Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abba - yes you've got it right, Abba!!!  (Read 1656 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »

Just want to share this with you - part of my reminiscing of the day. My family are watching Mamma Mia on DVD as I speak, and I was reminded of my favourite Abba song nl. SOS. How's the acoustic guitar on that chorus? - most memorable...

Another one which springs to mind is the acoustic guitar on Bonnie Tyler's "more than a lover" - Fongie, you might appreciate the drums on that track as well.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:09:36 AM »

Just want to share this with you - part of my reminiscing of the day. My family are watching Mamma Mia on DVD as I speak, and I was reminded of my favourite Abba song nl. SOS. How's the acoustic guitar on that chorus? - most memorable...

Another one which springs to mind is the acoustic guitar on Bonnie Tyler's "more than a lover" - Fongie, you might appreciate the drums on that track as well.

All last week I listened to ABBA interviews and music on XM.   I had to listen to them in secret back in the 70's.   My "disco sucks" pals wouldn't have understood.
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »

Right... that reminds me of the disco days when I was still in university.   I was still tossed between that scene and my spiritual quest.

Oh !!! to be young again... those were the days.   

ricky
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

I always thought that ABBA was pretty cool and their harmonies were right up there with anyone at the time(maybe still today).  Maybe I dreamt it, but wasn't there something about death threats or something sent to them??

Old Folky

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

I always thought that ABBA was pretty cool and their harmonies were right up there with anyone at the time(maybe still today).  Maybe I dreamt it, but wasn't there something about death threats or something sent to them??

Old Folky
yak
OK, perhaps I just hated them too much, but the death threats were simply idle threats. I wouldnt have really gone through with it. (I don't think...)
I hadn't finalized the plans on the 6th floor of the Intercontinental Hotel or my getaway on the 7:37 train to catch the 9:30 ferry, throwing the murder weapon overboard.
 cop
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »

yak
OK, perhaps I just hated them too much, but the death threats were simply idle threats. I wouldnt have really gone through with it. (I don't think...)
I hadn't finalized the plans on the 6th floor of the Intercontinental Hotel or my getaway on the 7:37 train to catch the 9:30 ferry, throwing the murder weapon overboard.
 cop

WOW, that's a LOT of hate and discontent.  BUT, what they'd played Larrivee's?? whistling

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

WOW, that's a LOT of hate and discontent.  BUT, what they'd played Larrivee's?? whistling

The larrivee's could be formally excused from the death threats.  They could be sensitively re-homed, after months of intensive therapy.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »

The larrivee's could be formally excused from the death threats.  They could be sensitively re-homed, after months of intensive therapy.
"
    You must realize that I was a lot younger then, and my tastes have changed somewhat.  Maybe, they've "mysteriously disappeared" for all I know and no one's bothered to bother about bothering to find them (or something like that).  rolleye

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »

ABBA? There's no gentle way to put this except YUCK!
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »

ABBA?  there's no gentle way to put this except YUCK!

agreed. and I considered it, but I found it to be simply too gentle.

old folky

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »

agreed. and I considered it, but I found it to be simply too gentle.

ABBA? There's no gentle way to put this except YUCK!

Ok, ok !!  As a matter of fact, thinking back, maybe they really did suck.  And they were geeky.  And they couldn't sing.  And their songs were over rated.  And  they weren't good musicians.  And their name was spelled bass ackwards.  And maybe.... wacko

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
pallas

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »

Robbie Fulks got me to rethink Abba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y53USDXySC4
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »

Hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, I imagine. It's just that, usually, we're not so eager to share them! 
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »

Here we go again with any style of music thats not our style sucks. No their not my cup of tea eather. When they where at there peek I was into the Stones, Deep Purple Queen Thin Lizzy and others of the sort.   . But ABBA where good writers and good musicions exspecialy the keyboard player. My Dad saw them live when we lived in London. And he was really impressed with a solo section of the show the keyboard player did . I don't care for Bluegrass but I've heard a lot of bluegrass pickers I was really impressed with and could appreciate there talent. Don't get me wrong I do think there's  some terrible music out . To much computer generated stuff. Or metal bands that intentionally sing bad. or I've heard band on a CD thought they sounded great. Then when you see them live you realize it was pro tools that made them sound like a band at all. But those opinions where based on their musicianship not style.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »

How about the Monkees. Oh that Davy Jones, wasn't he a dream.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »

Well if we are going to go with favorite fake bands, its a toss up between The Partridge Family or the Archies. So who's hotter Veronica or Susan Day.
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »

How about the Monkees. Oh that Davy Jones, wasn't he a dream.

Hey, hey, I liked the Monkeys too.  They had some good tunes I thought.  Like Glove1, I like a little of every style, but not all of each. 

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
guitom

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »

Here we go again with any style of music thats not our style sucks. No their not my cup of tea eather. When they where at there peek I was into the Stones, Deep Purple Queen Thin Lizzy and others of the sort.   . But ABBA where good writers and good musicions exspecialy the keyboard player. My Dad saw them live when we lived in London. And he was really impressed with a solo section of the show the keyboard player did . I don't care for Bluegrass but I've heard a lot of bluegrass pickers I was really impressed with and could appreciate there talent. Don't get me wrong I do think there's  some terrible music out . To much computer generated stuff. Or metal bands that intentionally sing bad. or I've heard band on a CD thought they sounded great. Then when you see them live you realize it was pro tools that made them sound like a band at all. But those opinions where based on their musicianship not style.

Exactly.  And comparing ABBA to the Monkees (who did have some great songs) or the Patridge Family doesn't make any sense at all.  There was nothing fake about them.  Never was my cup of tea (except the brunette!), but they are very real and very well respected by some other very real musicians.  Not the least of which is Robbie Fulks!

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

Awww maaaan, who started this thread.  I'm sitting at work with Super Trooper going round and round in my head.

MAKE IT STOP

MAKE IT STOP

PPLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSE MAKE IT STOP

crying crying crying crying crying

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »

Exactly.  And comparing ABBA to the Monkees (who did have some great songs) or the Patridge Family doesn't make any sense at all.  There was nothing fake about them.  Never was my cup of tea (except the brunette!), but they are very real and very well respected by some other very real musicians.  Not the least of which is Robbie Fulks!

I don't understand your point at all.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: