Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loud strings revisited (Cleartones?)  (Read 1249 times)
pennerblue

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »

Hi all-  I had an earlier post about loud strings and most responses were pooh-poohing the idea that strings are different from a volume perspective.

I saw an add in GuitarWorld Magazine (a rag for electric heads) claiming Cleartones (acoustic) are louder.  Here's the link
http://www.cleartonestrings.com/FileLib/75percentlouder.pdf

I had wondered why no one had done a study like this earlier.  It is reproducible (from a scientific standpoint).  While the setup is a bit weird (a board rather than an actual guitar), I'd love to see the results of this experiment for ALL major string brands.  What I'd also love to see is a comparison of major dreads with the same strings to compare guitar volume.

I don't get how they make the claim that the Cleartones are 75% louder however.  87 dB versus 79 dB, that's 8 dB which is roughly 10% of 80.  Definitely seems like creative statistics--something that advertisers (and unfortunately some scientists) are prone to do.

Anyway, this to me, is the first actual data to suggest that some strings are louder.

Thoughts?

I know that Cleartones get routinely bashed on this forum based on tone (while some folks still do prefer them).

And yes, of course TONE is most important of all, but there are other important string characteristics (volume, feel, durability, sustain, etc.)

Penner

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »

Cleartones shred my fingers, sound tinny and feel really uncomfortable to fret. Other than that I'm sure they are fine....

That's, JMO, the most comfy all around nice strings I have tried yet are Thomastik Bronze Spectrum. With a whole lot more in between.  I'm not sure loud makes up for anything lacking. Then again I don't play a board. In fact I'm a bit baffled how that translates to an acoustic guitar.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:12:55 PM »

hmm, is louder the better..?

Jeffrey

pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »

Two quick replies...please let me clarify one thing...TONE is MOST important. No doubt. 

BUT if two strings have similar tone, feel, etc., I'd take the louder ones any day of the week (for bluegrass jamming).

I started this post as a re-take on my earlier post about loud strings. I didn't intend this to be a "See, Cleartones are better because they are louder" post.

I'm interested to see:

1) if anyone has seen other studies (and if not, why hasn't someone done them)
2) thoughts/personal experience on which strings are louder
3) thoughts on my comments (original post) about this "scientific" study.

So yes, to me, louder is better (for bluegrass jamming, not for chillin' on the couch fingerstyle) IF and ONLY if the tone/feel etc. is comparable.

Catch my drift?

Thanks
Penner

I'm finding (as many others have) that different strings are best on different guitars.  Some folks are die-hards for one brand and size, and that's fine with me.  However, as I improve (I've got a long way to go...) and develop a better "ear", I'm liking different strings on different body styles and wood combos.

I wish that in the future when we get into string discussions that we would all clarify which the preferred string is for a particular guitar.  John Pearse PB Meds(one of my favs) might be the best for my silver oak dread, but not for my L03R.

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »

I did not like the strings on the P-05 that came with(believe they were cleartones?).  I've only heard good things about John Pearse strings. So I put them on my P-05 but didn't quite sound right, too bright. So I put EJ16's on the P-05, and it was the right fit. Sounded fantastic!

However, John Pearse PB sound fantastic on my J45.

Weird ain't it? both sitka/hog guitar... yet it felt quite different with the same strings.

Jeffrey

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »

Jeff,

Why is that guy falling over?

PB,

I didn't think you were saying louder is better. I'm still unconvinced though because it wasn't done on a guitar. I wonder why? Too many variables? I just don't think strings plucked on a board are relevant to a guitar with a soundhole, sound board, back and sides. But if you play a board, it could be helpful.

I tried a lot of strings, Martins are one opf my least favorite. They just don't feel user friendly to me. But, I don't play bluegrass. I like the JP strings but don't think they were better than the D' Addario's (that every other guitar I've looked at comes with) I use on the others. To me the Thomastiks, albiet what, twice as much, provide a much  more pleasing tactile sensation along with sound.

Maybe style has to do with it as well? I finger pick mostly, if one used a pick instead the 'finger feel' wouldn't be relevant.

holly

ps. I do have JP lights on my SO and boy does that baby ring. if I can't get that from Thomastiks, I'll still with the JP's.

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: