Why can't Larrivee offer a OO/12 fret/slothead?

Started by magictwanger, January 16, 2009, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of course I realize this is a silly question(economics),but....I WANT ONE!!!Yet,it would "still" be a while before I can fund it,due to recent guitar purchases,and a lousey economy....Drats! :blush:...Ok,I lied...I need to save for my daughter's wedding,next year. :wacko:

I have ruled out a Parlor model,mainly because my two OM's have spoiled me,and I have two nice Dreads(btw,the Dread git is a bit underrated on this forum,IMO....if you have a really good one,you are quickly going to forget about how big it is,and not think about the "comfort thing" :winkin:)

So,I've ben thinking about a nice 12 fret slothead,to finish me off(it better,'cause I don't want to wind up being a collector).....BUT....

SHEESH,these guys are really expensive!!! :angry:

I'm seeing that Larri is quite reasonable in the OOO size slotheads,but want to go OO size.This is a popular choice,that I believe many would like to have,and a slothead 12 fretter is SO vintage/vibe!!I'd think Larri could do a "KILLER" OO/slothead,for reasonable bucks.....I can dream,can't I?

I guess I'm out of luck :wacko:

Best to all :bgrin:

P.S......you can blame Zohn for turning me on to the subject.I was totally happy before he posted some intriguing thoughts,on the subject.Sometimes just  being on-line can lead to GAS.... . :winkin:

I know it's not cheap but doesn't larrivee make 00-50/00-60??

you just gotta wait patiently and watch the used market :)
Jeffrey

Just keep cruising online and you might find one.
I wanted an O and lucky one day when Guitar Adoptions just happen to get one.

The OO is probably the only guitar that I would be tempted, I just have too many as is.
Forum members even get crazy once in a while and sell a guitar.

Good Luck.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

:humour:   Buy the guitar, send your daughter to City Hall!! :roll :nana_guitar :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut

The news from NAMM is that Martin is coming out with a few, and very much sought after, 00/0 models, (12 fretters).  Smaller guitars, 0/00, have seen a resurgence as of late and seem to be gaining in popuarity.  The problem is a Martin can be awfully pricey.  Still over at the UMGF, Martin forum, there seems to be a great deal of interest for them.
  With regards to Larrivee, I've been blowing the 00 horn for quite a while hoping they will rethink the discontinued status of the traditional 00 series.  The thought of Larrivee offering them in different woods combinations and with other options would be, I believe, a great addition to their line.   I know sales is the determining factor when deciding product however judging by the Forum III interest generated here recently it looks like there may be unfulfilled demand out there.

I think JCL is a good businessman as well as a great guitar builder.
By not making a model all the time he creates a little demand and makes the guitar something special.
I would not be surprised to see him drop the OOO and bring back the OO for awhile.
Remember the Oxnard facility is still a small production shop and I am guessing limiting models improves quality and efficiency.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: PortHueneme on January 16, 2009, 06:23:09 PM
I think JCL is a good businessman as well as a great guitar builder.
By not making a model all the time he creates a little demand and makes the guitar something special.
I would not be surprised to see him drop the OOO and bring back the OO for awhile.
Remember the Oxnard facility is still a small production shop and I am guessing limiting models improves quality and efficiency.
I would be surprised to see the 000 dropped myself.

Why can't Larrivee offer a OO/12 fret/slothead?

I did ask JCL this very question on the Radio call in "musicrowshow" when they did a Larrivee give a way and JCL was in Nashville. I told him that some of us on the Forum would like to see a 00 12 fret, slot heat and I may have said LS also and short scale. Anyway his response was that they were just too busy with the new lines that had come out in 2008 and trying to fill all the orders they already had. And that no small git like this was in the planning.
         Well, we planned one and now 78 are being built. It is not a slot or 00 but it is a small LS and a 12 fret. I was for the slot and the 00 size at first when we began planning the F-III but switched to the LS when it was getting more people on board.
                    I think my 00 would be the guitar I would keep if I could only have one, it's not a slot, but it is a flame maple 09 so it's got some cool looks anyway. Of course when the F-III Hog/IS hb get's here I'll probably say the same about it.
                    Forum four, if it was a 00 slot head 12 fret would be hard for me to miss, I do believe I would sell some gits to get that one. RW/IS 12 fret slot head. Sounds nice to me.
                                                Danny

I'm not seeing the appeal of a slot head steel string.  I've got a Fender classical (nylon string, of course) already, and one slot head to me is one more than enough. It can't have anything to do with the tone, can it?  And any Larrivee without the trademark curve at the top of the peghead just isn't a Larrivee to me.  A square headstock looks just like any other Martin or Yamaha out there.  My $.02 (Canadian dollars)  :cheers
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: johnny37 on January 16, 2009, 08:48:06 PM
I'm not seeing the appeal of a slot head steel string.  I've got a Fender classical (nylon string, of course) already, and one slot head to me is one more than enough. It can't have anything to do with the tone, can it?  And any Larrivee without the trademark curve at the top of the peghead just isn't a Larrivee to me.  A square headstock looks just like any other Martin or Yamaha out there.  My $.02 (Canadian dollars)  :cheers
Have you seen a nice 000 or 00 or SD?

You are describing a 00-50 or 00-60. When you are ready to buy one, let the word out and it should eventually show up for you.

If you just want a great player, and can skip the slothead, the 00-05s and -09s are really nice instruments, and generally a little cheaper -

Hopefully they will offer it again, or it would be a good choice to suggest for the next Forum build, maybe in a year or 3 -

The other thing we seem to have learned, is that if you also have 15 friends who are committed to buy one, you could order it yourself.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Ok. I'll bite.  I'd be in for one. 

I've read a few comments that a some people passed on the Forum III but would have signed up for a 00 12 fretter.  I think the consensus was similar to the Forum III in finish and appointments with the forward shifted braces of the classic OO series.   

If there 14 others who are interested it wouldn't hurt to ask. Any takers?

Quote from: BenF on January 16, 2009, 04:27:28 PM
Forum IV?????
:+1: that's what I've been talking about!!!!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Let's DO IT!!!.....

I'll tell the caterer to my daughter's wedding to cut back on the number of "hot plates",and the 600 bucks,for valet parking can "go" too!...That should put me in contention,no?     :ohmy:

Quote from: BenF on January 16, 2009, 04:27:28 PM
Forum IV?????

I'm with Ben and Zohn.  Great minds think alike !!!

I thought the FG III was going to be OO as well.  For now we wait until they all arrive.

You guys wanna spec out the FG IV just for fun?  :blush:

Wouldn't it be funny if one of the dealers jump in on this?

Okay.... I had too much sugar tonight.  :humour:

ricky

We'll let magictwanger have FG IV #1 of n gits

BTW... I'm not trying to rub it in.

But, I played my OO tonight leading group singing unplugged for 20+ people.

(I was pleased with the way the OO sang, emphatic and articulate on crescendos, and my ears are missing but no longer expecting the "thump" that's not the forte of parlors).  I have Cube to thank for this new inspiration to allow my OO git to teach me how to learn to play a little different style from my usual.

Did the same last Friday (I was horrible last week; not sure of the songs; so the OO hesitated also)

I also had a chance to compare my Ami and OO one right after the other for the very first time.

My OO (reg scale 12 fret) is loud and full compared to the Ami (short scale 12 fret).

Okay yeah.... OO 12 fret slot head... what flavor?  I'd like mine in ALL HOG please?  (I'll do Tuffy proud !!!)
(even though I'm not a big fan of slotheads [yet!!!] since I'm a novice and have not developed a taste for classic features)

Can we have this low bling as well... but in glossy finish?   Man, if sunburst was an option, I'd get sunburst too.

Anybody else wanna daydream? it's free.

ricky

If this ever becomes FG IV, it will be more fun waiting for my FG III here.  :+1:

If a glossy 00 was developed I'd sell my build spot for the LS and jump ships.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I had a 00-50 12 fretter that I got from Tadol last year, I sold it when another little "Taylor Gal" caught my eye. Then I passed on the Forum III (not a big fan of the LS).

BUT,.............this talk of a gloss, 00-50 all hog,  12 fret, slothead has got my attention.   :drool: It would make a great matchup for my Forum I, 12 fret, MT.

Now how many more do we need??

Gary
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

Quote from: gary0319 on January 17, 2009, 12:03:41 PM
I had a 00-50 12 fretter that I got from Tadol last year, I sold it when another little "Taylor Gal" caught my eye. Then I passed on the Forum III (not a big fan of the LS).
BUT,.............this talk of a gloss, 00-50 all hog,  12 fret, slothead has got my attention.   :drool: It would make a great matchup for my Forum I, 12 fret, MT.  Now how many more do we need??
Gary
Cha-ching!  Gloss + 50-series + 12-fret + slothead (which I like, btw) would add up to considerably more than the F-III.  You'd be lucky to keep it under $2k.  But it does sound interesting.
Play it daily for best results.

Hey Prof.......

I think are right. Most likely it would be in the $2K+ range (maybe more li$t). I would assume the most recent pricing for a 000-50 would be about comparable. I believe that when the the 00-50 was still in the lineup, it was priced about equal with the 000-50.

Still fun to dream...........

Gary
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE