Got Dogs......?

Started by es-335, December 21, 2008, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today while mowing and trimming my wife brought a baby rabbit to me that our dog had brought to her unharmed.  Our dog has brought a lot of baby rabbits to us this year. We've taught her not to harm them and we try to find the hole where they came from. Until today I had never found a nest of rabbits on our property.
    Scanning the front yard I spotted a bunch of fuzzy Grey hair and as soon as I moved the hair aside a baby rabbit cried out. So I put the other one back and covered the hole with hair and grass. Now momma can come back later and do her job. As for our dog we will keep her out  back or in the house.

So here is our new baby, Joey the Australian Terrier.  He was 8 1/2 weeks old when I took the pictures Oct. 17.  We picked him out of a litter of 5 when he was 49 days old with the aid of the "Volhard Puppy Test".  Have any of you used that test to pick out a puppy?  This is the second time we have done this test to pick out a pup.  Our Cairn Terrier, Broc was the first.  He is now 6 years old and has turned out to be a great dog.  This new little guy seems to be a bit more spunky and aggressive than the test would indicate, but we'll see.  If anyone can mellow him out a bit, my wife can.  She's a natural "dog whisperer".
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Love the "Pack Leader" sweatshirt...what word is parenthesized? Great looking dog! With three dogs, two cats and two foster kids, my wife would qualify as a pack leader!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

4 dogs, a cat and a foster kid. Mine too, I guess. Plus she's a rabid Packer fan.  :laughin:

Quote from: Riverbend on October 22, 2014, 04:45:38 AM
Love the "Pack Leader" sweatshirt...what word is parenthesized? Great looking dog! With three dogs, two cats and two foster kids, my wife would qualify as a pack leader!

Hi, the word is (tsch!).  It's an attempt to spell the sound that Cesar Milan makes when correcting a dog.  Our 2 daughters had the sweatshirt made for her.  Very observant of you.

Cheers, Kurt

I hear it as, "Tsst".  Lola (6 1/2 month old pup) apparently hears it as, "Oh go ahead and do whatever you like."  :laughin: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 22, 2014, 11:57:38 AM
I hear it as, "Tsst".  Lola (6 1/2 month old pup) apparently hears it as, "Oh go ahead and do whatever you like."  :laughin: 

Actually Lucy uses a stern "uh uh" and it seems to work pretty well.

Helen keeps reminding me that I wanted a puppy. Lola goes to her last obedience class next week or as she sees it, the place where she goes bonkers cos there's other dogs there and she's going to get a lot of treats. We're supposed to graduate. She's the youngest dog there and I fear she'll be held back.  :laughin:   

She's forty pounds now and hits like a blitzing Clay Matthews. I call her the Lolatic. She's sitting at my feet now chewing a toy and being really good. Maybe there's hope that this behavior will become more common. At least, I think it's a toy, I'm afraid to check.  :laughin:     

So this morning Lucy and I are sitting at the computer, looking at dog food brand websites and comparing nutritional information, ingredients, (propaganda?)  because our darling little baby, Joey, isn't eating very well and we're trying to figure out why.  Said puppy, who is almost 13 weeks, is romping around our feet under the computer desk, having a great time.

All of a sudden, there is a big KAPOOF, a big spark, the monitor goes blank, the computer goes off, and the lights go out!?  At the same time, Joey whips out of the room like a bat out of hell.  What the F***!, we both exclaim at the same time.  Did our computer just blow up or what?  A few seconds of reflection go by and .... "did our little darling just chew some wires down there"?  So I go downstairs, and sure enough the breaker for that circuit has tripped.  Meanwhile Lucy grabs Joey and checks out his mouth for any damage, and I get a flashlight and start checking the nest of wires, one wire at a time.

So, first I discover that the input cable that connects the powered subwoofer on the floor with the audio output on the computer, has been chewed in several places and almost severed in one place.  I'm thinking well that's unfortunate, but wouldn't cause the breaker to trip.  So I keep on checking wire by wire, and sure enough the subwoofer's main power cord has been severed to the point it is hanging together by a few threads of wire.  Aha, so that is why the breaker tripped.  At this point I still have no idea if the computer, monitor, or printer has been fried.  And I wasn't going to reset the breaker until I thoroughly checked every inch of every wire under there.  Fortunately, all other cables appeared to be unchewed.

The next hour was spent re-splicing and soldering the wires back together.  Then I hooked everything back up, told the wife to standby and holler if anything went awry, and went to the basement to reset the breaker.  Turns out, all is fixed now, and everything came through with no damage.

We both learned a valuable lesson from this and, hopefully, so did Joey.  He will not be out of our sight like this again, that's for sure.  We are just lucky that we were right there in the room when it happened and the damage was detected immediately.  This could have caused a fire or damaged our computer.   We are now going to have to make a thorough inspection of every possible accessible wire in the house, in case he has done some damage elsewhere while we weren't paying attention.  Joey is lucky too, as he could have been hurt or worse.

We can't blame the puppy of course, but it demonstrates what can happen if you let a puppy have the run of the house and you let your guard down for even a moment.

I have attached a picture of Joey hanging out with his big brother, Broc the Cairn Terrier.  It was taken on Nov. 10.

I can relate to that one. Lola chewed through the cord on my keyboard a few weeks back. I now have my computer turned sideways and my woofer beside it so she can't get behind the desk and so she won't flop down and turn it off as she did one too many times. She's gotta be where I am though and will bark ceaselessly if I try to sit in my office and leave her elsewhere. Dogs!   

It's been a while since I posted a picture of our dog, Rebus.  He's 5 years old now and still as much of a handful (almost) as he was when we got him.  He still watches TV and barks whenever another animal comes on...  Does anybody else have a dog that watches TV?  My sister has a Westie that does.  He doesn't bark at animals, just violence.
Larrivee 00-40R

Helen got a new puppy. Her fourth long coated chihuahua. Introducing Sierrakruze's Dart to the Heart or, as we call her, Arrow. She was just a few weeks old here and still with the breeder and since this picture has come to Wisconsin and gotten her big girl ears. She's climbing my leg right now wondering where her mommy went. And here are all four of the Wisconsin Blue Chis (they love their Blue Buffalo).

Quote from: Strings4Him on January 17, 2016, 04:40:02 PM
So cute!!

Yeah, she is. Now with her ears up and before her coat comes in, she actually looks like a tiny German Shepherd.   

Those little dogs are easy to love.

Quote from: dependan on January 17, 2016, 05:05:25 PM
Those little dogs are easy to love.

For my wife, they are like potato chips. No one can have just one. This one she intends to show and eventually breed. Daughter of champions and all. I don't know where she'll find the time but she loves the little things.   

Here is my baby. Her name is Flurry and she is part American Eskimo and part something else. I think she got 90% of the American Eskimo genes. This was the only formal portrait that she would let me take of her. The flash made her think lightning and lightning means thunder and thunder means it is time to hide.

I find it very curious that this thread just revived after being dormant for a year and at the exact same time as I've been considering looking for a new loyal friend.
      I've missed having the four fur pawed tail wagger around to fill the home with many fun and trying times. I'll have to ask my grandson, who is a farrier to keep his eyes open as he goes around the ranches. I'll post pics when this works out.

Quote from: dependan on January 17, 2016, 08:57:04 PM
     I find it very curious that this thread just revived after being dormant for a year and at the exact same time as I've been considering looking for a new loyal friend.
      I've missed having the four fur pawed tail wagger around to fill the home with many fun and trying times. I'll have to ask my grandson, who is a farrier to keep his eyes open as he goes around the ranches. I'll post pics when this works out.

The system strongly suggested starting a new thread but I like this one. Nice pup Muffinhead. Does she need an igloo shaped dog house? ;)   

Quote from: Muffinhead on January 17, 2016, 08:07:53 PM
Here is my baby. Her name is Flurry and she is part American Eskimo and part something else. I think she got 90% of the American Eskimo genes. This was the only formal portrait that she would let me take of her. The flash made her think lightning and lightning means thunder and thunder means it is time to hide.

I have two in my pack of dogs that are terrified of lightning as well.  I have terrible luck photographing any of them, they don't like cameras or phones either...
George