"Thunder Downunder"

Started by fongie, January 04, 2009, 07:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G'day Mate's, check out my new addition, it's a one off guitar and also the first built by an Aussie Violin Luthier by the name of 'Kevin Johnson'. This guitar featured in alot of Albums, one of which was called 'Coloured Wings'. This guitar was owned by 'Jaya Lewis' who is the lead singer in 'Coloured Wings'. Back & side is made of Rosewood, and the Top is made of 'Tasmanian Blackwood'. A small guitar, made for finger picking but sounds awesome, custom built for Jaya in 1983. I couldn't resist, the temptation was to great and it was cheap for  Rosewood & Blackwood, and not to mention custom built and one off as well. Happy? Indeed.
Cheers
fongie

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fongie--

I was going to suggest that you name it Black Rose in reference to the woods used, and also because it's one of a kind, but I checked out "black rose" in wikipedia and discovered, as I suspected, that first of all black roses do not exist in nature; also that the symbolism implies that such a mythical rose is associated with  death, slavish devotion, anarchy and a few other cheary goodies.  I meant well. :blush:

I've never heard of a guitar with a blackwood top.  I did try a Taylor spruce top/ blackwood sides once that sounded real nice.  It's a beauty.  How does it sound?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: fongie on January 04, 2009, 07:00:39 AM
G'day Mate's, check out my new addition, it's a one off guitar and also the first built by an Aussie Violin Luthier by the name of 'Kevin Johnson'. This guitar featured in alot of Albums, one of which was called 'Coloured Wings'. This guitar was owned by 'Jaya Lewis' who is the lead singer in 'Coloured Wings'. Back & side is made of Rosewood, and the Top is made of 'Tasmanian Blackwood'. A small guitar, made for finger picking but sounds awesome, custom built for Jaya in 1983. I couldn't resist, the temptation was to great and it was cheap for  Rosewood & Blackwood, and not to mention custom built and one off as well. Happy? Indeed.
Cheers
fongie
Fongie, the cut-out-guit merchant down under!!!!! Dunno how you do it Mate, but I believe congrats are in order? :thumb  Interesting combination of Tassie-Black with Rosewood - 1st I have ever heard of. What's the sound like?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

fongie, you are coming up with some interesting guitars.

An acquaintance of mine from Europe who is a Scot living on the continent, Cams (Campbell), has a Blackwood topped guitar also. Very rich sounding! He's active on the Celtic forum and APM Forum.

I'll try to dig up a picture of it to post for comparison.

here tis.  Luthier Heiner Dreizehnter.

My blackwood bodied Larrivee OM-03 has been my main playing instrument the last 6 months. It is a superb luthier material. For those new to this forum, blackwood was quite a hit here when Larrivee released a quantity of guitars made from that wood about 4-5 years ago. Larrivee never used it for a top wood though, as far as I know.

Australian Blackwood is in the acacia family, along with koa.

I'm not aware of a Larrivee C-body being made, but there were a couple of DV-09/10s made of blackwood.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

G'day, ncognito, Zohn and Randy-R, I've only picked the guitar up yesterday, and restrung with new Elixir Ex- Lights Polies, the string hasn't yet settled but from what I'm hearing so far as you mentioned Randy-R, very rich sounding, loud but sensitive and sweet . The tone is beautiful and the harmonics, very pretty indeed, I'm very excited, and can't wait to cont. today to see what goodies she'll bring. I like the shape Kevin brought to this guitar and the depth. Definately made for Jaya and it suits me and my girl just the same. I've never own a Parlour, but I assume the comfort of the shape suggest she's not far off, a very small guitar compared to my Lavs (good for my short arms). Sold with the guitar, a 'Dean Markley' pickup, but I'm a little hesitant of the idea of clipping something on the soundhole. Though it was sold as VGC and it is, apart from couple of minor scratch marks, I can't help but to dig around for any other mishaps, that may have occured, so far so good. Ncogito, I do like that name, 'Blackrose' because the Rosewood back & side, has a very deep Red colouring and the 'Blackwood' has a rich brownish tinge with patterns hard to explain, very nice indeed. She's a keeper for sure. I'm not sure of the Elixir Polies, I'm not a great fan of polyweb, but I'll give it a go, so far she's holding up to expectation.
Cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on January 04, 2009, 05:30:53 PM
I'm not sure of the Elixir Polies, I'm not a great fan of polyweb, but I'll give it a go, so far she's holding up to expectation.
Cheers
fongie
Hey Fongie!!
Try out D'Adario EXP's if you haven't yet. I find them great, and in SA they're cheaper than the Elixer's. I like the "Plain string"-feel. I also bought a set of Martin coateds on Saturday, but have yet to try them out.
:cheers
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Hi Zohn, totally, I will do the D' ADDario's, I have never used Elixir Polyweb before and wanted so much to try them. I purchased these Extra lights for a very good price, so decided to try them. I've always use lights, but I thought maybe extra lights is the way to go with finger pickin'. Thanks Mate
Cheers
fongie

Oh this baby, sounds so sweet. Even with this Elixirs, the tone is definately beautiful, and for a small guitar, she projects loudly. I am very pleased indeed.
Cheers
fongie

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thanks Randy', by the way, I love the OM-03 'Blackwood' what would they be selling on the market these days for? I'm very interested. Thanks
Cheers
fongie

:nice guitar:

When I read the thread title I was thinking it was refering to the great Brent Lewis album named "Thunder Downunder".  A really great percussion/didj album that is worth checking out if you get a chance.

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: Johnny M on January 05, 2009, 08:34:30 PM
:nice guitar:

When I read the thread title I was thinking it was refering to the great Brent Lewis album named "Thunder Downunder".  A really great percussion/didj album that is worth checking out if you get a chance.

John
First thought that crossed my mind was AC/DC :blush:
One thing about Fongie though - guaranteed to surprise us always!! Go Fongo go!!!! :thumb  :donut :donut :donut

Quote from: Zohn on January 05, 2009, 11:28:42 PM
First thought that crossed my mind was AC/DC :blush:

The first thing I thought of was a venereal disease.  :yak:
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Check out this "all Tassie" Taylor - stunning.... :thumbsup
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/Tay426CELtd.html

Fongie,

Sounds like cricket and collecting guitars are the order of the day down under. I think I'm living on the wrong continent :doh. I'm sure the elixirs are pricey in OZ, but if you're looking for a tad bit more life out of your guitar, IHMO the 80/20 Nano's work well as opposed to the Polywebs. I use them on my Mcknight Slope Dred with African Mahogany B&S and they sound really good ~ to my ears.

Thanks for the pics and the post.

Cheers  :donut2 :coffee :donut

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Quote from: Safricanplayer on January 05, 2009, 11:38:39 PM
Fongie,

Sounds like cricket and collecting guitars are the order of the day down under. I think I'm living on the wrong continent :doh.
     ~ Ray ~

Shhhhhhhhhhh - SA has a huge score to chase today....

Oooo la' la', ahhh!, those pics HURT!! Man thats a nice Taylor, dead set a gem. If I wasn't savin' up for a 'C-19', 'C-10', and a 'Parlour cutaway', thats where I'd be headin'. BUT! I'm a Lav. Man, for now. Thanks for the pics Zohn. Hey Ray, I've got a set of Elixir Nano Lights, which I purchased for my 'C-05', but due to home renovation while on my holiday break, and gaz begging with you Protea's, I hadn't had the time. But, definately, lookin' forward to tryin' them out. Oi, whats the go with you Protea's? You'll be headin' home in PINK. Zohn, whats the go there, Huh? 'Confucius say....."Man who laugh last, laugh first", we might have lost 2 zip, but the last game is most important, see you in SA. You to, Ray. Thanks guy's.
Cheers
fongie  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Quote from: fongie on January 06, 2009, 03:29:29 AM
If I wasn't savin' up for a 'C-19', 'C-10', and a 'Parlour cutaway', thats where I'd be headin'. BUT! I'm a Lav. Man, for now.
Cheers
fongie 
:ohmy: What?? - you savin'? You seem to pick those Ausie-$$$ off the trees the way you seem to spend them - surely not a problem Mate?  :humour:
:cheers

Yes, Zohn, I'm savin'. Played this baby the other day 'Beautiful indeed' especially now that the strings have settled. Man, for a small guitar, it sure bangs a loud sound.
Cheers
fongie