Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headstock and Bridge designs???  (Read 2703 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »

Hi Y'awl!
Would you guys like to share your favourite "Heads" and bridge-designs with me, and state the reason why you like them please? I'm already thinking of lots of stuff around starting out building, and to me these features seem the obvious place where Luthiers 'stamp' their creativity and individuality. (besides decoration) There are the traditional designs, and the more "radicals" like eg. Breedlove.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
mrrinse

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »

Bridge wise, I'm a fan of the pinless bridge used by Lowden and McIlroy. That said, the disadvantage of that system is you can't take the strings off without cutting them. So, for example, if you need to change an internal battery, or file down the bridge, etc, you need to replace the strings every time.

Headstock wise, I'm keen on simple designs like Larrivee and Lowden.

Larrivees LV-09, L-05MT and P-03; Lowdens S-7 (1988) (FOR SALE), O-12 (2004)  and Baritone (2009); McIlroys A25c (2003) and A25c custom (2010); Sada Yairi Soloist (1965) - nylon string; Parker NiteFly with Roland GK-2a MIDI pickup; PBC superstrat and 5 string bass; AER Compact 60.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:13 PM »

Oi, when your ready, I will design the best guitar you'll ever set your eyes on. As for for tone thats where you come in. As for the $$$, thats where you come in too, and as for me, FREE!
Cheers
fongie
P.S You will like my design, trust me
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

I really like the Bourgoeis "Snake head" style headstock. It looks great and is designed so that the tuners are placed in the perfect position to pull the strings straight over the nut. This insures minimum binding of the string at the nut and allows for very smooth tuning (helped by his use of Waverly or Gotoh 510 machines).

On traditional 12 fret to the body guitars I prefer the pyramid style bridge. Again, it looks great and, due to it's narrower footprint and the smaller bridge plate underneath, has a very positive effect on tone, IMHO.

I also love the "Lowdenesque" style bridge, as shown on my Simon Fay

But, for down right cool, the hand carved (by an elder craftsman of the Haida Nation) canoe bridge on my Haida Gwaii (built by Rob Bustos before he started Paragon Guitars) is hard to beat.

I am interested in seeing what others come up with...  drool

Ron

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:49 PM »

Patrick James Eggle makes beautiful guitars, and I like the headstock and logo on them.  A lot of people don't like it at all though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »

I really like the Bourgoeis "Snake head" style headstock. It looks great and is designed so that the tuners are placed in the perfect position to pull the strings straight over the nut. This insures minimum binding of the string at the nut and allows for very smooth tuning (helped by his use of Waverly or Gotoh 510 machines).

On traditional 12 fret to the body guitars I prefer the pyramid style bridge. Again, it looks great and, due to it's narrower footprint and the smaller bridge plate underneath, has a very positive effect on tone, IMHO.
But, for down right cool, the hand carved (by an elder craftsman of the Haida Nation) canoe bridge on my Haida Gwaii (built by Rob Bustos before he started Paragon Guitars) is hard to beat.

I am interested in seeing what others come up with...  drool
+1 Spot on with the "string-pull angle" - I share that sentiment - another a cool design in that way is Seagull's heads.
As for the "Snake head" - I'm a fool for Dana's designs as well, but I guess you know that all by now hey Ron?
Ben, that "Eggle" looks stunning too, I love it!
Thanx guys, looks like this thread is going to bring up some fancy designs - I love it!!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »

Ben, that "Eggle" looks stunning too, I love it!

You should see the rest of it Zohn -  drool drool drool drool drool

Even in my dream, it was out of my price range though.  mad

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
rate800

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »

Bourgeois does everything with class.  That is a wonderful headplate(snake head).

Ray L Teel

LS-03R #4 forum III
Martin D-35
Martin D-28 Marquis
guitom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

I like the simple headstocks like Martin or Larrivee, and also those with just a little extra visual interest.  I really like the Olson and Lowden designs.  I've had a couple of CFox guitars, and I loved them, but didn't like the headstock shape at all. 

Bridgewise, I really only like the Martin style belly (or a slight variation on the theme) or a rectangular pyramid bridge.  Unusual bridges really don't do it for me.  I'm know Breedlove makes a fine guitar, and I'd proudly own one of their traditional series, but I couldn't live with the pointy bridge.

I probably shouldn't post this, I just realized how truly boring I am.
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »

guitom, your opinion is just as valid as any others... We are so fortunate to have something for everyone available.

Here's a shot of my '70s Electra "Elvin Bishop" 335 clone (I know, it's electric, but I think the headstock and the symbol are so far out, man)

...and while I'm on the electric theme (put the Kool-Aid away kids!), here's a shot of my Brice 6 string fretless bass.

...same thinking as DB on the string pull issue.

Ron

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »

Back to the world of acoustics...

Here's the head for the Simon Fay

Ron

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 07:50:34 PM »

Thomsley, with M.O.P. logo and natural "firestripe" in the ebony overlay

Ron

Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

Try as you might, you just can't top a Blueberry Lobster:

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »

The lobster wins!

Ron

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:49:25 PM »

My electric guitar... Yamaha SA-2000s      I do not like the headstock at all....

Open book headstock is, IMO, the best looking of all!
Gibson J-45

this ain't my guitar
but this is my favourite bridge

Jeffrey

magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »

Zohn,my man .....Go to the Dream Guitar web-site,and scroll down(new instruments)8 boxes.You will come to the "How" Concert Grand 00 guitar.....Take a gander at "that" bridge.Then take a good look(and listen) to that git.....THAT is my "two years from now" guitar...I hope :blush:It fits perfectly with my current sensibilities(which are out of whack,now that I've got the bug). ........Is there any help for me? -:)

Best
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »

I like the simple headstocks like Martin or Larrivee, and also those with just a little extra visual interest.  I really like the Olson and Lowden designs.  I've had a couple of CFox guitars, and I loved them, but didn't like the headstock shape at all. 

Bridgewise, I really only like the Martin style belly (or a slight variation on the theme) or a rectangular pyramid bridge.  Unusual bridges really don't do it for me.  I'm know Breedlove makes a fine guitar, and I'd proudly own one of their traditional series, but I couldn't live with the pointy bridge.

I probably shouldn't post this, I just realized how truly boring I am.
I asked for opinions didn't I? - thanx for your "traditional" approach - I find myself in the mould for pretty most of the time too!!!

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 06:19:20 AM »

Back to the world of acoustics...

Here's the head for the Simon Fay

Nice head on the Simon Fay, I see it has a zero fret.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »

Thanks, Roger. Simon has since changed his headstock design and no longer uses a zero fret.

Ron

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:01 PM »

Thanks, Roger. Simon has since changed his headstock design and no longer uses a zero fret.
That shape is similar to the Petros headstock - in fact, at first glance I thought it was one. I have to say I love the "Open Book" Gibson look, and all its variations like Santa Cruz GC, Olson, Kevin Ryan, Brian Applegate, and the Thomsley. The Brice-stock is another nice one with almost straight string-pull on all the strings. The Haida Gwaii bridge is awesome, and the Electra-stock gives justice to the descriptive term "paddlehead" 
Thanx guys!
Check out these bridges by Michael Bashkin, Steve Klein, and Charles Fox  photos from the Dream guitars web-site

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: