I Am Still Trying To Pick My Jaw Up Off The Floor.

Started by Vee, August 27, 2004, 08:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just sat directly in front, no more than 3 feet away, from Doyle Dykes as he played, for almost 2 1/2 hours.  Absolutely NO WORDS can adequately describe just how FREAKIN' talented this guy is.  If you ever have a chance to see him play, DO NOT MISS IT.  He played a rendition of "As My Guitar Gently Weeps", on a 12 string that literally raised the hairs on the back of my neck.  I even felt my eyes water at this guys talent.  Incredible.  Inspirational, to say the absolute least.

Why did I post this, in this forum?  Because after his performance I had a chance to talk to him privately, and I said, "I know you like Taylors, but you really should give a Larrivee a ride one of these days!"  Of course, being on the Taylor payroll he couldn't say much, but he did nod, smile, and respond with, "Thanks for coming, I really appreciate the comment.  I could tell by the look in your eyes that you love guitar music too.  Keep playing your Larrivee and share your gift with others."

Anyway....the goosebumps will be here for a while.....sighs.

That's VERY cool Vee. I had the pleasure of seeing Doyle play in my local shop last year (not quite as good seats as you though.....about 20 ft. away). IMO he and Tommy Emmanuel are in a class of their own. There are many others out there that are VERY good, but Doyle and Tommy rank above the rest in technique, heart, and showmanship IMO.

I saw him in a little larger local venue, put on by a local shop, and they charged 5 dollar admission.  Best 5 dollar concert I ever saw.  Good sense of humor, humble to a tee, and just stomp down picking.  
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Saw Doyle this spring...4 hour drive one way and worth every mile to get there (and back).   In three weeks, I'm planning to see him once again when he visits Omaha at Russo's Music.

As previously said, Doyle's a fabulous talent and his playing is very inspirational.  DON' T miss one of his clinics/concerts if he's anywhere near you.

Rick
LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

I must have had the worst of his CDs then. Guitare 2000. I couldn't criticize his playing but I didn't like the music much. Matter of taste?

Yes, duck you have bad taste. B)  :P  

But I NEVER drink cheap beer! Sleeman's Cream Ale $40.00 for a 2-4, fer cryin' out loud!    :blink:  

Never had any...Canadian?   Went to their website, suddenly got thirsty!!! :D  

Yes made in Guelph, Ontario. Great beer but it's breaking me. I just can't go back to the uh normal stuff.  And as of last night, I need s'more!  :(  

QuoteIMO he and Tommy Emmanuel are in a class of their own. There are many others out there that are VERY good, but Doyle and Tommy rank above the rest in technique, heart, and showmanship IMO.
I've seen both (Doyle at least a dozen times). Both have fabulous technique but Tommy Emmanuel absolutely smokes Doyle in the showmanship department.  Not even a contest.

GL

You're right GL....but Doyle is closer to Tommy than most. Tommy's the best guitar player on the planet. Period.

Duck, I am so disappointed with Doyle's CDs. He records with that quacky pup he uses most of the time and they're overly orchestrated.
BUT......trust me my friend....he's the real deal.....go see him live, solo. You won't be disappointed.

Doyle was on Mark and Brian, the big morning show in L.A., monday after easter, 2003. He played a patriotic song medley that some of the listeners out here freaked over.....and some callers were choked up trying to say thanks. Doyle in his understated humble way just said thanks, and that he never forgets who his gift is from.

He's a super person.....and what a player!!! One of my very favorites!!!
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

QuoteYes made in Guelph, Ontario. Great beer but it's breaking me. I just can't go back to the uh normal stuff.  And as of last night, I need s'more!  :(
Ship me a case, bro, and we'll call it even. B)  :)  

I think Doyle and Tommy may be the best two acoustic players on the planet!

I like Tommy's music much better though. I'm also amazed at the terrible tone that Doyle likes. Yes, he does like the thin, brittle, quacky tone he plays and records with. He told me so himself! He said it is his sound and is what he wants to hear when he plays.

I told him with talent like that, He could make a Washtub Bass sound like a Harp and it really didn't matter what his tone was like!

Scott

I missed Tommy Emmanuel when he came to Phoenix a month ago because I was out of State. Keola Beamer is going to be her September 16, but I have other commitments (DANG!)

However, the music muses are being kind to me. Doyle Dykes is coming to Phoenix, actually Cave Creek, on October 15. Better not be any conflicts to this one!

Actually, they have a lot of great people coming in from now through the end of the year: Peter Case, Muriel Anderson, Leo Kottke, Ellis Paul, Richie Havens, Roy Rogers,  Strunz & Farah, etc. Things are looking up!

Anyone in or planning to come to the Phoenix Area may want to check out this "new" venue:

http://www.cavecreekcoffee.com/music.htm
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan