Larrivees and Taylors

Started by HNS, January 11, 2009, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 19, 2009, 10:47:26 PM
When I said best bang for the buck, I wasn't minimizing the fact that @ any price, Larrivees are fantastic guitars. You can interpret phrases many ways, just like using the word "virtually" to describe something. My L-10 is one of the top 3 guitars I've ever played; most who have played it said the same thing. My Flammang OM spruce/mahogany was one of the better ones. The top was made from some of that 100+ year old logs that were found floating around in Canada back in the early '90s. I paid $1800 for that one when David was just starting out (early to mid '90s). Now, you can't touch one of his new guitars for under $5000 ! My L-10 has been commented on so many times as souding like "one of the best gits they ever heard or played". Taylors are fine instruments also, but I agree that you have to play alot of them until you find that right one (unless you're a well known artist that Taylor wants on board). I find Larrivees more consistent & better balanced than most Taylors. I won't get into what guitars I've owned in the past, but it's been over 12 in the last 16 years (GAS). When my Forum III IS/HOG comes in, I think I'll be all set for life !  :smile:
Jeff   :guitar

You make an interesting point. I'm thinking of all the times that phrase has been used AFTER I tell someone how much it cost. So I'd imagine it could go either way. Or the idea that if something costs more it must be worth more.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

This video has me reconsidering the Taylor image... although it would be cooler if they were playing taped-up Gibsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWlIwPu-ak

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Most Taylors I pick up seem to lack a soul. Something about them seems really lifeless. However, I have played several 12 string Taylors that where astounding. Weird...
Larrivee OM-03BW
Martin D-41 Special
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Flying V
Fender Jimmie Vaughan strat
Recording King RK-80 Banjo
Mid seventies Marshall amps
Peavey 5150

Quote from: jessz1 on January 21, 2009, 10:26:33 PM
Most Taylors I pick up seem to lack a soul. Something about them seems really lifeless. However, I have played several 12 string Taylors that where astounding. Weird...

I've heard that about the Taylor 12 strings being good. Never played one myself.
L-03 Italian Spruce

The best 12 string acoustic  I ever played was a Taylor. When I bought my 1st Larrivee. I played every guitar at every music store in St. Louis under $2000. I didn't like any of them enough to buy. The guy at the store said to try a D03R. I had never heard of Larrivee. After 30 seconds, I asked how much, figuring it would be more than I could afford. When he told me under $900 with case( obviously several years ago!), I bought it on the spot. It is the best sounding guitar I have owned, and has made it onto several local recordings, it has never let me down. There was nothing wrong with any of the higher end guitars I played, they just didn't speak to me. I knew I would buy that D03R 10 seconds after I played it!   jp
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

Quote from: jimmyp on January 22, 2009, 09:13:22 AM
The best 12 string acoustic  I ever played was a Taylor. When I bought my 1st Larrivee. I played every guitar at every music store in St. Louis under $2000. I didn't like any of them enough to buy. The guy at the store said to try a D03R. I had never heard of Larrivee. After 30 seconds, I asked how much, figuring it would be more than I could afford. When he told me under $900 with case( obviously several years ago!), I bought it on the spot. It is the best sounding guitar I have owned, and has made it onto several local recordings, it has never let me down. There was nothing wrong with any of the higher end guitars I played, they just didn't speak to me. I knew I would buy that D03R 10 seconds after I played it!   jp

The Larrivees always seem up front and ready to go, like a puppy pulling on the leash. They make a good first impression that way. A lot of guitars are sleepy and reluctant when I try them in the shops. 
L-03 Italian Spruce

Most Taylors I pick up seem to lack a soul. Something about them seems really lifeless.

Perhaps the soul and lifelessness of the player may have had something to do with that . . .  :whistling:
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on January 22, 2009, 12:39:25 PM
Most Taylors I pick up seem to lack a soul. Something about them seems really lifeless.

Perhaps the soul and lifelessness of the player may have had something to do with that . . .  :whistling:

Can you change your signature to this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

I like the sound of the Taylors I have played.  But what I can't stand is the open-pore feeling on the neck of their cheaper axes (which are those that I can afford).

There was a Jars of Clay signature model offered a few years ago that I liked the sound of, but the neck felt like it was made from oak that was left unfilled.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Holly- I sold my OM-03 to Jim, which I see is off his site, to make a payment for the forum III git (he must have sold it). My wife, who wears the pants in the house (as usual for all you unmarried guys!), told me outright that I had to maintain my current size of my collection. I had 8, now 7, but will be back up to 8 in the near future. That back door is always open, but I'll have to sell something to get something. I'm 51, so my GAS days are slowing down, just like me. Let me rephrase myself: when my forum git comes in, I'll be set. That leaves a little window open for the future !   :thumb
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

QuoteMy wife, who wears the pants in the house (as usual for all you unmarried guys!), told me outright that I had to maintain my current size of my collection. I had 8, now 7, but will be back up to 8 in the near future

Where did you go wrong? get your pants back.  :humour:
I'm really blessed, I have 12 guitars and my wife gets mad at me whenever I sell a guitar, she wants me to collect them.

QuoteI'm 51, so my GAS days are slowing down

I'm 56 and I'm just getting started! The kids have all left home and now we get to spend on our toys...I like it!

Quotewhen my forum git comes in, I'll be set.

NOT! There is no cure for G.A.S.  And I'm glad.

Now, about that GA4 or Larrivee L-09  that I've been thinking about...
Ruben

I want to add something that has not been mentioned to this point.
I think that Taylor got the jump on the other guitar companies in the area of offering a great pickup with any of the models.
I still think the Fishman Blender is the best all around useful pickup available. I am not a fan of the expression system.
So when you see your favorite star playing live, they are using the guitar that works the best on the stage.
Once you get into the area of amplifying your acoustic guitar and playing with a band, you have to have a sound that works.

rrgguitarman- you ARE blessed ! My wife can have the things she enjoys (diamonds,purses,etc.), but when it comes to my GAS, another story. Her favorite line is :"how are you going to play all of those?". I ask how she's going to carry all of those Coach purses. She's 4'10", the purses are up high in the closet, so I'm the one that gets them down (I'm 6'6"). Now I have a thought of how to deal with her! Since I have baseboard heat, I'm constantly wetting my Dampits & monitoring my hygrometers. Keeps me busy! I'm waiting for my Forum git patiently; my wife says if she hears the word guitar anymore, she'll scream!  :wacko:

As far as the Larrivee vs. Taylor thing, the bottom line is what sounds good to your ears. I find Taylors a little too bright for me. As I said before, you have to play alot of Taylors to get that "right" one. Larrivees, on the other hand, I find more balanced & consistent in their sound. I've been playing them for years & love them. I played a D-03 Ovangal Limited (100) & boy was that nice. Stepped up to my OM-05 instead, which is fantastic. I've had an OM-03SP, L-05, & a great J-09. Got GAS & went for other gits. Really regret it on the J-09 & L-05. Both were early to mid '90 models, so by now they would have sounded real sweet.  :bgrin:
Taylors are great guitars, but like I said, I think it just depends on the person & the sound you're looking for.

I agree. It's just depends how you like guitars to sound. I've heard some fingerpicked recorded Taylors that sound incredible, but I've never played one that grabbed me at all. I just don't like the sound of Taylor guitars. It's pretty simple, so I will never own a Taylor guitar. There are too many other six and 12-string guitars out there that I DO like, for me to worry about Taylors. 
Larrivee D50 w/Fishman Matrix
Guild D 50 w/D-Tar Wavelength
Gibson J 50 (1967)
Recording King RD-06-12
Silver Creek T 160
Epiphone Firebird (2009)
Vox Phantom XII electric 12-string (1968)
Fender Squier bass (1998)

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 27, 2009, 11:06:01 AM
rrgguitarman- you ARE blessed ! My wife can have the things she enjoys (diamonds,purses,etc.), but when it comes to my GAS, another story. Her favorite line is :"how are you going to play all of those?". I ask how she's going to carry all of those Coach purses. She's 4'10", the purses are up high in the closet, so I'm the one that gets them down (I'm 6'6"). Now I have a thought of how to deal with her! Since I have baseboard heat, I'm constantly wetting my Dampits & monitoring my hygrometers. Keeps me busy! I'm waiting for my Forum git patiently; my wife says if she hears the word guitar anymore, she'll scream!  :wacko:

Hey Bluesman1, I should add that my wife plays the piano, guitar, bongos (and all kinds of other little goodies we have around the house) and loves to sing with me whenever we get the time. I do have an advantage with my wife liking music as much as I do.

QuoteAs far as the Larrivee vs. Taylor thing, the bottom line is what sounds good to your ears

That really is the bottom line.
I don't own a Martin but, it is only because I've yet to find a Martin that I enjoy the sound of, not because I don't like Martins.
One of these days a Martin is bound to make it home with me.
Ruben

rrgguitarman- like I said, you are lucky. My wife is stuck on old R&B & disco. Nothing wrong if that's what she likes. I'm more diverse; country to jazz fusion. I 'm into the instruments besides the music also. She's into music, just not my type. Sounds like a fun time around your house when it's music time ! :nanadance
Have Fun !

Taylors are fine guitars.  Thats why so many people own them.  They do seem to market their guitars well, but all the marketing in the world can't make a nice guitar from a lousy one (Estaban?) Whether or not you like them is a matter of taste.   :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut :coffee

Quote from: balgit on January 28, 2009, 02:25:33 PM
Taylors are fine guitars.  Thats why so many people own them.  They do seem to market their guitars well, but all the marketing in the world can't make a nice guitar from a lousy one (Estaban?)

I read on the Taylor forum that Estaban at one point sold in three days as much as Taylor sells in one month. They sell a ton of those 'guitars' for sure. Many people own Estabans, they're not fine guitars. I wouldn't argue that Taylor's success in sales is evidence of high quality, just like I wouldn't with Brittney Spears or McDonald's fast food.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 28, 2009, 03:35:28 PM
I read on the Taylor forum that Estaban at one point sold in three days as much as Taylor sells in one month. They sell a ton of those 'guitars' for sure. Many people own Estabans, they're not fine guitars. I wouldn't argue that Taylor's success in sales is evidence of high quality, just like I wouldn't with Brittney Spears or McDonald's fast food.
You left out the last line of my post ,the one that says its a matter of taste.  I guess you don't like Mcdonald's ,Britney Spears, and Taylor Guitars which is fine, but each of the three does appeal to some, and therefore its a matter of taste. (theres only one t in Britney) Have a donut :donut