Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFB turns 75 and gives us a gift!  (Read 713 times)
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

I am sure that all of the Canadians on this Forum are aware of the NFB (National Film Board). They just had their 75th anniversary and are celebrating by opening the vault of their classic, and timeless films, shorts and animation for us to enjoy.

I'll link you to one of my favourites, The Log Driver's Waltz. This is a blend of real film footage and animation (with musical backup from Kate and Anna!!!!!) that helps show what a real treasure the NFB has been.

Enjoy http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz/

Denis, and Duck search for "The Sweater" to recall the "good ol' days" of a once (still?) proud hockey dynasty.

Ron

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »

I couldn't get the film to play but I absolutely love, lerve et j'aime beaucoup The Log Driver's Waltz! Best video ever! I'm very familiar with The Sweater, as well. Thanks Ron.
Btw, In their 100th year, the Montreal Canadiens are vying for their record 25th Stanley cup. One out of every four championships during their existence. You either love them or hate them. Go Habs!   
JavaVern

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »

Merci beaucoup.

I sing the song also, it is a great presentation by the McGarrigals.

Also in the archives is the Black Fly Song, also by Wade Hemsworth with Kate and Anna doing background vocals. I sing it much faster, works either way.

and The Sweater is at
http://www.nfb.ca/film/sweater

Vern

Old Folkie
1974 Guild D25 (Fishman Matrix PU)
2005 Larrivee L-03 (from bleumax) with K&K Pure Mini PU
Also dabble in fiddle, clawhammer banjo, cavequeno
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »

and The Cat Came Back

My little ones love that!

The NFB and CBC...what all Canadians grow up on!

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »

...and somehow have managed to survive, despite severe budget cut backs and lack of support from you know who...

Ron

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »

Well Ron, if they stuck to great stuff like hockey and those you've mentioned there'd never be a problem. Some, however, feel that there is always a danger of a public broadcasting system becoming the organ of truth for the governing party, whichever governing party that may be. There never seems to be enough oversight regarding systemic bias. The party that is out of favour, if ever they attain power are tempted to do one of two things. Destroy it or usurp it. Das Pravda. And so it goes.     
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »

Point taken, and that is all I have to say about that. 

Ron

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »

Point taken, and that is all I have to say about that. 

I love the good stuff though! Support the arts! Go see them! 
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »

Btw, In their 100th year, the Montreal Canadiens are vying for their record 25th Stanley cup. One out of every four championships during their existence. You either love them or hate them. Go Habs!   

Yes, and possibly more impressive when you realise that they have not sipped from the Cup in 15 years.  And yes, I was in the old Forum when it happened. 

But who's counting???

jimmy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: