Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Bone Saddle  (Read 2099 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:15:14 PM »

I've seen posts regarding bone saddles directly from Larrivee. Does Larrivee ship directly to you (as a customer - no dealer involved)?  

Do you just contact them through their website - phone or e-mail?

What is the price of a bone saddle from them?

Is it precut to fit - simply drop into the bridge, or will "fitting" be involved for correct action (string height, setup)?

Have you noticed much difference from the TUSQ saddle?

What about the nut? Leave the TUSQ nut, or change it to bone also? I realize the nut will only affect "open strings.

Just looking for anyones opinions/experiences.

sublro

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:31:09 PM »

Hi -

You can contact them through the website (email) and order direct. I think the cost is something around $20, don't remember exactly.

I was surprised that the replacement saddle for my D-03 was not a true drop-in replacement, especially since it is machine cut. It was a hair too wide and had to be sanded, and was definitely a lot taller than my original TUSQ saddle, so also had to be sanded for that. Not terribly difficult, but not a slam-dunk 5-minute replacement either.

In the end, I did a carefully recorded A/B comparison between the two, the results of which I posted here (not the sound files, just a description). I think you can probably find it by searching on my username.

The short story is that it made a VERY slight difference, so slight that it was almost negligible. There are many accounts I've read, however, where the bone saddle replacement made a great difference. I believe it really depends a lot on the guitar, and perhaps the strings you use (I use Elixir Nano lights).

No clue or comment regarding nut-related questions.

Good luck!

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP
samarks

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:51:53 PM »

A replacement saddle SHOULD be a little too large when you get it.  No two bridge slots are the same.  It is easy to sand a saddle to fit exactly.  Impossible to grow one that is too small.

Larrivee Koa Parlor
Collings OM-2H
Martin D-42 Custom
Fender 1954 RI Custom Strat
contact

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 06:04:39 PM »

The replacement saddle, as Samark points out, should be slightly larger in thickness than the saddle slot in the bridge,

AND taller than any existing saddle

SO that the thickness can be just barely fit into the slot (rocking by a saddle by it being too thin can damage the bridge)  and the height of the saddle can be set to the best "action" height.  

There is a popular provider of saddles on ebay and in various guitar forums, but his saddles take WAY too much effort to fit correctly.  His saddles are almost like fabricating an entirely new one.  At least the radius of the top of the saddle is correct, except for the huge amount of fitting that has to be done on the outside edges..

I WILL PROVIDE A BONE SADDLE FOR YOUR LARRIVEE THAT WILL FIT AFTER ONLY MINOR FITTING FOR THICKNESS AND HEIGHT FOR ONLY $20 PLUS $4.25 DOMESTIC SHIPPING - NOT THE HOURS OF FITTING REQUIRED BY OTHER BONE SADDLE PROVIDERS.   I TAKE PAYPAL AND MONEY ORDERS.  [My ebay name is WEBLURES if you want to check my reliability/reputation...]

IF INTERESTED, please email me at (remove the "dot", of course):

fdw @ charter dot net

Moderstors, sorry if this is inappropriate location for this post - simply trying to help forum members
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:34:28 PM »

I ordered a bone saddle directly from Larrivee that fit in both width and height for the action I like. I just installed it on my OM-03BW. I also made my own nut from a blank and installed (might want to have that done at a shop though as you can screw up the headstock finish if you don't know what you're doing). IMO the bone saddle makes a significant difference in clarity and volume. The bone nut does as well only the effect is only with the open strings.

scrank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 07:53:41 PM »

I just added a bone saddle to my D-03R and here's what I found:

1. Purchased direct from Larrivee (made the order over the phone). Cost around $20 for the compensated saddle + a fixed $10 shipping (a bit steep in my opinion)

2. Saddle was a bit thick so I had to sand it. One note here - after rubbing for a while on the sandpaper I could get the ends of the saddle to fit but the middle was still too thick. Had to focus on sanding just the middle for a bit so that the entire saddle fit. The height of the saddle was almost identical to the stock saddle that came with my Larrivee.

3. Sound difference was very minor in my opinion, but I'm just glad to know I've got real bone instead of synthetic.

4. On another note I tried replacing my bridge pins with ox horn bridge pins and noticed a real difference in sound, more shimmery highs. I actually did not like the change so much (I like a crisp treble sound) and the knobs on the bridge pin were larger than normal so I swapped them out for ebony which is just right for me.
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 07:59:12 PM »

Bob Colosi, www.guitarsaddles.com, provides excellent bone saddles.  He provides excellent instructions for fitting the saddle to your preferences.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: