12 string guitars. Why?

Started by strawintogold, December 30, 2008, 09:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love my OM-03-12 and just finished playing it for almost an hour.  Yes, it is different that a 6 string, but not by much.  I try to play fingerstyle with it and it is a nice change up from my 6 string.  More everything is probably the best way to put it.  Yes, there are techniques that you pick up on but that is half the fun of it.  A "C chord" is still a C chord on the 12 string - same fingering, but there are more possibilities to explore with a 12 string with what strings you use, or don't use.  I don't see this guitar going anywhere for a long time. 

My advice - buy one and see how you bond with it.  What's the worst that can happen?  You sell it?  Try it, you'll like it  :winkin:

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

I have one sitting in the closet with 6 strings on it, it just bored me after I got my 1st LSV-11. But I would sure like to have a Guild maple 12r around for certain songs.

I always wanted one but did not get one until the late '80s when I found a really nice Mossman mahogany 12 string. Sounded great and everyone loved to play it but it just didn't suit me for some reason that I have never quite put my finger on. So I got an LV-03-12 and sold the Mossman to our other guitar player and he and I are both very happy with the results. Larrivee makes outstanding 12 strings!

The 12 string has a ricer chimy sound that sounds great as an accompaniment for a singer. It lends itself to simpler accompaniments. Listen to Paul Simons beautiful intro to For Emily Wherever I May Find Her or to Roger McGuinn with the relatively recent recording of From a Distance with the Byrds (on the boxed set).  Rarely do intricate leads work unless you are Leo Kottke or Chris Proctor or you are playing 8 Miles High.

In my current cover band, I play a 12 string on several songs including the Who's classic Pinball Wizard, a version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow similar to Dave Mason's and a version of the Beatles' I'll Be Back.

They will build up your endurance.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I remember reading on some website that the key to playing a 12-string is to play half as many notes as you're tempted to.  I've always tried to follow that advice.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

12 strings...why?!
Because angels play them--silly people thought they were harps  :rolleye:
Holly, my 1st guitar was a 12 (thats the old Crestwood that I swapped you tuners for).  I then just learned with an extra bit of strings  :smile:
Carried it across the country learning everything from Metheny to Neil Young.  The voice of a 12 can play those open, jazzy chords, drone or modal chords, lush, full accompanying chords, and it really isnt that hard to keep in tune; I did it by ear for 15 yrs. before getting a Korg tuner.  That makes a world of ease and for those days you just cant "get it."  I have never been w/o a 12, and have been severely tested with this F III talk, as I considered putting my D03-12 up to finance it, but then I put her in DADGAD and...holy mackeral  :bowdown: ...
its off to see the wizard.  And its not that difficult to play w/fingers--I have never used plectrum.  I also think it builds your calousses much wider/better  :thumb

*sigh*

I so didn't want to be tempted by a 12 string,lol. Maybe I can find someone to trade me.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

If you dont like that F III come May, I'll swap you my D03-12 (plus some dollars)  :whistling:
(I'm not holding my breath!)

Holly:

I didn't open up all the posts on this thread but this medley of two of my favorite Leo Kottke tunes shows the versatility of the 12 string:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Rkzi4Glug

He once described the difference between a 12 string and a 6 string as the difference between an organ and a piano. Pretty fair analogy to me. As part of my son's Christmas present we have two front row seats for the Ernie Hawkins/Leo Kottke concert in Pittsburgh on 1/17/09. I don't know where you live but if Leo's anywhere within 6 hours of your house, go see him in concert. He usually plays small venues solo with a set the runs 90 minutes or so and he manages to get all over the place.

My LV-03MT 12 string will take anything I throw at it including Early Mornin' Rain and Carefree Highway (Gordon Lightfoot), Darcy Farrow (John Denver), Eight Miles High, Pamela Brown (Leo Kottke versions). Also check out www.neiljacobs.com. I paid 10 bucks for a front row seat to see him in my hometown in November 2007 and he brought and played three 12 strings including the one on the home page of his web site. My son and I got to hang out with him for a couple of hours after the show. You should watch him play "The William Tell Overture" (The Lone Ranger's theme) on a 12 string.

Quote from: Johnny M on December 30, 2008, 10:51:59 PM
I love my OM-03-12 and just finished playing it for almost an hour.  Yes, it is different that a 6 string, but not by much.  I try to play fingerstyle with it and it is a nice change up from my 6 string.  More everything is probably the best way to put it.  Yes, there are techniques that you pick up on but that is half the fun of it.  A "C chord" is still a C chord on the 12 string - same fingering, but there are more possibilities to explore with a 12 string with what strings you use, or don't use.  I don't see this guitar going anywhere for a long time. 

My advice - buy one and see how you bond with it.  What's the worst that can happen?  You sell it?  Try it, you'll like it  :winkin:

John

Does yours have the "bearclaw" spruce top?

12's tuning is either close or no where near in  tune!  :roll Yes they are fussy and complicated, but the feel of the double strings for both fretting and plucking gets to be second nature quickly. I did find that there is a big difference in feel depending on the quality, so you should audition several brands and models. Big chimey happy sound.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

This is either a zombie thread or a Lazarus thread, depending on your inclination.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on June 13, 2011, 10:00:37 AM
This is either a zombie thread or a Lazarus thread, depending on your inclination.

Undead thread? The George Romero dirty dozen

Old threads never die.They just fade away
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

That'll happen when you pull on an old thread. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 13, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
That'll happen when you pull on an old thread. 

lol

Worthy of the original poster. I miss hearng from her.
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}