen at some point so I will just plan on that happening. and love it whan it does.
3) Wear out the custom hat. I an thinking sweat stains all around the base of the hat.
4) Stickers on the case. I have never done this and it is so cool.
5) Most important. Make it the best sounding one by playing the snot out of it.  :guitar
Jim Holler

I sure looked at my guitars differently after reading Jim Holler's post... I plan to do #5 on my FG III and all my guitars.

In fact, I was visiting a friend in Calgary, stayed there overnight with my wife. I played his el-cheapo dred for more than half-hour (I must be really totally hooked on acoustic guitars) --- I 'm so thankful for this positively therapeutic all-be-it-somewhat-expensive hobby.

ricky

PS - Forum Friends... if we do as Jim shared what he plans to do with his FG III, we may more productively pass the time of waiting for our FG III's delivery.

Jim, if you're reading this, I hope you didn't mind me sharing your post... Jeff (bluesman1) was looking for your post - mods to your FG III.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 27, 2009, 12:36:13 PM
Lynda- I'm left-handed & play a right handed guitar turned around, without changing the strings around. Learned that way in college ('75) & couldn't switch. Imagine the low "e" on the bottom & high "e" on top! I've adapted well to it, figuring out my own chord positions, leads, etc.. Nobody that can play full songs on their git should consider themselves pathetic. I'm sure you're joking.
As far flying, get a couple of Valium from your M.D.. I have anxiety disorder, among other shared problems, & have found they work great. Music on your headphones helps alot also. Hope to meet someday so we can share pathetic playing! :humour:
This includes everyone on the forum also. Seems like a very diversified & cool bunch. I'm glad I took the plunge finally & joined!

Wow Jeff, maybe that is how I should have learned!!!  Im left handed, totally!!! but play right handed. I tried a lefty guitar once and couldnt play it ,couldnt play any guitar then  :smile: so my next opportunity was a  right handed guitar . When I bought one for myself I didnt even consider a left handed guitar... I sort of wonder if I might of had an easier time with one....... probably too late now to even attempt a change.
Sherry

Quote from: lyric_girl on January 27, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
Nope Lynn, I agree with you 100%. Why do you people listen to me anyways!  :roll
:roll
I've got a song, which I hope to record soon, about how people seem to get crazier as they get older instead of getting it together. It has this line in it.

"pretty bad when you think that I'm the sane one, when I KNOW I'm just another clown"
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

feathersprings- the only drag with playing this way, besides the obvious, is I can't fingerpick. I can flatpick things no problem, sounding close to fingerpicking. Close, but no cigar !
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Ahhh....snow blessed snow. Those of you having trouble waiting can keep yourselves occupied today (and tomorrow) with a shovel and some hot chocolate.

Enjoy!
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: flatlander on January 28, 2009, 12:30:47 PM
:roll
I've got a song, which I hope to record soon, about how people seem to get crazier as they get older instead of getting it together. It has this line in it.

"pretty bad when you think that I'm the sane one, when I KNOW I'm just another clown"

Could you write another one addressing the myth of the old person? Because it never seems to ocurr to people that that cranky old woman who cut in line in front of you (and you said nothing because she's old) was probabaly a real b**ch the rest of her life too. As if being old gives you a pass the rest of us don't have in regard to manners and conduct.

I'm not talking slow or a bit scattered, I'm talking wrinkled harpie that just took the spot you waitied ten minutes for.

That's followed by Death Erases All. I've known some pretty lousy human beings who suddenly became really nice people after they passed on.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 28, 2009, 01:46:28 PM
Could you write another one addressing the myth of the old person?
As if being old gives you a pass the rest of us don't have in regard to manners and conduct.

holly
I certainly will not. I'm looking to cash in on that mentality before too long! I've  eeeaaarrnnned it. :laughin:
How come I have the feeling you've already written that line and used it on an old geezer or two?
My problem is, that it seems like everytime I open my mouth in that kinda of situation there ends up being more to the circumstance than I know and I make a fool out of my self. On the other hand, when I keep my mouth shut is when I should have said something.
Just the other night late,late, working. I pulled in a store and there were a couple people in front of me, and when it was my up, a guy comes running right in front of me. I said excuse me for blocking your path to the register. He just looked at me stupidly and went on. Oh well, I do find I'm more patient as I get older.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Exactly, you are a good guy now and you'll be a good guy when your eighty. That young guy will be the same SOB then as he is now but he'll be 'old' so it will be ok. I'm gonna be an old person who tells off other old people. That's my plan because who's gonna rebuke me?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 28, 2009, 03:03:29 PM
Exactly, you are a good guy now and you'll be a good guy when your eighty. That young guy will be the same SOB then as he is now but he'll be 'old' so it will be ok. I'm gonna be an old person who tells off other old people. That's my plan because who's gonna rebuke me?

holly

Holly, I can honestly picture you doing that!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I have an Idea, after listening to Matt's version of the "wait", how about we all right a little song and share it here on the "wait disscussion II" thread?
    I don't know how to record yet but I think I can get some friends to help me and I have some simple original tunes easy to play and put lyrics to. Then we could pick one or more of those and colaborate to make a few songs together.
            Here's a line that just came to me for a starter on a simple tune.
         "Wanderin' thru the Forum III thread I must say I was confused"
           But brother ricky blasted thru with some flashing BREAKING NEWS
            So I ordered one and It felt so good I decided to order TWO
           But now these days I'm wonderin' how....to pay these bills that er comin' due.

I have a nice little tune to this already, and I made the words up while typing so we could do this if ya'll want to. I could call Matt and sing it to him on the phone and give him the chords and he could record it...anyway it's something to think about.
      Danny

Danny,

Sounds like a blast. I can likely provide lyrics, but since I'm still a newb, I have no idea how to write a song. So, if anyone is game to put my lyrics to music, I'm in.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Danny,

I'm in.  Let's hear the tune as soon as Matt does his magic.

ricky