Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar humidifier  (Read 8501 times)
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 01:06:47 AM »

Btw,sorry!I forgot to mention that my approach,which was recommended to me by Stan Jay,the well versed owner of Mandolin Bros,is to "not" use an in case humidifier if I can keep the guitars in a consistently safe humidity setting....This will vary for each of us,but I am lazy,and don't want to fotz around with those  in case damping schmitchicks if I don't have to.....
   If the guitars can be stored,and played in a good humidity environment(which really should not be too hard,with today's technology....and I realize there is always going to be extenuating circumstances)That should pretty much do it.....To my way of thinking,it can be easy to overhumidify a cased instrument with ad ons,especially if the humidity is not consistently low,in the first place.The safest way,and "cheaper" than  normally marketed multiple in case humidifiers,if you have a few gits,would be to ad an in room unit,like the Holmes cold mist one,I just got.It is on Walmart's web page,and at 75 bucks,is a steal!!
    Just my opinion,and nothing more.
Jay Olson

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 02:42:08 AM »

For measuring the humidity in a room, The Twelfth Fret sells a nice analog hygrometer for $69. Unlike the cheap digital hygrometers, this model can be calibrated, so you can be more sure of the accuracy.

I used to use the Planet Waves Humidity and Temperature Sensors in the cases, but different units would not always give the same result, even when sitting next to each other. The battery life was also not that good, and the batteries are rather expensive and hard to find.

Now, I use the Oasis humidifiers in the cases, and top them up every few days. At the start of the season, I ordered a replacement humigel kit (for aout $5), and rejuvenated all my Oasis humidifiers. I also saw that they now have an extra-strength model, which has a more permeable membrane and releases more water. It is intended for use in drier climates.

I have tried various room humidifiers in the past, but I find that some parts of the room are still too dry, even though there is condensation on the floor or ceiling in other parts. It may be that my room (the basement) is too large or poorly shaped.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 03:01:22 AM »

In my business I use nice meters of all types and one is a Fluke that can measure Temp. humidity and factor in for dew point and wet bulb measurements. It costs $200 tax incld. I also had a $350 Cooper that had 3 leads which included one that did measurements the same as my Fluke. Both are very accurate.
     I said the above to say that I went to a pet store and bought a Hygrometer for less than $20 called a Fluker. Not made by "Fluke" though. It was as accurate as the others and compact. So it would fit in a case nicely.
     I let Geenorm have it when he bought my LSV-11E. But I think they are a very good buy and the one I had was 100% accurate (almost) here is there web address     www.flukerfarms.com
      (Oh yea, this is the meter, a soap dish and sponge will be needed also)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 06:02:09 AM »

Hello,

Are these available now? I heard about a week ago that they were still working out the kinks.

The new ones are available, and as I say, I've already been through a set.  I had sent my info to Planet Waves when I first heard about the recall (address, product number, etc.) and then almost forgot about them.  It may have been June when I got the new one in the mail with "New and improved" (or something to that effect) written on the box.  I checked the packets regularly for signs of leaking, and nada.  I don't expect there to be any other problems. 

Now, I had my local Long and McQuade order me replacement packets, but that was a month ago, and I haven't heard anything back from them.  Perhaps that means something, I don't know, but the replacement ones I was sent seemed to work well. 

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »

I took a trip to the dollar store and bought a little soap case..the kind meant for travel. Drilled about a dozen holes in the top. Then I cut a sponge in half...big enough to fill the soap dish. I dampen the sponge and put it in the soap case...and put the whole contraption into the guitar case.

That's my humidifier for $1.29 (US$...it may cost you canadians $1.79)

I had a room humidifer when I lived in norther Ohio but sold it when I moved to NC....

Hey nice idea. A little more expensive than my ziplock stabbed with a fork, and a damp paper towel..

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
jonnybees

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »

hi all
here in england it seems to be quite humid most of the time.. anyone on here from the UK use a humidifier?  we have central heating but its rarely on in the room where the acoustics are. 
I love sitting in our new conservatory, but generally in there Im told we need a DEhumidifier for condensation reasons.
goa

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »

I live in Arizona, where the humidity can be as low as 10% or less.  I've used dampit and planet waves soundhole humidifiers.  Neither can keep up very well, except if you re-wet them every day.  They just don't hold enough water. A room humidifier would probably not keep up very well either. 

So I made larger "sponge" type humidifiers out of plastic film canisters.  The sponge material I use is very dense, white foam.  You cannot see holes with the naked eye.  Don't know what it is, my wife had it.  But it holds a ton of water, doesn't drip.  I put 2 or three in the case.  Poking holes in the film canister with an ice pic didn't seem to release enough moisture, so now I leave one of the cans open, setting on top of the assessory compartment near the neck.  The humidity can get up to 50% in the case.
MacNichol

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

The sponge material I use is very dense, white foam.  You cannot see holes with the naked eye.  Don't know what it is, my wife had it.  But it holds a ton of water, doesn't drip. 

If you find out the brand name/manufacturer, please let me know. Thank You.

--------------
www.MacNichol.com
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »

it sounds like a cosmetic sponge, like the ones used to apply foundation. You can buy them at a drugstore, they are usually cut into wedges.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 07:05:39 AM »

Hope this new input is somewhat helpful to some....I've found a nice hygrometer(after trying out about four,which varied in accuracy)that seems to be quite superb,but best of all it is very inexpensive....It is found at Walmart,and is called the "Accurite" model(black and silver).It cost me $7.97and the other units have all been sent back for my refund.This one is a keeper!
   Walmart also has a smaller hygrometer,that I tied,and it was fairly accurate but not sensitive.It took a long time for the numbers to change....This Accurite unit is very sensitive and any changes in temp,or humidity is instantly reflected by the unit.

Best to all
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »

Hope this new input is somewhat helpful to some....I've found a nice hygrometer(after trying out about four,which varied in accuracy)that seems to be quite superb,but best of all it is very inexpensive....It is found at Walmart,and is called the "Accurite" model(black and silver).It cost me $7.97and the other units have all been sent back for my refund.This one is a keeper!
   Walmart also has a smaller hygrometer,that I tied,and it was fairly accurate but not sensitive.It took a long time for the numbers to change....This Accurite unit is very sensitive and any changes in temp,or humidity is instantly reflected by the unit.

Best to all
  I have one of those and it is a keeper. I also have an indoor/outdoor T-meter made by accurite that keeps exact readings. I've had it for well over a year now.

iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »

Best to all

do you have a link to one of those Accurite's online?

thanks

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 11:28:32 PM »

Sorry,I don't have a link,but it is commonly carried at Walmart.Maybe they have it on a web-site.

I've been very curious about everyone's approach with the humidity isue,having just gotten some nice guitars,and don't want to add an in case unit if I can keep my room humidity in the safety zone.To me,it appears it would be just as harmful to over humidify,so right now I have my "little,but accurate" ACCURITE in my Collings case,where I want to see how the humidity is reflected after a few days of being closed....I have read that it is the sound hole area which can differ in humidity from the headstock area,even in a case.This area is not easy to get an accurate reading on,unless there is a hygrometer around that can fit(safely) "in" the guitar body.Hence,my hopeful success with simple "room humidity staying stable".There "are" floor standing humidifying units that can keep a good sized room safe,for fairly little money....The Bemis units are fabulous!!Technology exists at a low price,so why not protect our precious instruments.

The Collings cases are incredibly well made and appear to fit very tightly,which is why I felt "that" would be a good indicater for me.If I find the humidity in the case is considerably lower than the room(which is at a fairly constant 50%,I'll go for an in case unit.Somehow I don't think it will come to that,with a good consistent room humidity as I've got it now,but who knows for sure?.....I think the laws of physics would favor the approach of not needing an in case humidifier if the "room humidity" is at a constant safety range of about 50%.But,I've got a few extra sheckles stashed away in case science is wrong

Best
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 12:25:27 AM »

Here is a Link to a place that has a good variety of accurite products.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »

That's a good link Roger but Wal-mart sells the same Hyrgometer for $5 less. Of course not everyone has 3 Wal-marts within 10 miles like some of us.

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 07:52:09 AM »

I keep all my guitars out on wall hangers or stands in my studio/office all year. This is the humidifier I use now:

I've gone through a couple of them over the years. This one seems to have the best design so far. I've found the warm mist type to be superior as there are no filters. If you use tap water and have hard water, there is quite a bit of maintenance to keep the mineral deposits down. However, I have a water distiller and use distilled water only and I don't have to maintain it more than once every couple of weeks.

Previous models that have the hygrometer built-in suffer from having the humidity of the unit affect the reading. This model keeps all the electronics and the heating element in a separate unit from the steam channel and the water reservoir. I have two other hygrometers in the room and they all read within 2% RH of each other.

I like being able to set it to 45% and leave it. I check the water level every day and check the element once a week. The best part is I have my guitar out where I can play them any time.

BTW... it is currently -20C here and my guitars are enjoying 44% RH at 21C.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »

Here is a Link to a place that has a good variety of accurite products.

thanks tons

I live in Japan, ala no Walmart

and I got free shipping 

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
KoskineN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 02:29:38 AM »

ok...now I must say that I'm kind of confused ...some here use dampits(like Oasis), some use room humidifier, and some use both at the same time? I guess it depends on where you live.
I live in Quebec, Canada, and rignt now, my room hydrometer is at 25% humidity. And so far the Grover dampit don't seems to keep up, seems like the soundhole of my LV-03 begin to collapse(just a bit...), so I might order the one from Oasis. So which model should I get? The case or soundhole model? In the meantime, should I keek my guitar in the case with the Grover, or maybe I will try some homemade solutions...

Thanks to everyones for all the nice tips! I'm learning a lot! 

((( KoskineN )))
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »

I've got to admit I have been a bit paranoid since just getting some really nice guitars.I checked my in case levels and it is definitely down from my room(by about 5%-7% last time I checked,and I know this is still safe)which is maintaind at a constant 50%....Sheesh!!

So I have splurged for the in case Plant Waves units,basically because I don't want to over-do it and they are not too large.Most importantly they don't touch the guitar body.Here I am just playing it safe,and will check in case readings with my hygrometer on occassion....Whew!!
TimButterfield

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »

ok...now I must say that I'm kind of confused ...some here use dampits(like Oasis), some use room humidifier, and some use both at the same time? I guess it depends on where you live.
I live in Quebec, Canada, and rignt now, my room hydrometer is at 25% humidity. And so far the Grover dampit don't seems to keep up, seems like the soundhole of my LV-03 begin to collapse(just a bit...), so I might order the one from Oasis. So which model should I get? The case or soundhole model? In the meantime, should I keek my guitar in the case with the Grover, or maybe I will try some homemade solutions...
I have a Venta LW44 for the room (door is left open) and have the sound hole Oasis for the guitars (in the cases).  I used to have a dampit, but think the Oasis is better.  It certainly seems to hold more water than my dampit.  Maybe that's just because my dampit is so old.  I decided on the sound hole model for the Oasis because I could use it when the guitar is in or out of the case.  I got the regular instead of the plus as I was not sure I wanted/needed an extra 50% output.  Since i have the Venta, I am primarily using the Oasis as insurance as turning on the heater drops the humidity in the room and leaving the door to the room open lets some of the humidity from the Venta escape and dry air come in.  Also, I can shut off the Venta as spring approaches and keep using the Oasis for a little while longer.

Tim

2000 Larrivée OM-10
2007 Larrivée P-09 QM (Quilted Maple)
2008 Pavan TP-30 (RW/Cedar)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: