Who Makes The Best Sounding Guitar Cable?

Started by AUGuy21, August 25, 2004, 09:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What brand of guitar cable should I buy? I am tired of my old Spectraflex that tangles like nobody's business and would like to spend some money for the best.

What do you all recommend?

I've heard Monster Cable is the way to go. Can you really hear a difference in sound when playing a nice guitar through a nice amp? What are the main differences?
Larrivee LV-03R (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05 (Sold)
Larrivee C-09 Custom
Larrivee OM-40 Walnut Limited
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (Curtis Novak Pick

Forget Monster cable. The best cables by far are George L's.
Amazingly clean and accurate.

Dave, could I buy a 20' from you with the jackets on the ends that I can use with my Strat and my acoustics? I saw that they offer extended plugs that are good for plugging into strats. Thanks!
Larrivee LV-03R (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05 (Sold)
Larrivee C-09 Custom
Larrivee OM-40 Walnut Limited
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (Curtis Novak Pick

Yes, you just purchase the total feet you need plus the ends you need, and cut.
Solderless is great!

The problem I have is I am using an I-Beam passive pickup (no battery in the guitar) and so the signal is weak to the Para DI box.

Has anyone tried the George L cables with a passive pickup?

I think what is needed is a very high impedence cable, although I admit I have no idea what that means.
Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat

I use all George L's (although not with passive).  I use the pre-packaged cords between my guitars, pedal board, and amp (I like the way the .225 cable lays better on stage).  I used the end connectors and the "cable by the foot" to make my pedal board.

I highly recommend George L's.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

I just had a Pure Western Mini put in my OO-05 and I use a 10' George L from it direct to the Ultrasound 50 DS2....works great but again, I've not tried any other cables.  Play mainly in my study..no outside performing but in my application, I'm very happy with the George L's.

Rick
LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

QuoteThe problem I have is I am using an I-Beam passive pickup (no battery in the guitar) and so the signal is weak to the Para DI box.

Has anyone tried the George L cables with a passive pickup?

I think what is needed is a very high impedence cable, although I admit I have no idea what that means.
samarks,
You will need to keep the cable very short. The passive IBeam has a very low(ridiculously so) output, so the cable needs to be low capacitance and SHORT. George L is a good choice.

I would recommend that you look at installing a Fishman Strap jack preamp. It will make all the difference in the world. I don't know why Baggs sells passive IBeams, they need a good buffer/preamp. The active IBeam is great!

My opinion, from my experience...

Ron
Ron

Call me crazy, but I prefer the Monsters to the George L's (nothing against the George L's--they are undoubtedly a quality cable). For live performance, however, I use CBI's. I just can't bring myself to take $300 worth of cables to a gig.

Planet Waves make a good assortment of very rugged and gig worthy cables. They have a lifetime warranty and are available just about anywhere.

In the studio I use the same cables and can detect no difference between them and Canare Star Quads, even at very high resolution recording.

One of the best things that you can do is buy a can of DEOXIT and keep your cable ends clean. That will make a big difference in keeping the "hissies and scratchies" away.

This is a good link to more than you ever wanted to know about cables:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audiop...ples/cables.htm

Ron
Ron