Forum Guitar III, discussion II - The Wait

Started by Randy_R, January 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guys, hate to pee on your parade, but remember, there are a few of us that live in the Great White North! :cheers
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: Dotneck on January 25, 2009, 12:44:52 PM
How about North Carolina?  We could make it central North Carolina....
Even I would come then, even though I'm not gettin the III ! I didn't realize you were from NC.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: lyric_girl on January 25, 2009, 03:26:16 PM
there are a few of us that live in the Great White North! :cheers

we know that!

:beer
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: flatlander on January 25, 2009, 03:33:16 PM
Even I would come then, even though I'm not gettin the III ! I didn't realize you were from NC.

Yup...Raleigh, which is located in the central of the state ...looks like there are a few of us here....we could have a test run of a forum gathering....a little regional thing....see if it is any fun and make all the northerners jealous!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: flatlander on January 25, 2009, 03:33:16 PM
Matt that song is really great. I like the style you put to it. I hope we could preserve that one somehow.

Tuffy, as far as all the forum owners at my place, let's see what was the name you first gave it... "Doghouse Guitar"

Quote from: Dotneck on January 25, 2009, 05:11:04 PM
Yup...Raleigh, which is located in the central of the state ...looks like there are a few of us here....we could have a test run of a forum gathering....a little regional thing....see if it is any fun and make all the northerners jealous!
Oh I know where Raliegh is. I live in Swansboro on the coast. Comin to Durham next month to see Jorma. I'll be there several times this spring for son's soccer games.

Quote from: dependan on January 25, 2009, 05:15:22 PM
   Matt that song is really great. I like the style you put to it. I hope we could preserve that one somehow.
If anyone wants it PM me with e-mail address and I'll send MP3. I'll go ahead and send you one Danny.
You can also click on "full" by song listing on soundclick, and it should give you option to download. I encourage anyone who wants it to do that because I don't plan on leaving up it there long.

Maybe we find a place in the cornbelt (upper), which would be central to almost all. I'll have to research & see what I can suggest. Canada, U.S.; east coast ,west coast. Something in the middle accessable to all.
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 25, 2009, 06:46:27 PM
Maybe we find a place in the cornbelt (upper), which would be central to almost all. I'll have to research & see what I can suggest. Canada, U.S.; east coast ,west coast. Something in the middle accessable to all.
Jeff   :guitar

I vote for Chicago (especially since it's only a 3.5 hour drive for me).  It probably is the "most central location"...truthfully.

Or, we could have the get-together in Winnepeg next January.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: flatlander on January 25, 2009, 05:31:57 AM
Got home at 3:00 am and threw it together. Here it is. first song "the wait"

Nice job, very nice.  Was that you multi-tasking, or with buds?

I still think it would be REALLY fun to try to do a bunch of us, overdubbing each other.

Anyone else interested?

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: flatlander on January 25, 2009, 05:23:11 PM
If anyone wants it PM me with e-mail address and I'll send MP3. I'll go ahead and send you one Danny.
You can also click on "full" by song listing on soundclick, and it should give you option to download. I encourage anyone who wants it to do that because I don't plan on leaving up it there long.
Thanks Matt, I got it. I didn't know about the "full" and then download option. It really has a fresh sound to it and I like the Mando/harp combo with a kazzoo at the finish isn't it?

Chicago would be very kewl for me, but not so much for others.

Penner, Winterpeg... are you crazy. I live in Canada and don't ever want to go there, especially in winter. :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: pennerblue on January 25, 2009, 07:53:54 PM

I still think it would be REALLY fun to try to do a bunch of us, overdubbing each other.

Anyone else interested?
Danny SANG BASS, Penner sang TENOR....zip a dee do da...  yep I'm in.

Quote from: pennerblue on January 25, 2009, 07:53:54 PM

Anyone else interested?
I have my recording stuff out so I just knocked it out cause I knew if I didn't go ahead and do it when I got home last night, I'd never get around to it. No buds up at 3:00 a.m. unfortunately. some of them are much better pickers than me.
The passing of files around that can be overdubbed on sounds like great fun, but I don't know anything about it.

Here's a CRAZY good version of The Weight from "The Last Waltz" (a MUST see movie of the concert to cap off The Band's career)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trhrN39li1M

I love the backing singers and I LOVE Rick Danko's flapping left arm when he's playin' bass and singing.

These guys were awesome.  And, like Larrivee, they're from Canada.

I'm learning to use Audacity software.  Apparently it's easy to record and export as an mp3, but to be able to do overdubs you need to send the entire data file (which I think is HUGE).  If anyone knows how to do this please chime in.

I think this would be a TON of fun and worth it.  Even if we had to mail CDs with the data file burned on them to each other...

I'm also thinking of working up a song in the flatlander spirit of things...if it works, I'll share.  But trust me, I won't sound NEARLY as good as Matt does.

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on January 25, 2009, 09:28:51 PM
These guys were awesome.  And, like Larrivee, they're from Canada.
One of my very favorite bands. A great mixture of rock and roll and folk leanings.
Mostly Canadians, but let's grab our credit for Arkansas boy Levon Helms.

The Last Waltz.
                        One class act.  Even if Robbie didn't know how to play that harp/git just right. I liked it anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: flatlander on January 25, 2009, 09:48:09 PM
One of my very favorite bands. A great mixture of rock and roll and folk leanings.
Mostly Canadians, but let's grab our credit for Arkansas boy Levon Helms.

DOH!  Of course...he was clearly NOT from Canada.
Sorry...

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on January 25, 2009, 09:28:51 PM

I'm learning to use Audacity software.  Apparently it's easy to record and export as an mp3, but to be able to do overdubs you need to send the entire data file (which I think is HUGE).  If anyone knows how to do this please chime in.

I think you could import the existing (old) mp3 file into Audacity, record the new track, then mix and export the new track with the track from the old mp3 file into a new mp3. Then send that new mp3 to the next stop around the world and repeat the process. Just a thought, haven't tried it. The idea is to always end up with an mp3 file which is small enough to attach to an email.

Al

I've seen "the last waltz" so many times! I think I watch it almost every month:)

and yet it is still entertaining!
Jeffrey