Great Guitar Movies

Started by Nmbr5, January 07, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There are a boatload of great guitar (concert) movies.  Go to NetFlix and search on Greatful Dead, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Allman Bros, Doobie Bros, David Bowie, or the band of your choice.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

We need someone to make another one of those corny Americana movies, this time about the guitar. Like that one about baseball bats "The Natural."  This would be about The Guitar That Saves America and wins you the good looking girls. Just when you thought all was lost, the hero emerges from his garage workshop with his hand built geetar and goes on to vanquish the heathens.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Do not see 'August Rush'.  'nuff said.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

While not specifically about guitar music, there are some movies with guitar oriented soundtracks that really set the mood.

"Paris, Texas" and "Dusk to Dawn" are two movies that come to mind. The theme for the "Twin Peaks" TV series is another example.  Any others?
Ron

hmmm.

it didn't make it to the movie(i think) but i am very curious to hear the "lucifer rising" soundtrack music that jimmy page wrote.
i hear it was the source for "in the evening".

i never realized how powerful a rock song "in the evening " is until i saw it "live" on the dvd.

even though pagey has been my hero for years, i only ever saw the substandard footage from "the song remains the same".
i watched the complete dvd and was blown away by his precision live.
achillies last stand is a marvel and there are no easy spots for him playing it.
awesome musical  exertion.

Quote from: ronmac on January 13, 2009, 06:39:54 AM
While not specifically about guitar music, there are some movies with guitar oriented soundtracks that really set the mood.

"Paris, Texas" and "Dusk to Dawn" are two movies that come to mind. The theme for the "Twin Peaks" TV series is another example.  Any others?

Speaking of Twin Peaks...on a baritone?

I love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_06O8XnJQo

I can't believe we've gotten this far without mentioning Jack Black's "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.   Or maybe I can.   :bgrin:

John Hammond's " In Search Of Robert Johnson".

I've only seen clips of it on youtube, but "Heartworn Highways" looks awesome.  Early clips of steve earle and townes van zandt at guy clark's cabin.  totally boozed up and jamming.  totally hand-held, low budget.

It's good.  Pretty much the real deal, warts and all,  for those folks in those times.  Definitely not polished.
Larrivee OM-60SH
Martin 000C-16RB

Almost Famous

about traveling bands during the seventies  (like Humble Pie ) and a kid meeting Lester Bangs for his first job with Circus magazine. Music by Peter Frampton. Directed by that Terminator guy. Big homage to Stairway in the special features.

Pretty good music in it I must say but I'm just not a fan of Kate Hudson.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Jack Black's School of Rock is mildly entertaining.
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster

I just bought 'Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo'.  Its a National Lampoon movie done by Les Claypool (the madman from Primus).  It's a hilarious spoof on jam bands and the whole summer tour thing (e.g., Bonnaroo).

Rolling Stone called it "the jam band Sinal Tap".

I think Claypool is hilarious, and this movie highlights his clever ways.

BTW, he has many side projects.  One is Oysterhead.  That's him on bass, Stewart Copeland (Police) on drums and Trey Anistasio (Phish) on guitar.  They make some pretty amazing music.

P
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I like the the Allman Brothers 2003 release "Live at the Beacon Theatre." It is now out of print. Click on the link below for a backstage acoustic clip.  :cheers

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks - Old Friend
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps", although somewhat bizarre and disjointed, is fun to watch.
Ron

How about "Honeydripper?" It came out last year, directed by the great John Sayles.

It stars Danny Glover as a juke joint owner in danger of losing his place, until the right guitar player comes along and packs 'em in.

it has a great cameo performance from Keb Mo, too.
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

Shine a Light - Rolling Stones

Directed by Martin Scorsese...

It is incredible.
It was on Movie Central. So I PVRed it!
It is very well done!!
Jeffrey

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 07, 2009, 10:13:12 PM
I liked Neil Young's soundtrack for "Dead Man" starring Johnnie Depp. Plenty of Neil's electric signature sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aCMgy0ES4

Wow.  That was really cool.  Definitely want to see that film.

My recommendations for great 'guitar' movies are the following concert DVDs:

- Eric Clapton's - Crossroads Guitar Festivals
- Eric Clapton's / Bryan Adam's / Bob Dylan's - Unplugged
- Neil Young's - Heart of Gold
- The Band's - The Last Waltz
- The Festival Express (across Canada in 1970?)

As far as actual movies, I recommend the movies "Once", "August Rush" ... and "Juno".    :guitar
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster