Newtone Strings

Started by 12barBill, August 24, 2004, 08:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has tried newtone strings? I was not even aware of them until I saw them mentioned on this forum.

After checking some websites, they seem to be getting great reviews.

Lower string tension is a characteristic of them, and a really good feel, somewhat related to having a round core wire instead of a hex core wire on the wound strings.

Is the tension, when tuned to pitch, so much less that you would need to go to a heavier gauge?

Is the lesser tension only on the wound strings, or also on the plain strings?

How do they last as compared to coated strings?

Where has anyone found them? I have never seen them "on the shelf" anywhere. Where to order at the best price?  

Newtones (www.newtonestrings.com) are the best string that I have played.

Playability:  The lower tensions makes for very smooth play.  Tune your guitar down a 1/2 step with your current strings and it is a noticeable difference.  I don't think the lower tension of the newtones is quite this extreme but it is close.

Tone:  These strings really ring out.  Not overly bright but almost piano like (allegedly due to the round core).  As a benchmark, I always thought Elixir Nanos sound very good, but I like these better.

Feel:  I perfer the feel of regular pb's... never liked the feel of coated strings.  

Longevity:  I think they sound better then elixirs over the long haul.  I was getting nearly a month out of them and I like to change my strings pretty often.  

I purchase mine from Guitar Gallery (http://www.guitargal.com/strings.html).  They have a wide variety of gauges.  The set that I like the best are the "Newtone MasterClass Custom Acoustics: (.012- .016- .024- .034- .044- .054)"  Only $7.50 a set when you order 6 or more!  I call to order them and they arrive within 3 days.

I recently traded a Taylor 410 and included a set of Newtones with it after I told him how great they were.  When I shipped the guitar it had some Martin SPs on it that I had been giving a try.  He latter put some Elixirs on the 410.  At one point I recieved an e-mail from him saying that he liked the guitar but was thinking about selling it because it just wasn't getting much playing time.  A week or 2 latter I recieved another e-mail saying he had just gotten around to putting the newtones on it and it sounded like a new guitar.  He had changed his mind about selling it and was ordering newtones for his other guitar.

Hope this helps.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

Thanks Josh,

So, is the lower string tension only on the wound strings and the plain strings are pretty much like all other plain strings, or do you notice a lesser tension on the plain strings as well?

You said you liked the 12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54 set. Did you normally play a traditional "light" set (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53) as the Elixers would be?

Did you need a slight neck adjustment with the Newtones?

Are you using the phospher bronze or the 80/20s?  

QuoteSo, is the lower string tension only on the wound strings and the plain strings are pretty much like all other plain strings, or do you notice a lesser tension on the plain strings as well?

You said you liked the 12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54 set. Did you normally play a traditional "light" set (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53) as the Elixers would be?

Did you need a slight neck adjustment with the Newtones?

Are you using the phospher bronze or the 80/20s?
I would say that the overal drop in tension is noticable but slight.  It is not as if you are playing rubber bands.  As for the non-wound strings... it is really the overall feel rather than being able to notice it on any individual string.  I do not claim that if you strung my guitar with 5 regular strings and one newtone, that I could pick out which is the newtone.  I do feel that if you strung one guitar with newtones and another with a different brand, I could tell the difference by playing bar chords up the neck.

When I was using elixirs, I was using the light (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53).  With the newtones I do use the PBs, never tried the 80/20s with any strings.  I did not need a neck adjustment, but I generally play with a pretty light touch.  If you use a pick and strum pretty heavy I suspect you may need a slight tweak.  
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

I have tried Newtones on several of my guitars. I like the tone and they seem to stay fresh longer than D'Addario and JPs. I would probably use them more if I could buy them locally.

I use Mediums on all of my guitars and I don't notice much difference in the tension between the brands. Go ahead, call me insensitive:)

Ron
Ron

Yep, use'em & love'em..

I have a set in waiting for my Goody when I need a string change. But, the darned elixirs just never wear out.

Well, this is one more vote for Newtones from the guy who has tried every brand and make out there!!  They are, in my opinion, a very consistant sounding, quality made string.  They are the only string I can honestly say sound good on all my guitars (OM's, LS & Dreads).  I would add that the sound is bright and crisp when new, but after a few days of average playing, they really mellow and sound great.  

One more place to buy them in Canada is at The Twelfth Fret in Toronto:  

http://www.12fret.com/retail/newtone.htm

Buy them, you'll love them!!!

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

The gauge of the Newtone strings is lighter than other brands.  For instance, the lights are .11-.50 while D'addario lights are .12-.53.  

Should I go for the same 'name size' that is, get lights if I usually play lights, or try and match the same gauge?

It would seem the lighter gauge lights would lose some bass, no?
Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat

QuoteThe gauge of the Newtone strings is lighter than other brands.  For instance, the lights are .11-.50 while D'addario lights are .12-.53.  

Should I go for the same 'name size' that is, get lights if I usually play lights, or try and match the same gauge?

It would seem the lighter gauge lights would lose some bass, no?
I would try to match the gauges.  This would allow you to better compare the sound and feel of the strings you are currently using to the Newtones.  However, if you are going to buy several sets, it would not hurt to also get a slightly heavier and a slightly lighter gauge as well.  
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

can anyone comment on the squeak factor with the Newtones? I'm tempted, but as a user of Elixir Nano's I now kinda cringe when I pick up a guitar with non-coated strings...
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

Hey Dave, I thought you where supposed to pick up the Newtone string line soon. Is this still in the works???
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

Yes, I would certainly say that the Newtone strings have more squeek than Nano's but that is the trade off and difference between coated and uncoated strings.  I personally prefer the crisp squeek sound when I slide up and down neck to the muted sound of a coated string.  But that is personal preference, nothing more or less.  I guess I'm still a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to strings.  But, after saying all that, I currently have Nano's on my D03!  And I would say that they match perfectly with that guitar for what I use it for.  And, of course, there is the fact that Nano's will still out last any uncoated string.

One other thing that was not mentioned above was that they also make Newtone Master Class Custom guage strings.  They do come in a 12-54 (slightly heavier that the med light's) that is one of the most versitile guage's in my opinion.  They work well on OM's and dread's and don't feel any heavier than light guage strings.  Something to consider at least...

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin