Larrivees and Taylors

Started by HNS, January 11, 2009, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was just looking at some U tube vids, and it struck me that more musicians at both sides of the pond seem to play more Taylors than larrivees, actually I habent seen any stars play Larrivees (it could be my mistake). Any reason why?

I just sold my GS8 because it sounded very much like my L-19.  I like the latter a bit more, So I kept my Larri.

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

any comments
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

Quote from: nayoud on January 11, 2009, 02:07:48 PM
I was just looking at some U tube vids, and it struck me that more musicians at both sides of the pond seem to play more Taylors than larrivees, actually I habent seen any stars play Larrivees (it could be my mistake). Any reason why?

I just sold my GS8 because it sounded very much like my L-19.  I like the latter a bit more, So I kept my Larri.

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

any comments

Those professional musicians, what do they know.   :humour:

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Yeah ... they may not  :humour: :humour: :humour:

I was reading something in a book on the amazon website and an author said that it is evident from the Larrivee design that Jean was originally a classical guitar luthier .... well I'm not a luthier and I don't know about guitar design, and I still dont know what that comment aims at accomplishing but the Taylor GS model seems very close if not "borrowed" from the L body .... the tone is not that different in comparison to Martins or Breedloves or other guitars ...

is this a marketing thing or am I missing something here .....

I love my two Larri's anyway
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

I've found anything in the 03 series better than any Taylor for the most part. So the decision is easy for me.

Out of 25 or so Taylors I've played only two were guitars I'd like to have: a surprising 310, and a koa englemann dread that had one of the best sweet/singing trebles I've heard on a guitar. Generally though I find Taylors ordinary and inactive.
L-03 Italian Spruce

My son has an all wood Sapele (not Laminate) Taylor 214 that is really a nice player and I have first right of refusal if he ever gets the itch to sell it. I think Taylor works really hard at marketing and promoting their guitars and has a bigger network of dealers. They also do a lot of nice work with special woods (ie R. Taylor, Liberty Tree guitars, etc)  but Larrivee is the best kept secret in the guitar world IMHO and I think they do a better job for less. Jean Larrivee said he wants to put his guitars in the hands of players.

P.S. My son loves my Larrivee Parlor for fingerstyle blues.

I think both Taylor and Larrivee make excellent guitars.  I have several Taylors and A Larrive LS-03 Hog with the FIII on order (excited about that).  Right now I would say the nicest sounding guitar that I own is my Taylor 1996- 712c with a ventian cutaway.  The wood must be opened up just right, because there is just something magical about the sound.  And I think Taylor does a lot more marketing, and Larrivee markets by word of mouth from players and this FORUM, which I wish I had discoverd long ago.  I have learned a lot by reading everyone's comments.

Quote from: nayoud on January 11, 2009, 02:20:53 PM
the Taylor GS model seems very close if not "borrowed" from the L body .... the tone is not that different in comparison to Martins or Breedloves or other guitars ...

That's a bit of a personal epiphany for me. That's probably why I prefer Larrivee OMs and Taylor GAs over Larrivee Ls and Taylor GSs (and most Martins and Breedloves for that matter)...
Singin' Fool

1997 Taylor Cujo 14
1999 Larrivee OM-10 reserve koa
2003 Taylor PG LTD
2006  Fender GDO500
2008  Taylor GC7

I would also imagine Taylor has a larger 'give away' budget than Larrivee. I'd bet dollars to donuts those celebs in the ads didn't pay for that guitar. Come to think of it, I've yet to see a Larrivee ad.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

None of my favorite musicians play a Taylor as far as I know.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 11, 2009, 05:13:47 PM
I would also imagine Taylor has a larger 'give away' budget than Larrivee. I'd bet dollars to donuts those celebs in the ads didn't pay for that guitar. Come to think of it, I've yet to see a Larrivee ad.

holly

Yes .... I agree with you  :+1:
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

Quote from: strawintogold on January 11, 2009, 05:13:47 PM

holly

Holly,

Check out Acoustic Guitar magazine. Recent issues including the current issue have had a print ad with Jessie Farrell playing an LV-09E.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Word of mouth is still the best advertisement. If you look at the size and placement of the most recent Larrivee ad referenced by Lyric Girl, smaller ads that don't grace the inside front cover and aren't full page ads have been their trend for the past year or two. I'd rather see Jean Larrivee commit those dollars toward finding wood (Silver Oak, Mahogany, Flamed Maple, Lacewood etc.) for guitars.

Just thinking out loud here but if I ran Larrivee's PR/Sales Department, I would include a card in the case of every Forum III guitar inviting the purchaser to submit a photo of them with their guitar in action (on the couch, at church or the local club, wherever) and post all of them to their web site. How cool would that be if they started offering a limited/special edition guitar designed with input by their customers annually? It would certainly start the year off with a bang. 

P.S. Even though I have a Larrivee, I still want a Taylor Leo Kottke Signature Model 12 string too. They are great guitars.

There is a Taylor LKSM 12 string for sale on our forum listed by guitom

I love Taylors, Martins and Larrivees, all for their various personalities and qualities, but recently I had to make some choices to cut down my stock of guitars. In recent years, I've figured out I like the bass orientation of a Martin, but the feel of a Taylor. Larrivee L bodies give me the best of both.

I cut out a bunch of my guitars because of a fragile job situation, which has since become more stable. In discovering the Larrivee line and great compromise it gives me, I wonder if I will go back to having as many guitars as I once had. It would be nice to simply fall in love with the Larrivees and not have to.

As for the proliferation of other brands on tv and on stage, could it be a matter of having an artist relations manager who has the freedom to give away more guitars than whomever at Larrivee can?
Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160

IMHO, Larrivees and Taylors are two very different animals. :cheers
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I like em all . . . . different but all good!!

and:  I would also imagine Taylor has a larger 'give away' budget than Larrivee. I'd bet dollars to donuts those celebs in the ads didn't pay for that guitar.  Well, that's just not the case.  I'll take the dollars instead of the donuts . . .  :smile:
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on January 12, 2009, 12:57:41 PM
I like em all . . . . different but all good!!

and:  I would also imagine Taylor has a larger 'give away' budget than Larrivee. I'd bet dollars to donuts those celebs in the ads didn't pay for that guitar.  Well, that's just not the case.  I'll take the dollars instead of the donuts . . .  :smile:

and you are basing this on?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I have heard some good Taylors, but I have also heard some real duds.
I have yet to hear a bad Larrivee, it is just me personal observation that Larrivee's are more consistant.
Probably has more to do with production methods than design. Could be a number thing or a quality control thing.
Remember it is said either Jean or Matthew touch every guitar coming from Oxnard.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

03 Series any day over a Taylor of any kind.  I have heard some good sounding Taylors though I don't like their 100 and 200 series models, way too expensive for what you get.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: PortHueneme on January 12, 2009, 01:18:22 PM
I have heard some good Taylors, but I have also heard some real duds.
I have yet to hear a bad Larrivee, it is just me personal observation that Larrivee's are more consistant.
Probably has more to do with production methods than design. Could be a number thing or a quality control thing.
Remember it is said either Jean or Matthew touch every guitar coming from Oxnard.

I've played a couple of Larrivees that were not so good. Seems to be the exeption;  they are more consistent as you say -- the middle quality gits better than the Taylors. And of course the Larrivee sound flavor is very different. Many comment on the Larrivee being between a Martin and Taylor in sound. I don't hear that -- they seem more on the Lowden upfront fingerstyle side of things. If you hit or tap the strings around the soundhole on a Larrivee it has a quick percussive bounce back similar to a Lowden.
L-03 Italian Spruce