Great Guitar Movies

Started by Nmbr5, January 07, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm sitting here watching a movie called "Crossroads", not the Ralph Machio video from the 80's  :wink:

It's a concert video from the 2007 Eric Clapton Guitar Festival.
I went into the store to get a copy of "Concert for George" after watching a few clips on youtube thanks to another thread about the Beatles.
While there I picked a copy of The Band's "The Last Waltz"...during one song Clapton's strap comes off and he yells to Robbie Robertson who picks up his solo without dropping a note!

Crossroads features some amazing guitar players and I was wondering what else is out there that will remind me that I have a lifetime of practicing ahead of me.

Suggestions?

Ovation Celebrity CC57
Epiphone Joe Pas Emperor II
Martin DCX1E
Larrivee D-03-12R
Larrivee C-10 (1997)
Larrivee J-09 (1994)

I actually own both videos you mentioned, very well made films indeed.

These are  my personal favourite videos of EC
Assuming you like EC, I recommend you:

Eric Clapton and Friends live 1986
          -Layla, the best version of Layla IMO,
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCNx1yKQTw
Eric Clapton & Friends in Concert: A Benefit for the Crossroads Centre at Antigua
          -Old Love, personally IMO, EC's best solo in his career.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RkySEIDow
Eric Clapton: One More Car, One More Rider
          -Over the rainbow, also an amazing guitar solo in the beginning when being introduced to the crowds by Nathan East
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JVMREDnUdU

Also his new Eric Clapton: Sessions for Robert J  is pretty good too.

Yes....... I am a huge fan of EC  :bgrin:

The last waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAeQXH_gJ44
Jeffrey

I liked Neil Young's soundtrack for "Dead Man" starring Johnnie Depp. Plenty of Neil's electric signature sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aCMgy0ES4

If it sounds good, it is good.

:+1:  The Crossroads DVDs are outstanding - a big highlight for me is Carlos Santana and Clapton playing together on the 2005 one.

A couple of other suggestions:

David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk release from last year is a work of true class (it comes in a variety of cd/dvd combinations).  The concert features some of the best guitar playing you will see/hear, and was also of course one of Richard Wright's last performances before his tragic death.  The solo on Comfortably Numb just takes your breath away and certainly reminds me of my place in the guitar playing pecking order!   Also a couple of nice acoustic songs - e.g. Smile, a simple (even I can play it!) but beautiful song from his On An Island CD.

The Led Zepellin double DVD release from 2003 - a lot of pretty amazing stuff on there from Pagey.  Highlights, White Summer from the Albert Hall 1970 set and Going to California from the Earls Court 1975 set - actually all of that set is outstanding.  Avoid the Knebworth 1979 stuff, though.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 07, 2009, 10:13:12 PM
I liked Neil Young's soundtrack for "Dead Man" starring Johnnie Depp. Plenty of Neil's electric signature sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aCMgy0ES4

Brearsville
I agree with your comments re: Neil Young's soundtrack.  But the movie itself was one of the strangest movies I've ever watched.  I must be dense 'cause I just couldn't figure out what was happening most of the time;   but I loved the music and it seemed to fit the mood of the film very well.

Numbr5

The Crossroads DVDs are wonderful as others have said.    You get to see a lot of great players on one stage.

Here's another one of my favorites:    If you can find Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "10 Days Out: Blues from the Backroads" DVD it's definitely a must-see.    He travles the south and the delta region hooking up for brief impromptu jams with Etta Baker, BB King, Buddy Flett, Gatemouth Brown (may he rest in peace) and several other famous and little-known blues guitarists along the way. It's a documentary really.  The guitar playing is just awesome.  That's where I first ran across Buddy Flett.  He's great.  I wish I had his slide guitar skills and whiskey & cigarettes voice. Check it out if you can.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: Nmbr5 on January 07, 2009, 05:06:07 PM
I'm sitting here watching a movie called "Crossroads", not the Ralph Machio video from the 80's  :wink:

It's a concert video from the 2007 Eric Clapton Guitar Festival.
I went into the store to get a copy of "Concert for George" after watching a few clips on youtube thanks to another thread about the Beatles.
While there I picked a copy of The Band's "The Last Waltz"...during one song Clapton's strap comes off and he yells to Robbie Robertson who picks up his solo without dropping a note!

Crossroads features some amazing guitar players and I was wondering what else is out there that will remind me that I have a lifetime of practicing ahead of me.

Suggestions?

A cool story about the move Crossroads. There is a shot where a young girl is playing a classical guitar. The guitar was built by a friend of mine John Gilbert. John and I had a long distance friendship. He was my mentor and I the student in building classical guitars. When I saw the movie I call John up to tell him I saw his guitar in the film. He had no idea that it was in the movie and went out to rent it to see for himself. A real " crossroads " moment for me.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Nmbr5 on January 07, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

:+1: I just loved that part as well - awesome moment captured on film.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: es-335 on January 07, 2009, 05:42:07 PM

Eric Clapton: One More Car, One More Rider
          -Over the rainbow, also an amazing guitar solo in the beginning when being introduced to the crowds by Nathan East
:+1: I have that as well, and my favourite is Bell bottom Blues. Clapton plays an amazing selection of vintage guitars on that DVD.   

Quote from: es-335 on January 07, 2009, 05:42:07 PM
Yes....... I am a huge fan of EC  :bgrin:
Me too  :thumbsup

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

The movie Crossroads was not about EC but rather a young kid that was trained in classical music that wanted to learn how to play the blues. He made a deal with the devil...the last scene the guitar war with Steve vai was intense. i used to know both parts.

here is the guitar duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QKbnCDW94

Quote from: psp on January 10, 2009, 09:57:08 PM
here is the guitar duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QKbnCDW94

What a great clip, thanks for that!
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: FNG on January 07, 2009, 05:47:03 PM
Derek Trucks Songlines DVD... :+1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgKEPVPyF0

the allman bros. concert with trucks is outstanding as well.

The tab for the end is called Eugene's trick bag. Google it.  :thumbsup

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 09, 2009, 11:42:36 AM

Brearsville
I agree with your comments re: Neil Young's soundtrack.  But the movie itself was one of the strangest movies I've ever watched.  I must be dense 'cause I just couldn't figure out what was happening most of the time;   but I loved the music and it seemed to fit the mood of the film very well.

As strange as that movie was, it was visually spectacular when seen at the cinema. It had an eerie silver tint that was lost in the DVDs even in hi-def. It worked really well in that scene where they're riding through the birch forest.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 11, 2009, 08:39:23 PM
As strange as that movie was, it was visually spectacular when seen at the cinema. It had an eerie silver tint that was lost in the DVDs even in hi-def. It worked really well in that scene where they're riding through the birch forest.

Bearsville
I knew I was missing something.  Really though, I thought it was very interesting visually as well even on DVD.  Visually, and Audio-wise, it was great.  It was eerie and quirky and the editing was very unusual as I recall too.  It was the story that I was having a hard time grasping.  But it might have just been too deep for me I suppose.  I did enjoy the visual and sonic ride though.  I might even watch it again with a fresh perspective.
I just saw The Commitments again on tv last night.   That movie really holds up well and the music is just great.  Not guitar centered per se....  but really good r & b delivered with an almost punk attitude.

Tuffythepug

Tuffy, now that I'm remembering more of it, I think the ending of Dead Man was the most unsatisfying. That bit where they were just shooting at each other wasn't convincing.

I thought the scene with Iggy Pop was funny.

I've only seen clips of it on youtube, but "Heartworn Highways" looks awesome.  Early clips of steve earle and townes van zandt at guy clark's cabin.  totally boozed up and jamming.  totally hand-held, low budget.

anyone seen it?  I plan to buy it.

I'm also a huge billy bragg/wilco fan, and "Man in the Sand" (The making of mermaid avenue) is awesome.  There isn't necessarily any great guitar work on it, but if you are into folk music (especially Woody Guthrie), this is a must see.

P
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

There is more than one movie with the title Crossroads...the concert DVD we are talking about is a benefit concert organized by Eric Clapton.

The 80's guitar dual with the devil movie with Ralph Machio and Steve Vai is not where we started this thread  :wink: :wink:
Ovation Celebrity CC57
Epiphone Joe Pas Emperor II
Martin DCX1E
Larrivee D-03-12R
Larrivee C-10 (1997)
Larrivee J-09 (1994)

arlen roth taught machio to play for that movie.
i love arlen roth's playing.

how about guitar comedy?
six string samurai.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118736/

this quote could be telling however-"
"Six-String Samurai' is the kind of movie that is more fun to describe to someone else than to actually sit through yourself"

HA!