YOUR MUSIC on LGF?!!

Started by ncognito, December 16, 2008, 08:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:guitar :nana_guitar :bgrin:

If you think it would be great to have a seperate forum category exclusively dedicated to contributing your own recorded music, or  maybe you don't have any interest in doing so yourself but would enjoy hearing the music of our fellow forum members, PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST HERE! on this thread.  It's the proverbial squeaky wheel that gets the grease.  IF YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA, BUT DON'T SAY SO... you undermine the hope that this could become a reality. 

For background information please read the two previous threads:

--Larrivee Guitar Forum Compilation CD

--Help for Newbies to Record

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

DAVE                      :wave 
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

As a composer I would like to be able to share some of my songs with forum members. I would also like to hear the music contributed by others.

I DO NOT want to be judged on performance skill having no pretense that I could be mistaken for a performer. Amateur playing skills and thin voice conspire against me so the compilation CD project has no interest for me.

I do believe that my music could be enjoyed by others. But I also observe that some others enjoy applying nonconstructive criticism. I would support a community building exchange of songs if it could be in a collegial atmosphere.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

What he said. Perhap those who wish to be critiqued could ask to be? I would like to hear others. Not expecting to be able to contribute though, but I would like to hear others. Esp. original works.

I had a boss who once told me 'The squeaky wheel gets replaced.' On a practical note would this add to any expense on he part of the forum owner? I have no idea how that all works.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Very interested... more for the sake of promoting a good encouraging environment for Forumites to improve musical skills & promote good community spirit.

I will be more of a "consumer" than a contributor - admiring the original compositions of others so gifted.

ricky

I have much more ego than talent, but I certainly would contribute. I also would welcome responses and input, sharing and learning is what music is all about (in my mind anyway).
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

So you think we need a new (additional) board?
What is it about the Technique & Playing board that doesn't work for you?
I post a few things up there. Granted, I don't get a lot of comments but I never get any harsh criticism or rude remarks there. For me it's just a place to post what I have been working on. Others may be working on similar things. Then I might get a request from someone for the tab or something like that.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2008, 12:06:38 PM
So you think we need a new (additional) board?
What is it about the Technique & Playing board that doesn't work for you?
I post a few things up there. Granted, I don't get a lot of comments but I never get any harsh criticism or rude remarks there. For me it's just a place to post what I have been working on. Others may be working on similar things. Then I might get a request from someone for the tab or something like that.

:+1:

We have a mechanism for this already...whats the beef!  I just posted something in there two days ago.... :guitar

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: Blue in VT on December 16, 2008, 12:38:05 PM
:+1:

We have a mechanism for this already...whats the beef!  I just posted something in there two days ago.... :guitar

Blue
Well, it was an honest question; I was just wondering if there was something about T & P that people didnt like for posting mp3s and such.
(BTW, Blue, I just listened to your rag. Very nice.)

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2008, 01:04:55 PM
Well, it was an honest question; I was just wondering if there was something about T & P that people didnt like for posting mp3s and such.
(BTW, Blue, I just listened to your rag. Very nice.)

Queequeg - IMO the name of the forum heading doesn't lead one to post songs or go looking for songs there.  Add in some words to the title like "Music Cafe", "Forumite Songs", etc.

Neither 'Technique nor Playing' leads one to believe that songs are waiting there to be heard.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 16, 2008, 02:41:30 PM
Neither 'Technique nor Playing' leads one to believe that songs are waiting there to be heard.
I'd agree with Scott on that... my impression of Technique & Playing tends towards seeking input on something one is trying to do (or understand), rather than posting one's completed tunes.

However T&P does serve as our Tune Repository (and for the amount of tunes posted, it seems to be quite sufficient!).  I'm probably going to start posting a bunch of things I've been working on, but I'd be quite happy to post them somewhere specific for that purpose if it was available, rather than T&P

Dave

I think that is a great idea. I would contribute and would love feedback on my songs and recording.

Songwriters love to share their work with other musicians and listeners.

:guitar
Larrivee L_03RE
Larrivee OM_03R
PRS Soapbar
Boneyard Les Paul
Custom Strat

"It will be a great day when the schools get all the money that they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."
                  --Bumper Sticker

the heading reads as follows:
Technique & Playing
Discuss songs, tab, and technique, share your music
but I'm not trying to be argumentative here.
If that is confusing people we should change or add.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2008, 09:28:46 PM
Technique & Playing

I did finally notice that a week or so ago.  I've always posted links to my songs in the 'recording' forum.

What are the stats on the Technique & Playing section compared to the others?

IMO, the main heading leads one to believe that playing technique and woodshed tips are traded in this section.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Technique & Playing

Perhaps a more obvious heading would be an improvement.
Currently, one has to read the sub-heading.
At one quick glance, it's not intuitively obvious.

Just a suggestion.

ricky  :smile:

Technique & Playing

Perhaps a seperate, distinct category dedicated exclusively to contributing one's recorded music would alleviate any subsequent confusion.  As Ricky has suggested, the title ought not be ambiguous, maybe something like, "Juke Joint" or "Larrivee Listening Lounge", admittedly, these titles are a bit lame, but you get the idea.  For anyone sensitive to criticism, they should indicate with their post that they do not want feedback; otherwise one's consent for constructive criticism is implied.  The category, "technique and Playing" maybe should be reserved as an indirect connection to the music, for example, how changing tempo migh effect a song's mood, or if travis picking can be integrated into a improvisational jazz arrangement, or whatever.

I for one would like to thank Queequeg for all he does here; for being so receptive to new ideas.

Queequeg-- You are   :+1:

DAVE
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

Quote from: ncognito on December 17, 2008, 06:40:38 AM

Perhaps a seperate, distinct category dedicated exclusively to contributing one's recorded music would alleviate any subsequent confusion.  As Ricky has suggested, the title ought not be ambiguous, maybe something like, "Juke Joint" or "Larrivee Listening Lounge", admittedly, these titles are a bit lame, but you get the idea.  For anyone sensitive to criticism, they should indicate with their post that they do not want feedback; otherwise one's consent for constructive criticism is implied.  The category, "technique and Playing" maybe should be reserved as an indirect connection to the music, for example, how changing tempo migh effect a song's mood, or if travis picking can be integrated into a improvisational jazz arrangement, or whatever.

I for one would like to thank Queequeg for all he does here; for being so receptive to new ideas.

Queequeg-- You are   :+1:

DAVE
aw shucks, Dave. You're going to ruin my bad guy, bull-in-the-china-shop image.

Queequeg--

You may be a monster, but now the secret is out that you have a sweet sensitive side!         

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

WHAT read a sub heading!!!!!!   ...NNNNNNOOOOOOO....its too many letters.....I don't have time......must hurry to the guitar forum thread..........no time to read..

Give me abreak     :mad:

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Grumble grumble...

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Yes, I'd love to contribute and lend an ear to others. I also agree with other members that feedback should be requested if wanted. Also I'd like to hear demos of songs rather than lavish, fully produced work. In other words, lets keep it simple.

Particularly interest in listening to what others are writing and performing in the acoustic singer/songwriter category.

Quote from: jo3shb on December 17, 2008, 10:32:21 AM

Particularly interest in listening to what others are writing and performing in the acoustic singer/songwriter category.
hmm. I see.
Now, I'm only interested in solo fingerstyle (instrumental). I really don't like singing much, myself. Plus, I only do covers. Not a creative bone in my body.
So, do these need to be on separate boards?