Larrivee History - dug deeper.....

Started by Zohn, January 02, 2009, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I came across this page, and would like to share it with all those interested: I found the "Three Top-ranking pupils" part most interesting with some very well known names in there.... - enjoy   :winkin: http://cjtm.icaap.org/content/23/v23art4.html
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

A very enlightening read, Zohn.

Thank you for sharing the link.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Enjoyed skimming through the Top Pupils part... will read it slowly and enjoy it more.

Thanks for enriching our Larrivee experience, Zohn.  Canadians would have to be proud of these great luthiers.

ricky

Good read, thanks.
:donut  :donut2  :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Great article. :thumbsup

I enjoyed reading it very much.

Thank you,

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 02, 2009, 10:24:10 AM
Enjoyed skimming through the Top Pupils part... will read it slowly and enjoy it more.

Thanks for enriching our Larrivee experience, Zohn.  Canadians would have to be proud of these great luthiers.

ricky
Indeed Jean Larrivee is a special individual who I admire very much, it was good to find this article, and share it. There are plenty of skeptics at home, (some who haven't even seen a Larri before) about future value of these guitars. I just smile...
Ricky, there are some special people like you on this forum, many of them are Canadians; - I'm as proud of JCL as any Canadian should be - I bear the flag of his handwork in Africa!!! I believe he touched (and still does) many people's lives in the modern world, and its great to be around to share in the experience. He empowers people in all walks of life like India where he educates them on how to select, cut and work wood responsibly.  :+1:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

A couple of years ago I was at a Tony McManus concert. He's amazing. One of the guitars he played was built by Linda Manzer, and it was built to sort of "buzz" like a sitar when played. Very weird interesting sound. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I think it speaks to the courage (in terms of innovating) that the article's author was talking about.

I love my Martins but am really thankful for people like Jean and his students. (I love my L03 also!)

--Lee

Quote from: DrLeeDetroit on January 02, 2009, 03:01:49 PM
A couple of years ago I was at a Tony McManus concert. He's amazing. One of the guitars he played was built by Linda Manzer, and it was built to sort of "buzz" like a sitar when played. Very weird interesting sound. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I think it speaks to the courage (in terms of innovating) that the article's author was talking about.

I love my Martins but am really thankful for people like Jean and his students. (I love my L03 also!)

--Lee

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sonbfcBV7oA

Very interesting sound.  Thanks for posting that Lee.  I had never heard of this type of guitar before.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I had that link saved along with some others that are now dead but here is one to a page on Randy_R page with some pics of older larrivee guitars, headstocks, and misc. Flathead.
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

A couple of years ago I was at a Tony McManus concert. He's amazing. One of the guitars he played was built by Linda Manzer, and it was built to sort of "buzz" like a sitar when played.
--Lee
Then there's of course Grit Laskin who is an acomplished luthier himself, and who along with Harvey Leach are probably the greatest inlay artists alive. And David Wren - luthier, and owner of the 12th Fret in Canada - probably the most loyal Larrivee dealer, who stocks the biggest inventory that I know. The 12th fret has the best photographs of the guitars they stock of all web-dealers that I know. Some other famous JCL students that cross my mind are David Iannone (Morgan guitars) and John McQuarrie (Northwood guitars).

Quote from: Zohn on January 03, 2009, 12:23:11 AM
Then there's of course Grit Laskin who is an acomplished luthier himself, and who along with Harvey Leach are probably the greatest inlay artists alive. And David Wren - luthier, and owner of the 12th Fret in Canada - probably the most loyal Larrivee dealer, who stocks the biggest inventory that I know. The 12th fret has the best photographs of the guitars they stock of all web-dealers that I know. Some other famous JCL students that cross my mind are David Iannone (Morgan guitars) and John McQuarrie (Northwood guitars).

David Wren is one of the reasons that I jumped back into the Forum Guitar. I emailed him with the specs and he told me to go for it. I mean, I knew that b4, but hearing his comments helped push me back on board.

Thanks for posting the link. Was a very informative article.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Sergei de Jonge needs to be mentioned in connection with Larrivée too.  His work is exquisite and his family is fully involved in the craft.  He also teaches guitar building.

http://www.dejongeguitars.com/home4.html
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: Stephen Basil on January 03, 2009, 09:11:49 AM
Sergei de Jonge needs to be mentioned in connection with Larrivée too.  His work is exquisite and his family is fully involved in the craft.  He also teaches guitar building.

http://www.dejongeguitars.com/home4.html

:+1: Most interesting read, thanx Stephen. It must be heavenly to build guitars with one's children - even his daughters!
Then the plot thickens further - John Kilpatrick studied Lutherie under Sergei, and was offered an apprenticeship for six months in Oshawa. Ontario. Isn't this Canadian Luthier-family tree amazing, with JCL right on top. I'm looking out for one of John's guitars at the moment...

Thanks, Zohn, for sharing this.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

--Lee

At the 2007 Montreal Guitar Show, Linda Manzer had a sheet where you could write down your contact info, so that she could contact you when a spot opened up on her waiting list.  In effect, a waiting list to get on the waiting list.  Talk about in demand!
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others