I'm not so sure BRAZ is "so" rare!!!

Started by magictwanger, January 12, 2009, 11:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don't get me wrong.....I love the sound of a lovely Braz guitar,but in all honesty(owning two....well one is about three weeks away)as I search the web,and guitar stores,there is a load of the stuff floating around!

More expensive?Yes!....Not really better than a nice EIR model?I'm not so sure about that!....BUT....

Though I do hear about the stumpwoods etc(somewhat questionable if the mfgr is responsible,and honest)I do believe there is going to be viable stuff around,alot longer than we are led to think.

Sorry.Just thinking out loud :mad:

Quote from: magictwanger on January 12, 2009, 11:33:40 PM
Don't get me wrong.....I love the sound of a lovely Braz guitar,but in all honesty(owning two....well one is about three weeks away)as I search the web,and guitar stores,there is a load of the stuff floating around!

More expensive?Yes!....Not really better than a nice EIR model?I'm not so sure about that!....BUT....

Though I do hear about the stumpwoods etc(somewhat questionable if the mfgr is responsible,and honest)I do believe there is going to be viable stuff around,alot longer than we are led to think.

Sorry.Just thinking out loud :mad:
:+1: I echo that thought Mark. They seem to be available more readily than ever before. Even in South Africa, it is commercially available (obviously at a price) - Marc Maingard uses it all the time, and although he makes amazing guitars, I think the prices are totally inflated and commercialized. (almost reminiscent of the oil-business)
Total madness if you ask me.... I can see the same thing happening with Mahogany in the not-too-distant future. We are subtly being "prepared" by some builders charging the same prices (some even more) as Indian Rosewood. Brazillian is still awesome though... :winkin:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: magictwanger on January 12, 2009, 11:33:40 PM

But it's hard to find the more preferable quarter sawn stuff we want for a guitar.

It's a good time for builders that have been sitting on a stash of Braz to get some of it to market. I believe the very best will still be kept in reserve, and used for special editions or commissions.
Ron

I recently purchased a slab of 'BZ', but I've often wondered, how can you tell the difference between 'BZ' and 'IR', if you put them side by side. I'm not really a wood freak, I do know the diff', between a hardwood and a pine, but wouldn't have a clue when it comes to grading or differential. If I took a earlier model Lav. (built with 'BZ') apart and used 'IR' to rebuild, and sold it as a "BZ' Lav. guitar, can you honestly tell me, would you know the difference? I know I wouldn't, and I bet alot of amateurs wouldn't either. We are so naive, we tend to believe what others instil in our heads. Sure we might have 'BZ' floating around still, but are they 'BZ's'?
Cheers
fongie

If in doubt try and sneak one past a border crossing inspector :humour:
Ron