Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blueridge BR-361  (Read 2429 times)
ark

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »

I'd like to find an 00 size, 12 fret, short scale, rosewood guitar, in the $1000 or so ballpark as a contrast to my OM-05. I was hopeful the new ForumIII might work out, but it will be standard scale and pretty much OM size. So...... my initial fallback position is a Blueridge BR-361, which is bigger than a Larrivee parlor, but not by much. Has anyone had a chance to play one of these?
I also wonder about the Blueridge quality control if I have to buy a BR-361 over the net.
All thoughts appreciated.
Thx,
Al
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:49:52 AM »

larrivee parlor doesn't work for you..?

Jeffrey

Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:29:57 AM »

Hey ARK....  I was just reading your short scale post on the  F-3 thread, and was thinking about answering it with a short scale thread on this part of the Forum..... small world of minds that think alike,  I s'pose.

My solution was/is this Seagull  Artist Folk  Scale length = 24.84".
I really love it and.... (shssssh,  dont tell the rest of this forum...)......it gets the most playing time in my home.
I have two very nice Larrivee's, L Blackwood, and an OM Forum MT.  But Cedar top and short scale is the most often choosen ax

Besides the short scale, the body size is slightly bigger than an OO and smaller than an OM.  PERFECT !
Somewhat deeper body really helps this guitar have a much bigger sound than the specs would suggest.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm    ( the Artist specs dont show the Folk model, but it is still available in the artist line )

My Artist model is the top of Seagulls line, and still less expensive than the  F-3, the last time I checked.

Hope this is helpfull.

ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
ark

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:43:57 AM »

I thought about both the Larrivee parlor and the Seagull Folk -- in fact I picked up a used Folk last summer for my daughter.  The parlor is a bit on the small side, and the Seagull is mahogany. I have a OM-05, so wanted to find something with a rosewood body if possible. I also really like the look of a slotted peghead, although that is not as important as 00 size, 12 fret, short scale, and rosewood with spruce top.

Thanks much for the inputs -- I'm being a bit picky, I suppose, but there is no great rush since I have the OM-05.  If the Forum III specs had worked out, that wouldn't have shown up for quite a while anyway.

Al
patrickgm60

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:07:29 AM »

Ark:

I bought the br341 (same as 361, but with mahogany back and sides) 9 months ago; I enjoy the guitar a lot; however, a crack developed in the top a couple of months after purchase. I've decided to do nothing about it, as it still play and sounds fine, plus I had a K&K pickup installed.

I've heard that the crack problem is common with the BR parlours - something you may want to consider. However, I sure enjoy the small body size, big sound, and playability from the wide "V" neck.

Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando
ark

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:11 AM »

Ark:

I bought the br341 (same as 361, but with mahogany back and sides) 9 months ago; I enjoy the guitar a lot; however, a crack developed in the top a couple of months after purchase. I've decided to do nothing about it, as it still play and sounds fine, plus I had a K&K pickup installed.

I've heard that the crack problem is common with the BR parlours - something you may want to consider. However, I sure enjoy the small body size, big sound, and playability from the wide "V" neck.

Thanks for the info. I've also heard that a few dealers have stopped carrying the Blueridge line because of quality control issues. So what are the other 00 or 000 12 fret, short scale choices out there other than something with a $2000+ price tag? I've heard some good things about Recording Kings, but it seems the 12 fretters are standard scale and their short scale guitars are 14 fretters. Murphy strikes again!  :)
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:49:42 AM »

Thanks for the info. I've also heard that a few dealers have stopped carrying the Blueridge line because of quality control issues. So what are the other 00 or 000 12 fret, sort scale choices out there other than something with a $2000+ price tag? I've heard some good things about Recording Kings, but it seems the 12 fretters are standard scale and their short scale guitars are 14 fretters. Murphy strikes again!  :)

I stumbled onto a br-361 a couple of months ago, in a shop and was very impressed by the feel & tone. But it seemed a little sketchy regarding fit & finish.

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: