Larrivees and Taylors

Started by HNS, January 11, 2009, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think Taylors are very easy to play and I'm sure that appeals to a lot of people, me included.  Generally speaking I like the typical Larrivee sound over the Taylor sound.  But on any given day, who knows.

Quote from: guitom on January 12, 2009, 03:35:15 PM
I think Taylors are very easy to play and I'm sure that appeals to a lot of people, me included.   

Not me, they feel too much like an electric guitar.

In my opinion, both Taylor and Larrivee guitars are pretty consistent with regards to build and tonal characteristics. They do however each have a different signature sound, with fans on both sides of the aisle. IMHO, I think the Larrivee's are a better value, particulary if you compare the 3 series from both manufacturers.

Taylor produces a lot more guitars than Larrivee due to a highy automated production facility, and has deeper pockets, so it's not surprising to see more Taylor around.

~ Ray ~     :donut :donut :coffee
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

That's right. More marketing power does not create a superior guitar. It just means that Taylor is exposed to more people than Larrivee. As you can see, I own both, and I love both for the unique offerings they each bring to the table in production guitars.
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

My son plays Taylor.  My only problem with them is the neck.  When Taylor sawed off the neck of (dovetail) guitar he was working on(at 18).  The Taylor brand was born.  I will never get past the bolt-on neck.  I saw Larrivee talking about his guitars and he said he would never change the neck.  He believed that was too important in making a quality guitar.
Ray L Teel

LS-03R #4 forum III
Martin D-35
Martin D-28 Marquis

I thought it was just me. I can't get past a bolt on neck either.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

None of my favorite players use Taylor, as well. 

Shane & Shane - Breedlove (sponsored)
Bebo Norman - Everett and Larrivee
Chris Tomlin - Collings

In my world of music, Taylor is crap.
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element
Avalon U5
2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

I can't get past the bolt on neck when you're paying $3,000+. On my 110... well that's ok... but on anything else really...NOT!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on January 12, 2009, 08:46:11 PM
I can't get past the bolt on neck when you're paying $3,000+. On my 110... well that's ok... but on anything else really...NOT!
I agree ... bolt on necks are cheaper to reset though .....
cheers
Hisham
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

"can't get past the bolt on neck"

WHY???

I got past the bolt on neck when I played some Bourgeois' and Huss & Dalton's.

I don't see how a shimmed up dovetail filled with titebond is going to sound better than the compressed wood to wood joint of a bolt on neck. Anyone have any reason to believe the dovetail is superior.. other than people selling guitars with them say so?

I agree with Jeremy-

The vast number of high-end, well-respected luthiers who use bolt-on necks these days compels us to rid ourselves of our preconceived notions. To me, it's non-issue as I own both types, and I didn't make my purchase decision based on this feature. It's all about tone and playability. I respect all these builders regardless of which method they believe in; I'm just a guy who likes to play the guitars they build so well...
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

A neck reset is a fairly simple task (for a qualified technician) which would involve being without your instrument for a few days.  Whereas, with a glued attachment it could mean a seperation of a few months.  Can anyone provide evidence that a bolt on neck negatively impacts tone or volume?  Does such a neck require more frequent resets?  

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I don't think that it does impact anything practically.

But, I don't like it. For aesthtic and 'feel' reasons. And yes, for a LOT of makers is a cost saving step. It just so happens I don' t like Taylors, but I wouldn't without the neck, I'd imagine.

Um, we can express personal preference and base purchase on that, right? Because for most guitar players, that's pretty much the case.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

A neck reset is a fairly simple task (for a qualified technician)

Nothing simple about removing a fret, drilling some holes and if your lucky, steaming the neck joint apart without any finish damage.  Oh, and a $500 neck reset vs. about five minutes (maybe $35 - $75).
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

This keeps being brought up, but really, when was the last time a quality acoustic needed a neck reset? I'm not talking old Gibsons, I'm saying you buy a Larrivee for instance? What do you have ten years? Never? It's not like it's maintenance.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I thought I liked Taylors , then I played a Larrivee and was blown away, bright ,but not too bright , beautiful sustain and sound.  I think Taylors are the new thing to get in acoustics, kinda like a Harley Davidson, its "cool to have one"
I also think that  a lot of artists play them on stage but record with the classics, like the group America, they perform with Taylors but record with Gibsons and Martins I think.
I also think Taylors are way overpriced,for the price of a 810 I would rather buy a Santa Cruz DPW,or siimlar.
just my opinion,
dave

Quote from: DaveyO on January 13, 2009, 09:13:12 AM
I thought I liked Taylors , then I played a Larrivee and was blown away, bright ,but not too bright , beautiful sustain and sound.  I think Taylors are the new thing to get in acoustics, kinda like a Harley Davidson, its "cool to have one"
I also think that  a lot of artists play them on stage but record with the classics, like the group America, they perform with Taylors but record with Gibsons and Martins I think.
I also think Taylors are way overpriced,for the price of a 810 I would rather buy a Santa Cruz DPW,or siimlar.
just my opinion,
dave

Yes when you get in the upper range you are much better off with Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, and many others. Once in a shop I played a $3000 maple/sitka Taylor dread that sounded like a cardboard box in comparison to a Santa Cruz D they had there for around the same money -- not even close.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 12, 2009, 09:59:24 PM
"
I got past the bolt on neck when I played some Bourgeois' and Huss & Dalton's.

I agree.  Collings and Charles Fox to name two also use the bolt-on necks.  I was hesitent at first, but now I love the idea of a bolt on neck.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 13, 2009, 07:17:58 AM
This keeps being brought up, but really, when was the last time a quality acoustic needed a neck reset? I'm not talking old Gibsons, I'm saying you buy a Larrivee for instance? What do you have ten years? Never? It's not like it's maintenance.

Depends on a lot of factors. I think Larrivee's builds their guitars really strong hoping they never need a neck reset. Consider that if your OM-03 should need a neck reset and a re-fret one day it will be 'totalled'. The repairs will probably cost more than the guitar is worth. The thing that really bothers me about Larrivee using the dovetail is that I have never heard of them doing a neck reset. I've heard of them shaving bridges and making totally new replacement guitars instead; that coupled with the fact that the repairs can cost close to the value of the guitar make some of them seem sort of disposable.

Another thing I can't stand about Taylor guitars is their neck.  Compared to Breedlove and Larrivee, the neck just has too much wood. Definitely harder to play than other guitars in that quality range.
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element
Avalon U5
2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD