Paul Simon songs

Started by Zohn, January 11, 2009, 12:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've always been a Paul Simon fan, there are too many favourite songs of his to mention. I've listened to his version of Anji (Sounds of Silence album) again yesterday  drool ..... - he is such a gifted guitarist, musician, and writer.. I love the way in how Anji follows from "somewhere they can find me". The guitar's tone on that song is commendable, and I would love to have a guitar with similar tone to that one. Also the famous intro to "Homeward Bound". :winkin:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

My only criticism of Mr. Simon is that he doesn't play as much guitar as I'd like him to on his later albums.

His self titled first solo album is unbelievable...  great stylistic variety, and everything is recorded very warm and clean.  One of my favorites.

I learned "Anji" off the Paul Simon recording, it's definitely easier to follow than the Bert Jansch version (though I'm crazy about that one, too!)
Collings OM2 Custom (2010)
Gibson L-00 Reissue (circa 2000)
Yamaha FG-331 (80's)

http://www.workandworry.com = News and reviews of fingerstyle, acoustic guitar, folk, blues and beyond!

Check out the winter 2008 issue of The Fretboard Journal for some insight from Nashville guitarist Fred Carter, Jr. who played guitar on the song"The Boxer" with Paul Simon. I just picked up an issue today along with "Martin Guitars: A History" so I have plenty to read for a while.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 11, 2009, 08:26:41 AM
My only criticism of Mr. Simon is that he doesn't play as much guitar as I'd like him to on his later albums.

I agree, and feel the same way about James Taylor's newer stuff.  Both are high level acoustic players and stand on their own quite well I think.  JT plays a Ryan which you can't even appreciate on his current, Covers, because there's too many others playing along on every cut.  It's over produced for my taste.  I think that Simon's "band" projects are more inspiring, the instuments blend better; Simon seems to evolve all the time, pushing himself in new directions. 

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: ncognito on January 11, 2009, 06:27:23 PM

I agree, and feel the same way about James Taylor's newer stuff.  Both are high level acoustic players and stand on their own quite well I think.  JT plays a Ryan which you can't even appreciate on his current, Covers, because there's too many others playing along on every cut.  It's over produced for my taste.  I think that Simon's "band" projects are more inspiring, the instuments blend better; Simon seems to evolve all the time, pushing himself in new directions. 

DAVE

:+1: and isn't it sad Dave how artists like JT played their best music with "lesser" guitars? Now that "everybody who's somebody" flood them with their terrific instruments, they over-produce - I couldn't have said it better. Sting is another - most disappointing.... who'll ever forget his acoustic live version of Roxanne?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

JT's "Sweet Baby James" is one of my favorite albums.  On many of the songs there's a good handful of other musicians adding their special seasoning to the mix and like a great stew, my ears love the taste.  You can actually hear Taylor's very fine playing even in the thickest mix.  I think he'd be doing himself a real big favour if he gave me the Ryan, told all his musician friends to fend for themselves, grab his old Gibson and get back to basics.  Hey, I'd even pay the shipping.
                                                                                                                        :humour:   DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 11, 2009, 08:26:41 AM
I agree 100%. With that kind of talent, I would hope it would always be a little more prominant in his albums.

I've been messing around with a lot of PS tunes recently. For Hanukkah, my wife gave me a book of his lyrics from 1964 to 2008. It's amazing to find songs he wrote that I didn't know he wrote because someone else made them popular... Red Rubber Ball for example.
Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160

Quote from: Stratokatsu on January 16, 2009, 07:18:07 AM
I agree 100%. With that kind of talent, I would hope it would always be a little more prominant in his albums.

... Red Rubber Ball for example.

The morning sun is shining like a...

The Cyrkle?
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: Zohn on January 11, 2009, 12:03:04 AM
The guitar's tone on that song is commendable, and I would love to have a guitar with similar tone to that one. Also the famous intro to "Homeward Bound". :winkin:

Not sure if he was playing it on that song but Paul played a Guild JF-30 for years.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

I've always liked Paul but I do prefer his earlier stuff. I've been playing Homeward Bound quite a bit recently. I kinda like the live version with Willie Nelson. It doesn't sound that good when I play it that slow though.  :laughin:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I think Anji was the second song I learned to finger pick after House of the Rising Sun.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on January 16, 2009, 11:16:07 PM
I think Anji was the second song I learned to finger pick after House of the Rising Sun.
:+1: Not Anji, but House of the rising sun - everybody I know started off with that song!!! My first song was "love is all around" by the Troggs.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 16, 2009, 03:49:28 PM
Homeward Bound : I kinda like the live version with Willie Nelson. It doesn't sound that good when I play it that slow though.  :laughin:
:+1: Yeah I loved watching that one too. How's the sound of that OM Martin that Paul Used there? - wow!!!

Like ducktrapper says, I'd also like to hear his playing a little more. He studied with the same classical guitar teacher that my brother did (Alexander Bellow). He is a fantastic guitar player whom I've followed since the early days with Art. Besides Bessie Smith's music, I think Paul Simon has probably had the most & best influence on me. Check out "Paraphernalia" on his first solo album. Love it !
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: Zohn on January 17, 2009, 12:06:10 AM
:+1: Not Anji, but House of the rising sun - everybody I know started off with that song!!! My first song was "love is all around" by the Troggs.

Not to hijack a thread, but it would be interesting to know "first song learned"

I started with "Gloria" and moved up to the "House of the Rising Sun" (Animals version)

Wild Thing came first :cheers

And just so it's not a total hijack....."Duncan" is one of my all time favorites, followed by 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.

I  saw Paul Simon in Detroit at the Fox theater and it was one of the best shows I ever seen that was  two years ago. Would anyone know how  old he is. I love the Graceland album.

Paul Simon is 67.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I still count one of his concerts among the top 3-5 I have ever been to. I saw him many years ago. The tour after the Rhythm of the Saints came out. Tremendous band, a hybrid of the Africans and the Brazilians, it included Milton Nascimento's long time drummer, Robertinho Silva's sons, on percussion. As was the case with another of the top 3-5 concerts, the amazing Stevie Wonder, Simon also drew, at will, from all points of his 30 + years worth of catalogue. Both did all of the styles they covered extremely proud. Simon with interesting reworks of the classics and Wonder with astonishing recreations (down to the little Stevie voice on Fingertips).