Why can't Larrivee offer a OO/12 fret/slothead?

Started by magictwanger, January 16, 2009, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GA-ME and Denis - thanks for your encouragement. I sure hope I can find a good dealer at a competitive price and hope to be able to say, I installed it myself.

Blue - I looked at the K&K seconds. But, I should bid when everybody else is busy so I'm the only one bidding (I guess, next to impossible) - otherwise, the CAD exchange rate makes the whole exercise prohibitive - so I just went with the local Collings / Larrivee / Martin dealer who specializes in K&K installations.

Danny, I'm tempted to bring my OO-09 because I want a K&K in all my Larris.  If we can take home our FG IIIs, I'd want one on that too.

Meanwhile, sorry Mark, your original thread got sidetracked by this whole K&K pickup discussion.

Back to the topic... I sure hope there will be either a limited run or the next FG IV ---    OO 12fret slothead.

Question:   Do the OO-60 and OO-50 have an enlarged soundhole?   I imagine it already has the H-bone purfling and slothead right?

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 09, 2009, 04:30:13 PM

Question:   Do the OO-60 and OO-50 have an enlarged soundhole?   I imagine it already has the H-bone purfling and slothead right?

ricky

I sent an email to Larrivee asking that very question a few months back and was told yes.

Quote from: Denis on March 09, 2009, 04:42:24 PM
I sent an email to Larrivee asking that very question a few months back and was told yes.

That (enlarged soundhole) would look and sound and make this OO whether 50 or 60 --- a very yummy sweet little guitar indeed !!!

Now, if we can only convince Mr. JCL to tweak the bracing inside the guitar - say the scalloped pre-war Martinesque variety - to maximize the top's vibration...

I'd gladly give up the "bling features" to have a tone monster of a small guitar with turbo-charged interior bracing

to give it a voice that screams --- "give me all you've got"  and begs you to "please pick me up and play the snot out of me"  :nana_guitar :nana_guitar  yeah !!!

hmmmm.... I wonder if the small box / body of the OO physically makes it impossible for it to ever have a OM-like fullness or adequacy in the strumming department.

It already is a powerful fingerstyle machine !!!   I know, because my OO-09 is louder than my OM-40 with flesh-picked-fingerstyle playing.

ricky

I like strumming on my 00, especially with a thin pick.  But it's not as rich sounding as an OM.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

No problem hijacking my thread,Ricky. :smile:

I'm too happy with my gits to care.

Quote from: Tycho on March 09, 2009, 06:38:48 PM
I like strumming on my 00, especially with a thin pick.  But it's not as rich sounding as an OM.

You've got a rare piece of OO-50 and sunburst to boot !!!    I strum my OO-09 ever so gently.   I'm sure, it will do just as well plugged in - like my OM, but unplugged, it lacks the depth - due to its smaller size.

Hence, I'm wondering out loud is tweaking the braces for a special production OO would give it a fuller voice (read - slightly deeper).

If this thread eventually gives way to that kind of a slothead OO with enlarged soundhole like the Traditional series (40, 50, 60) - I hope I would have enough to pull out of my pocket - or say bye bye to my Taylor - to get in on a "turbocharged" OO - or OO on steroids.

ricky

I've never heard of Larrivee tweaking the braces of one of their guitars, even a special order.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on March 10, 2009, 04:02:21 PM
I've never heard of Larrivee tweaking the braces of one of their guitars, even a special order.

Just thinking& wondering out loud. There could always be a first, then again JCL may insist on his tried & true original recipe.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 10, 2009, 07:06:14 PM
Just thinking& wondering out loud. There could always be a first, then again JCL may insist on his tried & true original recipe.

ricky
JCL's bracing is a big part of the Larrivee sound.
    But there are some who can shave the braces on any of your gits. There was a member who made a dozen or so posts a while back about this. Jeremy and I responded to him the most and since Jeremy has a mind like a steel trap I bet he can remember where that thread is.
   Danny

I heard it through the grape vine da da da da da da da da

Word is there is going to be an order in for Five, count them 5  custom 00's with some very nice wood combinations and some special add ons.

Start saving your money.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

And was that the highly-figured wood body we saw with the Vancouver visit pictures?   

These will be built in the Oxnard facility.
Roger

QuoteWord is there is going to be an order in for Five, count them 5  custom 00's with some very nice wood combinations and some special add ons.

Hmmmm.... now what was that quote about "rumors of that kind have been greatly exaggerated".  Oh yeah, and what's the date today?   :whistling:

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 09, 2009, 10:33:45 PM
If this thread eventually gives way to that kind of a slothead OO with enlarged soundhole like the Traditional series (40, 50, 60) - I hope I would have enough to pull out of my pocket - or say bye bye to my Taylor - to get in on a "turbocharged" OO - or OO on steroids.
Hi Ricky.  Here's your chance ....   :bgrin:
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

Quote from: gtrplayer on April 01, 2009, 12:36:12 PM
Hmmmm.... now what was that quote about "rumors of that kind have been greatly exaggerated".  Oh yeah, and what's the date today?   :whistling:

No rumors here, just vague info.  I'm sure you'll hear something official soon.
Just trying to let the interested know so they don't blow all their guitar funds and wind up missing out.
Roger