Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't Larrivee offer a OO/12 fret/slothead?  (Read 20217 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

They did make a few OO-50MT...I never tried one but someone here on the forum had one and sold it:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=19497.0

My OO-50 is truly an unbelievable guitar.  Sweetest little fingerstyle machine I've ever owned.  The Forum III will definitely be fun to have around when it gets here too...can't wait!

I had my sights set on a OOO-50 when Dave at Guitar Adoptions put the OO up on his site.  I had even given him a deposit as the OOO were on their way and I wanted to make sure I got one....I'm in no way disappointed with my choice!

magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

Sorry,but I'd want some contrast in the top, with regards to the body wood.A nice spruce(pick your variety...Engelman,Sitka,or bigger buck Adi)would suit me just fine.A HOG body would sure sound great.The Bling "thing" does not have to get too nutty,but definitely some gloss on the finish.Of course,the wood binding would be fabs.

Re: pricing...Sheesh,for what the Parlor is selling for from some dealers these days,just a bit more body size and a slothead should not put "this" git out of the stratosphere,if Larri decides to do "us" a favor....

Even the newest offerings from many other mfgrs,in OO's is "eye-openingly" pricey,IMO!!

I happen to think the Northwood's are stunning little OO's,and at a fairly good price.Yet,I'd stay loyal,in this instance,if Larri came out with a little winner,or better yet a guy like Jim Holler(from reputation,which is superb)was reading this forum.

Best to all.
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »

They did make a few OO-50MT...I never tried one but someone here on the forum had one and sold it:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=19497.0

My OO-50 is truly an unbelievable guitar.  Sweetest little fingerstyle machine I've ever owned.  The Forum III will definitely be fun to have around when it gets here too...can't wait!

I had my sights set on a OOO-50 when Dave at Guitar Adoptions put the OO up on his site.  I had even given him a deposit as the OOO were on their way and I wanted to make sure I got one....I'm in no way disappointed with my choice!

Yep, that was me that sold it.  I had some buyer's remorse, and the purchaser of it very graciously offered to sell it back to me, so it is back with me now.

I bet Larrivee will offer the OO's again.  But since they are happily filling demand for their higher volume models, they can take their time in doing their next run of guitars.  Perhaps the next run of OO's will be for forum IV???

Scott

RS-2
lonnie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »

Can someone can tell me what the different bewteen 00-50 and 000-50, ? recently i bought 000-50 in ebay, it's  quite a good deal, 
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »

Can someone can tell me what the different bewteen 00-50 and 000-50, ? recently i bought 000-50 in ebay, it's  quite a good deal, 

The body size, the 000 is slightly bigger.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »

The body size, the 000 is slightly bigger.

And the nut width is 1 7/8" instead of 1 3/4"

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:51 AM »

And the nut width is 1 7/8" instead of 1 3/4"

Oops, I forgot about the nut width. Pretty substantial difference.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
gary0319

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 12:24:15 AM »

I think the nut width on the 000-50 is actually 1 13/16 (1 7/8 on the SDs) I could be wrong on this however.

Also the 000-50 is a way bigger guitar in almost every respect, including the sound. There are some specs around here someplace..............

Here are the specs (about half way down the page)

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23092.0

Gary

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 12:47:39 AM »

"OO"SLOTHEAD,in HOG/Spruce/rosewood body binding,and fretboard.Small fret markers,and some tasteful purfling....What could be bad?

IT WOULD SELL QUITE WELL,I ASSUME...HINT,HINT
johnny37

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 01:38:50 AM »

Have you seen a nice 000 or 00 or SD?

I have, and they just don't do it for me.  Personal preference I guess.  On the same "personal preference" theme, the older Larrivee's didn't say "Larrivee" on them anywhere except the label.  The headstock shape was the tell for a knowledgeable guitar person.  That's what I still like.  On the Forum 3 I have ordered, the only thing that I would change would be the deletion of the Larrivee name on the headstock.  Its no dealbreaker though, and I can't wait to pick mine up from the plant in Vancouver.  Photos will be up here as soon as it walks in the door.

1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty 
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »

I'm with Ben and Zohn.  Great minds think alike !!!

I thought the FG III was going to be OO as well.  For now we wait until they all arrive.

You guys wanna spec out the FG IV just for fun?  blush

Wouldn't it be funny if one of the dealers jump in on this?

Okay.... I had too much sugar tonight. 

ricky

We'll let magictwanger have FG IV #1 of n gits

I like the way you lads are thinking +1

The slothead is a classic look with the square head stock.

What are ya'll thinking ~ we don't even have the Forum 111 yet, and we're gassing over a possible Forum IV. Isn't there some sort of bail out package for GAS addicts?

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »

I think the nut width on the 000-50 is actually 1 13/16 (1 7/8 on the SDs)

You're right Gary, I stand corrected.

JohnT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »

The forum IV is going to happen someday, and the obvious interest is in a 00.

I'd vote low cost, which probably means making the expensive additions (slothead, gloss, etc) optional. 

It could certainly happen if enough people were interested, the F3 turned into an $80,000 order.

things like 12-fret vs 14-fret and 25.5" vs 24.9" scale are the big deals with regard to sound and playability for people, that might take the longest to hash out.  Forum III is going to hold me back for a while, but I look forward to how this develops, even if it takes a year.... I suspect this crowd will make it happen sooner.

John
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »

I'd hold steady for the glossy finish.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »

Sorry!Gotta go glossy if you want my "oo" order.Love my D-O3R,but the OO needs just a hint of Gloss Bling.

Lets dooo it!
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 03:16:04 AM »

I had a 00-50, and I now have a 00-05. There is more different between the 2 guitars than just the purfling, inlays, and head design. I can't say specifically why, but I prefer the tone of my 00-05, and I can definitely say I prefer the ease of string changing on the flathead, and it was alot cheaper. I also like the gloss finish and bling that the 05 finish offers over the 03 style.

The forum guitar I wanted was everything the 00 style offered in playability, with a larger body to offer a better bottom end and balance. It would have been wonderful to put it together in an 05 package to get the gloss and little bling, but that was not a possibility.

I don't want to spoil any hopes, but if a glossy bling loaded 00 traditional was the thought for the next forum, I'd be afraid that we would be in a much higher price bracket. It may be worth talking to one of the dealers about ordering a few custom 00s, which I am sure could get built in Oxnard, especially if they had some deposits ahead of time. They might be able to offer some special woods, and even some custom details, but they are going to be much more expensive instruments - I'd guess nearly double the price of the Forum 3, maybe more -  and I don't think we'd get 75 orders if they cost twice as much. I'd wonder if we could even get a dozen -

If people want to start thinking about Forum 4, I'd like to suggest we think about something really different, maybe a special SD model, or a custom mini-jumbo, a lower cost baritone, or even a special Parlor - But I hope we are all thinking a while from now, since it's going to take a while to pay off the current Forum 3, and I like the idea of keeping Forum specials as really, really special -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »

It would have been wonderful to put it together in an 05 package to get the gloss and little bling, but that was not a possibility.

I don't want to spoil any hopes, but if a glossy bling loaded 00 traditional was the thought for the next forum, I'd be afraid that we would be in a much higher price bracket.

Sure it was a possibility...its just that the guys who were most vocal earliest wanted a less expensive satin and that's what we ended up with. That's the same thing that happened on the first forum guitar order. Of course, a glossy finished guitar will cost more...that's why the satin finish was developed ...to keep the cost down. But a lot of people want a gloss finish on a Larrivee...as evidenced by the bulk of the larrivee line.

I'm not sure why a gloss finish is seen as "bling loaded". Its not like we're talking about abalone purfling and Wendy's custom headstock inlays. We're justr talking about a hi-gloss finish that shows off Larrivee's quality wood.

(rant off).

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:48 AM »

its just that the guys who were most vocal earliest wanted a less expensive satin and that's what we ended up with.

I'm not sure why a gloss finish is seen as "bling loaded".

Didn't mean to equate glossy with bling-loaded, nor did I mean to imply anyone was suggesting a bling loaded guitar - I believe the factory offered to build the Forum 3 in the BC shop, which limited our option to satin, and that getting it built in CA was not offered or not possible. We can check with Ricky to confirm.

I agreed that I would have enjoyed gloss, but satin was not a deal breaker to me. I also would have prefered a different rosette, but also not a deal breaker to me. I was trying to suggest that a glossy and higher detail 00 might be available as a custom from CA, and that it was worth talking to a couple of dealers to see if they would be willing to put together a price that could be privately distributed, not necessarily as a strictly "Forum" guitar, and that it might be possible to get that process started far more quickly than waiting for a Forum 4 to be organized. I love my 00, and if a good price on an interesting 00 became known to me, I might be very interested -

Just my thoughts -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
jrdavies

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »

If we can get to 10 people who are serious I'll check with some dealers to see if there is any interest getting involved and if 16 is the magic number.  As tadol suggested it may just be a custom run.  Based on this thread this I think we 7 serious and 2 maybe's, does that look correct?

1. Magictranger ???
2. Zohn
3. rpm60912
4. Dotneck ???
5. gary0319
6. prof_stack -????
7. Safricanplayer
8. jrdavies
9. tadol
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 04:28:29 AM »

You can check with ricky if you want...but the decision to go satin was made by forum members...not Larrivee. I was part of that discussion but couldn't sell the idea of a glossy finish...folks wanted satin to keep the cost down. It was basically decided by the guys that posted the most early on in the thread.  The project went to BC 'cause that's where the 03s are made. If we wanted 05's or 09's they would have done it at Oxnard. I've never heard JCL say that a special order couldn't go through Oxnard.

I came in late on the first Forum guitar thread so I didn't participate in that decision...but the goal on that one was to keep the cost under $1000 which precluded gloss.

A small order from a dealer (not necessarily associated with the forum) is a possibility...it seems that 12-15 is the magic number for Larrivee to make it a go. to get a firm price though...you're going to need to have specs finalized so they know what they're bidding on. And selling a dozen or 18 00s will be a tougher sell right now with so many people committed to the LS project.

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: