Got Dogs......?

Started by es-335, December 21, 2008, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on March 28, 2014, 10:30:34 AM
     That sounds like a good dog to have. But quite a change from your handful of lil Chihuahuas.
I had a pair of pointers once and one of them was a good quail dog, but she always found a way to escape the backyard and it was her demise.

Well, I like to say the chihuahuas are "mommy's" dogs. They are quite adorable though. No one will ever sneak up on us, that's for sure. The Setter will be my dog. I'm taking him or he's taking me to school and we're going to get that obedience thing down. Helen's son in law just got a wire haired pointing Griffon, beautiful pup, and we are planning on hunting them together. We had a beautiful but nutty boxer, quite a handful, but she was mommy's dog too. She found a new home for her where she could run and have a better life and drive someone else batty. Hopefully we can keep the Llewelyn in the yard. Fences are going up. 

hmmmmm, my rescue white shepherd is a "mommy" dog, but only because the previous owner kicked it, so he's very leary of men.
mind you my fiancé, spoils him (bad thing to do to a shepherd) so i lose both times.
meh, she spoils me too, I can live with that.

sad part, he has a form of MS and is slowly losing connection with his rear legs, difficult to watch, and I won't be buying or making and hind quarter buggy thing for him.
yes we have steps down, front and back, only 5, but to him, every week there seem to be an extra one, and at 120 pounds, well, sad times on the horizon.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

My boxer Titan loves guitars. Whenever I play he lays down and lisyens.He is obsessed with reflections.  He loves to chase the light reflections from my guitar when I play in the afternoon sun. Of course, he prefers the sound of Larrivees. :humour:
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

All of my Dogs Loved to have me play guitar.  They have always been some of my best fans :tongue:

Quote from: headsup on March 29, 2014, 11:33:53 AM
hmmmmm, my rescue white shepherd is a "mommy" dog, but only because the previous owner kicked it, so he's very leary of men.
mind you my fiancé, spoils him (bad thing to do to a shepherd) so i lose both times.
meh, she spoils me too, I can live with that.

sad part, he has a form of MS and is slowly losing connection with his rear legs, difficult to watch, and I won't be buying or making and hind quarter buggy thing for him.
yes we have steps down, front and back, only 5, but to him, every week there seem to be an extra one, and at 120 pounds, well, sad times on the horizon.....
On a most serious subject. The best dog I ever had the joy of befriending me was Gump, you can find pix of him in this thread.  In old age he was almost blind and plagued by many illnesses, including mange. I asked a friend to help me end his suffering and find a good spot to bury him.
    In the end I was the one who stopped his suffering, it just seemed proper. He is buried on Willy Nelson's ranch on a hill overlooking the Perdenales river. I still can't talk to friends and family about that day. Except to say I put his favorite blanket around him.

Lola @ six weeks. English Setter. She's ten weeks old today. We've fallen in love.   

puppy love indeed!

our 10 year old white shepherd is now completely blind and has the dog equivalent of MS.
meaning his hips are collapsing, he falls down the stairs, and walks into things.

a visit with the vet today, gave me the canine form of Morphine.
and a 24 hr call time frame to have him come to the house with the "sleeping" bag.......

sad times around here.....
Like over 50?

Hey Headsup. It's hard I know. I buried two of our dogs this past year and two cats the year before, all family pets . It is rough. Prayers for you and yours
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Nice pooch Tom.

Kevin, sorry for your loss. We had to take our Wiemaraner to the vet last year for an 'endital' shot. He could barely stand on his own so we backed the highlander up to the door of the clinic so I would not have to carry him far. He was some over 100lbs. A couple minutes after leaving him on the exam table waiting outside fighting back tears, we were told its done and to come get him. I carried him back to the car cradled in my arms but had to turn sideways to get through the door, and when I did a muscle in my back screamed for relief. Well I ran the last 20 feet with him before plopping him into the back of the highlander
then fell to the ground in some serious pain, bawling like a baby for my beloved pooch. It was pitiful. A few minutes went by like that with me unable to move when the vet walked by and said "are you ok?" I looked up at him grimacing in tears and just shook my head.
There's probably somewhat to chuckle about that story, but not at the time.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

The cycle of life goes on. Sorry to hear of your losses. They just live so fast, don't they? Lola is just full of life, love and mischief, I don't want to think about how short life can be for dogs. Right now I just want her to stop emptying the bathroom garbage every chance she gets. Speaking of that, she's quiet and I better go see what she's up to. Either that or the chihuahuas may be planning their attack and she's cowering in her kennel. 

well, today was the day.
huge loss around here, thanks for your kind words.
Vet came to the house, then I took him up to the farm where he loved, and had a place ready for him.
Like over 50?

Sorry for your loss Kevin. A good dog is some of the best that life has to offer.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Sorry for your loss Kevin, as I've said in this thread we lost the best dog I've ever had and we buried him in a good spot with respect, as you have done.
    Though Gump has been gone for several years now he is still remembered and spoken of fondly by the family.
     For at least the first year after his death it was hard for me to speak about him.But that has changed and he lives on in all our memories and we speak about him and the funny, sometimes noble things he would do.
     Our blue heeler/Australian shepherd pup is winning a large place in our hearts now. That's something I wasn't sure would happen again.

Hoping you will find another loyal friend.

Again my condolences, Kevin. It's so hard to part with them. On a brighter note, Lola is growing like a weed and driving us crazy. We really wanted a puppy??? Here she is in a quieter moment around the fire.  

Quote from: Riverbend on July 08, 2014, 08:15:13 AM
Sorry for your loss Kevin.
Yup its a sad time!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Encouraging to see the new pups in peoples lives, and thanks again for the understanding.
I was actually surprised to get very considerate and sweet emails and calls from all three of my very busy kids around this loss.

As many around the forum are dog owners, I must admit that was the first time I've had to be the one to make the ultimate choice as to when the best time was to have him put out of his misery. (is there a "best" time?).

Anyways, that part, with my gal pal taking the day off, and the vet and his assistant coming here, was hardly a picnic.
The pooch just wouldn't let go of life, he made their job and our pain a little longer than needed, making the hurt even deeper.
lots to get over for sure. We sure get attached to our pooches.
Like over 50?

I had dogs growing up.  But I have not had any as an adult.  This thread is one of the best threads on this forum.  Thanks to all for letting me peek into your life.  Very touching and moving stories.

Kylie got fixed yesterday and has to wear the cone of shame. She was listening to me playing the OO today and it made me think of the RCA dog.

Quote from: dependan on September 18, 2014, 10:57:55 PMKylie got fixed yesterday and has to wear the cone of shame.

Glad they don't make us wear one of those when we get fixed!  This past winter was the first winter we have not had at least one dog since 1991.  If there ever was a winter in S.E. Michigan to not have a dog, this was the one.  That didn't last long though.  We picked up this guy Labor Day weekend.  His name is Dingo and he is a Basenji / terrier mix.  9 months old and a real whirlwind.  He came fixed so he doesn't have to wear the cone of shame.  We just put it on him for fun!
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Handsome fellow! I keep asking myself why we wanted a puppy. My life is mostly ... "No! No! Off! Down! Don't chew that! Bad Dog!"   :laughin: