Correction in Ref - Short grain shrinkage finish?

Started by makanani1, January 01, 2009, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut2 :coffee

REF Correction- Short Grain Shrinkage...
Does anyone know, or can fully explain what exactly is a short grain shrinkage finish? Is this conidition due to the cut of the wood, or the moisture of the wood when constructed. I've heard this referenced, but not sure what the condition is.
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 614ce
Alvarez MD350

I'll guess that it is a reference to the appearance of finish on end grain of wood. Easiest place to see the difference is on the neck of you Larrivee - since it is a single piece of mahogany, as you look over the whole neck, you can find areas of quartersawn, flatsawn, endgrain, and many other areas of "rising" or "falling" grain patterns. These different areas expose the pores and the cells in the wood differently, and the difference in porosity affects how the finish is absorbed. Endgrain, or I'm thinking it is this "shortgrain", frequently absorbs far more finish, and can appear quite a bit darker, especially as compared to flatgrain. The angle of the cut across the pores and cells also can affect the reflectivity of the wood, but that is also very different depending on the degree of sanding done, or even more if the area is only hand scraped or planed. Some woodworkers use sealers or stains on the wood to minimize the differences in color and appearance, others don't -

I don't think it has anything to do with the moisture content at all.

Wish I could offer more, but that is the best I can guess at without a better frame of reference to the terminology used, since I've not heard it before -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -