GOTOH 510's

Started by aarra, December 31, 2008, 12:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy New Year Everyone,   :cheers
I'm looking for some help/advice.  I've read in various threads that the GOTOH 510's are a direct drop-in replacement for the original Larrivee tuners on a OM-05.  There's a store on ebay, "petguitars" that has a set which they describe as 510 series with a vintage housing and wood buttons.  They look nice but are expensive, and I want to make sure they will fit before I buy them.  Does anyone have any experience with them.  I'm not very knowlegeable in that area and I asked the seller and his response was   "I'm not sure. It will certainly fit, but the screw may be in a different place. Check out the foot print."  Any suggestions or comments?  He did not provide me with the footprint for his GOTOH's but I will ask.  Thanks in advance for any help.
        aarra

check out this thread - should answer all your questions.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=16491.0

basically, the standard sized 510s (not the minis) with the screws at 45 degrees to the main housing of the tuner are the ones you want.  I am still planning on getting a set for my OM-03 in the future.  They look great.  I think the chrome ones look better on the 05/09 series, because of the silver binding on the headstock, and the gold ones look better on the 03s.  Just my opinion.

Good luck.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks for the quick response.  I received another response from petguitars  "I know that the screw hole tab is in the center, not off to the side. It seems to be a Grover replacement."

simple answer - t the best of my knowledge wrong screw position at the top, right one below.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks much for all of the help and the link.  You are right, I can't use those tuners.  Saved me a lot of aggravation and money, particularly since I have my deposit on the Forum III.  Thanks again and Happy New Year.   :thumbsup

510's with the screw on the side are the exact drop-in replacements and they are great tuners.  I already bought a set from Stewmac for my F3.  Crome for my IS/RW, also not a lot of money to buy.  They are sitting here on the shelf waiting for my guitar to arrive.  :bgrin:
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I must say Bluesman, you have good taste  :cheers  in many of the same guitar avenues.

Add me to the 510 fan club.  I have them on my OMV-09 and had them on my Collings C-10.  I like them better than the Waverlys on my other guitar.

Ken

The 510 is a nice tuner. I have them on my Dana Bourgeois DBJ-C and my Simon Fay OM. They are very smooth and never slip, just about all you can ask a tuner to be.
Ron

While looking at this post, my memory was challanged about other drop-in replacement tuners for the stock Pings.

Did a search for 'gotoh 1951' and found a number of posts from a few years back that discussed them.  They are more traditional looking and not as expensive as the 510's.

Here is one thread with discussion by 'dbirch' and 'unclrob'
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5094.0

:beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I documented my tuner change on my L05 from the Pings to Gotoh 1951's in this thread a while back:

Ping to Gotoh 1951 tuner change

I got my Gotohs for $20 brand new on ebay. Two years later they are still working flawlessly.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

drathbun
Thanks for adding that link.

Looked around a bit on the Stew-mac site and it looks like the 1951's, 0903's, 1955's, and 0914's all share the same body, just differnt tuner buttons.  The specs for the shaft, and mounting screw look exactly the same. 
All of them should be direct drop-ins, with the same machine inside.

With all the recent talk about the 510's, seemed like the less expensive alternative had been forgotten.
:beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I just ordered a set of Gotoh M-6 knock-offs for the LSV-03R(IS) FG III #/#  I've ordered and now I see there's a possibility that the guitars will be shipped with Schallers.

Curses to my impetuous nature!

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

The 510's are drop-ins for newer Larrys.  They are NOT drop ins for the older ones.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 06, 2009, 01:21:28 PM
The 510's are drop-ins for newer Larrys.  They are NOT drop ins for the older ones.

Define "older" please?
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: drathbun on January 06, 2009, 03:36:27 PM
Define "older" please?

Don't know the exact date that they changed the screw hole placement on the pings.  I have a  Larrivee from the early 2000's, and the 510's will not drop in.  I'd have to drill new screw holes, and fill in the old ones.  The old style Schallers were a direct drop in for the older pings, but you cannot find them anymore.  Look at the current mini's that Larrivee uses, that is what their regular tuners used to look like....same screw placement.
If you want to swap out tuners on the Larrivee parlour or 12 string, you'd have to use the Schaller mini's, and not the Gotoh mini's.

Hi all,
I love Gotoh 510 Delta!  It stays in tune and has good precision.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=21787.0

Above thread is my documentation and result of my replacement.

cheers,
Peter