Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Dogs......?  (Read 75706 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Here is my Moose (Bernese Mountain Dog), who I had to put down in Feb. this year. Very difficult. Neither the wife, kids nor I were dealing well without him so we are getting a puppy soon. It'll be good having another one here but different as well. Hang in there and maybe another one in time...
   Gump died almost a year ago now. He is still in my heart and in my conversations. Everyone who met him liked him. We in the family loved him. And he loved us all. After having a pet like this for 13-14 years you can never actually replace them.
        But I did get a ranch dog to be a companion for Gump in his last years. I named her Bubba. She didn't win my heart over like Gump did, but she has slowly taken her own place in the family and in all our hearts. It took about two years I guess or maybe a year and a half, but she has become the family dog and we all love her.
        I tried a puppy as well but that was not a correct match for us and the pup has moved from Texas to South Dakota and is in a good home there.

I tried singing a little tune about Gump a few days ago and just stopped and wept. I guess I am just saying it takes time for those of us who love animals and make the bond with them that doesn't seem to be broken, even after they are gone. They aren't people but they sure are family and at times a better friend.

I do hope your new puppy is a special pet and can get in your heart as Moose has.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
morrow22

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »

Moose is a fine looking dog.  Sorry about your lose, I know he is missed, but sure you have great memories.
SteveD216

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2010, 08:29:03 PM »

Last year was a trying year for my wife and I and our dogs. We have Rhymer and Seager, black labs and brothers. In April last year Rhymer was diagnosed by a local vet with a malignant thyroid tumor that had metasticized a little to his lungs and was given 3 - 6 months to live. We refused to give up and took him to Ohio State University Veterinary Hospital. He had surgery to remove the tumor, went on Chemotherapy and the current prognosis is that he will be with us for years. His response to the Chemo has even amazed the Oncologists at Ohio State. At this point you would never know that there was a thing wrong with him.

His brother Seager tore his ACL last fall and had surgery to repair it in October. It was a long haul to recovery, and hell on Seager since he is the jock in the family. He is now back to running like a rocket and has renewed his love affair with the tennis ball.

Bottom line is we love our boys and are overcome with joy with how things have turned out for them, just wish we had doggie health insurance.

pg60

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »

Hey Steve, that's a great story about your dogs recovering.  I'm sure that you cherish every day with them.

Danny:  I feel for you about Gump because I'm going through the same thing.  We had to put our Big Feller Henry to sleep last June, he was a 13 year old 100 lb lab mix.  There's a hole in my heart that time just won't fill, shedding a tear right now thinking of him.  He was one of those dogs that everybody, human or canine, loved.

Why wait any longer for the world to begin?
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »

Among our dogs is a German Short-hair Pointer who uses her paws to touch all the time. She touched my new 00-03 and left an one inch 'impression.' Didn't break the finish, but when the light catches it, there it is - perpendicular to the grain.

She loves me...

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
thisisbrianly

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »

Odie our favorite goldendoodle puppy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
chomos

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »

I tried singing a little tune about Gump a few days ago and just stopped and wept. I guess I am just saying it takes time for those of us who love animals and make the bond with them that doesn't seem to be broken, even after they are gone. They aren't people but they sure are family and at times a better friend.

Losing him was much harder than I thought it would be. I also get overcome sometimes and still have a hard time talking about him, but I'm thankful for the 8+ years he was with us and all the great memories. Thanks for sharing and here's to our best friends.

L-03R
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »

We just picked up our new rescue dog, his name is Winston. He is a ACD somewhere between 6 and 9 months old. The pic's aren't the best but we just got him last night and when I went to take pictures today my batteries were dead, by the time they were charged it was getting dark.
BTW, he is very well behaved and smart (he didn't get that from me).

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
morrow22

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:16 AM »

He looks like he will be very Happy and fit right in. He really has a sweet face
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »

Thanks, here's a close up of that face.

Roger

chomos

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2010, 01:30:44 AM »

Well, we picked up our new Berner puppy on Saturday; here she is. We named her Mabel and we are all getting used to each other. The kids really are into her and are helping out quite a bit--we'll see how long that lasts. She's got quite a lot of energy and that is an adjustment for us but she is fun and lovable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

L-03R
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »

Very cute, that's the breed my wife wanted originally. Thankfully I changed her mind.  I would have liked one if I had a bigger home, car, WALLET....etc....

Roger

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »

Where does it come from?
Now I understand Gus' herding instincts his sire is and is from herding stock he zig zags when he is in front, he grabs ankles when he is behind, he lays his chin on my other dogs necks to make them stay. He understands almost all commands with no trouble but...
last Friday he walked in to the kitchen and grabbed a paper shopping bag carried it to the middle of the backyard and dropped it on its side, walked to the fence, turned around and ran as fast as he possibly could and jumped on the shopping bag sliding across the lawn he did this until the shopping bag wouldn't slide anymore.

Do you think he might be sneaking out of his kennel and watching "Animal Planet" in the middle of the night?

The Dude abides.

WPete

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »

How big is Gus now - doubled again ? 
Old saying about herding dogs - "Gotta keep them busy or they will find something to do, and you won't like it" .
My Border C. something cross/stray is now 10 and a bit calmer finally.

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »

How big is Gus now - doubled again ? 
Old saying about herding dogs - "Gotta keep them busy or they will find something to do, and you won't like it" .
My Border C. something cross/stray is now 10 and a bit calmer finally.

I'm not sure I'll be weighing him when he gets his final shots on Thursday over 25 maybe 30.
As you can see above your post my 12 year old has mellowed too much.
Gus is a stuffed dog toy serial killer at home but is a perfect gentelman in public. I once told him to sit/wait in my office and forgot just to come back quite a while later to find him in the same spot sitting-then again he could have been messin with me.

The Dude abides.

WileE

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »

There are a lot of very touching stories here. In January we lost our Siberian Husky a day before his 12th birthday. It was, and still is, really difficult. A couple of months ago we adopted a Border Collie from a rescue. He's 8 months old now and is firmly part of the family. He has his moments but, overall, he's great. He went with us on our road trip from California to Nova Scotia and back and did very well -- although he was going a little stir crazy at the end.

Larrivee 00-40R
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »

37 lbs. today- remember those fifties black and white movies where things were exposed to radiation they became HUGE! That's our not so little guy.

Cool dogs Border Collies I just don't have the energy- luckily he is young enough to train and a very good looking too. A friend got a Border Collie right after we got Joey and he lost 40 lbs the first year and a half he owned her.

The Dude abides.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »

Gump was a Border Collie stray that I found in the middle of a busy hiway when he was about 6 months old. Just read about him above if you want. Bottom line is he was the best dang dawg this ole country boy ever had. Still hard to talk much about him.

Border Collies are great dogs. And that Berner puppy is so cute.

We gave our coydog Bubba a bath today and vaccine and flea meds. Now she needs a trip to the Vet for Rabies booster and heart worm medicine. She's no Gump but she fits in the family quite well.
       We have some more animals now but I'll tell about them later.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »

Lost our little 10-year-old Scottie mix the 6th of May. The lupus finally won. He was a character and we miss him. (I still haven't put his kennel/bed/dish away). It was the day before we picked up our daughter from her first year of college. She didn't get to say goodbye. What a horrible day!

We have a curly-coated retriever who is 7. He is big and smart and very sweet. He's such a goofball. I think he clowns around just to get us to laugh. He was lost for awhile after Arthur died, but seems to be enjoying being an only dog now. We couldn't take Arthur for car rides much, now Bug thinks every time we go out the door he's going for a ride. He is an excellent car dog.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: