Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tommy Emmanuel  (Read 9556 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »

'Oi Zohn, this will blow you away, Tommy's brother Phil (who is much, much more a better guitarist than Tommy ) was married to my ex-sister inlaw Maggie (Margaret), who was married to my bro. And Phil, played as a backup with my ex. who sings in the 'Meatloaf' cover band, in a special, about 10,11 years ago. 'Confused?' O.K. I'm still in touch with 'Maggie', I'll see if she's still in touch with Phil, so I'll see if an 'Autograph' is on hand for you. 'HOWZAT?' No 'bulls**t'. Now, can you give us your home address? I will post you something.
Cheers
Fongie
:+1:You're the one mate!!!! - "HOWZAT!", mmmhh a long time favourite by another Ausie-band nl. Sherbet. Brings back nice memories. I'll send my details over the mail....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »

I think of Tommy as kind of the Steve Vai of the acoustic world.  As most of you know, in the electric world, this very same debate goes on about the shredders (Vai, Satriani and their many imitators) vs. the "feel" players.  When it comes to rock, I have little use for shred and prefer more traditional players.  But when I saw Vai's set on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, I realized that in addition to speed and technical ability, he had musicality to spare and also a great sense of musical humour.  I probably wouldn't go see Steve Vai in concert just because I don't think I could stand two hours of shred, but I appreciate those qualities, and I think Tommy has the same ones.

Based on the 4 youtube videos I've seen of TE I don't understand the particular criticism in this thread at all, and I don't see this comparison to Vai and the like.... Would someone link me to an example of hollow sheddery or hammy showmanship? Except for the boogie piece posted, the others I've seen were tasteful rather mild lyrical compositions played straight. I can think of other players who's styles are weighted too much toward flash technique. If anything TE comes across as a bit Trad (and very very fine in this way).

L-03 Italian Spruce
Yeti

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Go to
http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp

you can scroll down to a couple shows with an hour of Tommy E.

I find his music inspiring even if it's beyond my ability.
He is definately on my to meet or, if I'm lucky, attend one of his work shops list.
Mike
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 06:55:35 PM »

I find it a bit much to draw inferences about his personal issues from his playing style.  Would we say the same thing about Lenny Breau?  Jimi Hendrix? Any number of other great guitarists with addiction issues that we could name?

I think we draw inferences from how and what people play all the time. Isn't music and art about telling our stories and expressing ourselves, even what's out of our awareness. We listen or watch and try to figure out where they're coming from. Do you think we can hide it all? If we could the music wouldn't be worth listening to. My comment about TE was not in any way intended to mock his problems but to express disatisfaction at how he seemed to be handling them.

Shall we now call you Dr. Bearsville?  I can just see the ads now in Guitar Player magazine:  Got a problem?  Life sucks?  Play guitar too well to hide your personal demons?  Just contact Dr. Bearsville!  From his comfy computer chair he can diagnose all your mental and emotional abnormalities.  He'll even do it for free!  That's the kind of benevolent humanitarian Dr. Bearsville is. 

That's Dr. Bearsville0 to you creature.   bigrin

If it sounds good, it is good.

gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »

If we are going to dig into personal issues. Why not talk about him as a person. Everyone that actually knows him that I have heard talk about him. Talk as if he is one of the nicest most caring warm people they know. This would include Chet Atkins and several others. When I went to his show in   Indianapolis he told a story about one of his guitars and how he got it from a man he went to visit that he heard wanted to come to his show but was basically  on his death bed and couldn't come. So Tommy went to his house to play for him,  and spend some time with him. The man gave a very nice vintage Gibson. Tommy said he went to be  a blessing to someone and ended up being the one that was blessed. He seamed to be a very real and sincere person. As for as his constant bouncing and foot tapping. He's a real avid about keeping the timing and feel of a song that's how he does it. One thing that has amazed me about his playing is how he can go into a long single note solo run and you can still feel the rhythm of the song. And you need to listen to more then just the YouTube stuff to get a feel for him. A lot of people on this sight would probable like his live versions of Nine Pound Hammer and Working Man Blues on the center stage CD or DVD. It a great show and a big variety of music.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2009, 06:44:02 AM »

I've got more than I asked for, thank you all for your insight. I guess there are more gifted guitar-playing angels on this forum than I ever imagined.  My conclusion: I think the man is a genius guitar player with charisma, and an ordinary human being. I would take lessons from him anytime, and I'm going to look out for that DVD, thanks Gluve1....

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »

I think we draw inferences from how and what people play all the time. Isn't music and art about telling our stories and expressing ourselves, even what's out of our awareness. We listen or watch and try to figure out where they're coming from. Do you think we can hide it all? If we could the music wouldn't be worth listening to. My comment about TE was not in any way intended to mock his problems but to express disatisfaction at how he seemed to be handling them.

Circus Clown and Unhinged was your discription.

L-03 Italian Spruce
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 02:51:51 AM »

Circus Clown and Unhinged was your discription.

They were two different opinions, one of his performance and one of his state of mind. Okay, so I was mocking his performance. I think Tycho's comparison with those electric shredders was apt. If I had thought to categorize TE among the acoustic shredders I would not have needed to comment here in quite the offensive way it might have been for some. But I also think of electric shredders as circus clowns.

Sorry about any confusion there.

If it sounds good, it is good.

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:50 AM »

I noticed that TE will be one of the instructors this year at Jorma Kauwkonen's Fur Peace Ranch.  Has he done this before?  Has anyone gone to FPR?

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »

But I also think of electric shredders as circus clowns.

I am glad someone else thinks this too.  I read so much about the wonders of this genre that I bought a CD to listen to.  After it i felt like sticking my head through the window without opening it.  Pointless waste of energy.

I just don't get it.

I do like Tommy Emmanuel though, but I suspect his live shows may be different to his recorded music.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »

His live shows a great, and a must see for any solo acoustic guitar fan. If you can't go definitely get the Center Stage DVD. He does a big enough variety of stuff to make everyone happy. Sit down watch all of it then let me know what you think of him.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 06:40:47 PM »

I noticed that TE will be one of the instructors this year at Jorma Kauwkonen's Fur Peace Ranch.  Has he done this before?  Has anyone gone to FPR?

DAVE

He frequently used to do workshops on the same day as his shows.  He may have scaled back on that lately.  I know he didn't have a workshop the last time he was in Toronto.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

DAVE
Hey DAVE, yes Tommy's done FPR before... last year, once or twice. 

I was at FPR once, in 2005, to study with a great performer named Toby Walker (blues, ragtime picking, great to look up if you're in the northeast).  Fur Peace is definitely a lot of fun, the full immersion with classes all morning & afternoon and playing/jamming all night.  I was a little overwhelmed, relatively new to the guitar at the time.  I also found it a little too brief in some ways, basically running Friday through Sunday.

There are quite a few great workshops in the same league as FPR.  I can only compare to the Swannanoa gathering and Guitar Intensives, which are both week-long sessions (Sunday eve-Saturday morning).  Somehow both of those felt better to me since the extra days make it a lot easier to get something real out of the classes, and "living" around the instructors and fellow participants for that length of time really sparked some great playing and conversations.  Costs for instruction & room/board range from about $750 for Swannanoa to ~$1200 for FPR and Guitar Intensives. 

I'll probably go back to Guitar Intensives this August.  If you want some amusement check out their homepage (www.guitarintensives.com) and reload until the sidebar picture is a closeup of a guy performing in front of a mike... on ukulele.  That was me two years ago at their open mic, having some fun with a tune that one of the instructors taught (Goofus, as arranged by Del Rey).  Fun!

Dave

alan68uk

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 08:53:22 PM »

I just love Tommy, to me his music has it all from soft gentle melodies to rip roaring rock n roll. His live shows are an inspiration and on the one occasion  i did meet him (after a show) he seemed like a real nice guy.
Also the guy earns a living playing solo acoustic guitar . Not many can say that, think about it two hours on stage just you and an acoustic guitar 250 - 300 gigs a year . Now that is not easy.

Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »

Hey DAVE, yes Tommy's done FPR before... last year, once or twice. 
I'll probably go back to Guitar Intensives this August.  If you want some amusement check out their homepage (www.guitarintensives.com) and reload until the sidebar picture is a closeup of a guy performing in front of a mike... on ukulele.  That was me two years ago at their open mic, having some fun with a tune that one of the instructors taught (Goofus, as arranged by Del Rey). 
Dave, I see that Mike Dowling will be an instructor there this year. Mike runs his own music camp out in Wyoming. He is an amazing talent. Has recorded many solo albums, plus a duet CD with Pat Donohue called Two of a Kind. "Stunning"
Stratokatsu

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »

Tycho's comparison to TE being the Steve Vai of the acoustic world is one that rings very true for me. I don't know if TE's skills are deteriorating because I listen to him on cd and I've only seen him once, The Sheldon Theater in St. Louis a couple years ago. I flew there from Miami and stayed with friends who are Rock & Roll'ers, but on my say so, they got the tickets and went with me. Needless to say, they were blown away, as was I.

As for him playing in a manner that is so busy, in his case, I still hear a melody to what he does. I admire Doyle Dykes playing too, but sometimes it's hard to perceive a simple melody within thousands of notes being played in such short order.

Now, if you like to hear something beautiful and simple, check out Pat Kirtley. His younger brother was a fraternity brother of mine in college and I've been to the Kirtley home. The funny thing was, I don't recall anything particularly musical about the place, no guitars laying around or anything like that. Pat later became the National Fingerstyle Champion.

Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »

Stratokatsu--

Thanks for suggesting Pat Kirtley.  I'll check him out.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »

Dave, I see that Mike Dowling will be an instructor there [Guitar Intensives] this year. Mike runs his own music camp out in Wyoming. He is an amazing talent. Has recorded many solo albums, plus a duet CD with Pat Donohue called Two of a Kind. "Stunning"
Thanks QQ - I don't know much about Mike Dowling -- yet

Dave

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: