Tommy Emmanuel

Started by Zohn, December 10, 2008, 04:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 31, 2008, 08:19:54 AM

watch this and tell me he's not a circus clown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo&feature=PlayList&p=EFCFE21B4C4693AD&playnext=1&index=1

All that bopping and foot stomping and facial stuff seems appropriate for the tune to me (and sending out fun energy for an audience) . I'll have to watch some more vids.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I'm just sayin' I mean maybe Tommy wouldn't let Jean go. He is a HUGE guy. There are lots of people I've stood next too. Doesn't mean I like the way they play,lol.

I don't think it's fair to speculate on anyone's drinking or drug or whatever problem. I would imagine that folks in the know have too much class to do so. I mean, he's a public figure, of sorts, but I can't recall the last time I could judge much of anyting based on performance or rumor. Much less consider it my business.

Some of his stuff is like acoustic metal shredding. But there's room for everyone at the table.  I don't like it, but I know of plenty folks who never had any 'issues' that play it or would like to.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 31, 2008, 09:28:19 AM

I don't think it's fair to speculate on anyone's drinking or drug or whatever problem. I would imagine that folks in the know have too much class to do so. I mean, he's a public figure, of sorts, but I can't recall the last time I could judge much of anyting based on performance or rumor. Much less consider it my business.

holly

I got the impression after browsing some older threads that it was accepted that TE had a problem that included booze. The fans would know better than I do.  I'm just saying that in the videos he does look like a man with a problem of some kind and it compromises his music.

Maybe I'd say the same about Charlie Parker if we had more videos of him playing towards the end of his life.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Circus clown?  Everybody knows "Guitar Boogie" is supposed to be a manic rave-up.  It won Tommy hundreds of thousands of new fans through YouTube, so I'd say it served its purpose pretty well.

Check out this clip if you want to know why Chet Atkins held Tommy in such high regard:

Link

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on December 31, 2008, 10:57:50 AM
Circus clown?  Everybody knows "Guitar Boogie" is supposed to be a manic rave-up.  It won Tommy hundreds of thousands of new fans through YouTube, so I'd say it served its purpose pretty well.

Clowns are not all bad and they do serve a purpose. I happen to love Mr. Noodle's brother on Elmo's World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfnyEP63vQg&feature=related

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 31, 2008, 09:51:15 AM

Maybe I'd say the same about Charlie Parker if we had more videos of him playing towards the end of his life.

So now he's dying too? Poor Tommy. And to think he looked the picture of health.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Check out this clip if you want to know why Chet Atkins held Tommy in such high regard:

Link

Call it personal taste but I just don't dig that. It's flashy and pointless to me.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 31, 2008, 11:08:32 AM
Call it personal taste but I just don't dig that. It's flashy and pointless to me.

I agree with you that most of what TE does is shallow showmanship.  I have great respect for his talent and ability-- don't we all wish we could play like that,-- but it would be nice if there was more substantial content to what he offered.  It's kind of like Superman using his super powers to crack walnuts with his bare hands at poker games while there while there's babies falling from windows and damsels in distress everywhere you look.  I'll probably get some flack for this, but I am entitled to my opinion.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

What a great descriptive passage.  I may have to totally steal it some day.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Link
That's what I'm talkin' about!!! the man is a genius guitarist.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

THe beauty of it is that we can all have these different opinions. Rock on!

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 31, 2008, 08:19:54 AM
You really wouldn't want those compliments if it meant they were packaged with an alcohol problem. The guy may play a mile a minute but somewhere important in his life I suspect he's running on empty. All that fiery fretwork just creates a smokescreen to hide something he doesn't feel so good about. I hope he's calmed down and gotten well since those YouTube videos were made.
Shall we now call you Dr. Bearsville?  I can just see the ads now in Guitar Player magazine:  Got a problem?  Life sucks?  Play guitar too well to hide your personal demons?  Just contact Dr. Bearsville!  From his comfy computer chair he can diagnose all your mental and emotional abnormalities.  He'll even do it for free!  That's the kind of benevolent humanitarian Dr. Bearsville is. 

FWIW, TE openly acknowledged his alcohol problem when I saw him in concert earlier this year.  He's been through rehab; I believe that's what his break at the end of '07 was about.  I wish him well and hope it works. 

I find it a bit much to draw inferences about his personal issues from his playing style.  Would we say the same thing about Lenny Breau?  Jimi Hendrix? Any number of other great guitarists with addiction issues that we could name?
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Hmmmm, what would this man be diagnosed with?  Other than brilliance. Should I infer he has an unusual attachment to his guitar? Or coke kept him up all night? Narcolepsy? Just very limber? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTUZ2D2HhE

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

I saw Tommy this summer and he was great!!!! And since when was showmanship a bad thing. Maybe his showmanship is why he draws such good crowds for a solo guitar artist. A live show should be entertaining and very energetic. Ask The Rolling stones, AC/DC, Queen,Pink Floyd,U2 and a host of other highly successful bands if showmanship is a bad thing. Plus a I would imagine the number of member in this forum who could hold up more then five minuets in a guitar duel with Tommy would be very short if any at all. He,s a great guitar player who has managed to give a lot of people and interest in solo acoustic guitar.

Quote from: gluve1 on December 31, 2008, 06:44:24 PM
I saw Tommy this summer and he was great!!!! And since when was showmanship a bad thing. Maybe his showmanship is why he draws such good crowds for a solo guitar artist. A live show should be entertaining and very energetic. Ask The Rolling stones, AC/DC, Queen,Pink Floyd,U2 and a host of other highly successful bands if showmanship is a bad thing. Plus a I would imagine the number of member in this forum who could hold up more then five minuets in a guitar duel with Tommy would be very short if any at all. He,s a great guitar player who has managed to give a lot of people and interest in solo acoustic guitar.
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

Forgive my premature mouse clicking please.  The point I'd like to make is that somthing very special is often left out when showmanship, competition (dueling?) and ego are the primary focus of the music.  What's sometimes missing when entertainment is the only goal of the performer is content, art, something meaningful that we all can relate to.  It's not my intent to diminish TE's very obvious, exceptional talent; I do appreciate what he offers, but I much prefer to be moved emotionally.  We've all seen some incredibly decorated cakes, but after one bite we wonder if the build-up was the only point intended after all.  I know my analogy has it's shortcomings, afterall cake decorating is an art all by itself.  This is just my opinion; I hope no offense is taken.

DAVE
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

I think of Tommy as kind of the Steve Vai of the acoustic world.  As most of you know, in the electric world, this very same debate goes on about the shredders (Vai, Satriani and their many imitators) vs. the "feel" players.  When it comes to rock, I have little use for shred and prefer more traditional players.  But when I saw Vai's set on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, I realized that in addition to speed and technical ability, he had musicality to spare and also a great sense of musical humour.  I probably wouldn't go see Steve Vai in concert just because I don't think I could stand two hours of shred, but I appreciate those qualities, and I think Tommy has the same ones.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Tycho--

Thanks, and very well put.  I'm not familiar enough with Tommy Emmanuel's I'm sure vast work to be so critical.  My reaction is based on very little familiarity with the guy; it's more an impulsive response to the few times I've caught his videos on youtube. 

Years ago I went to three or four Zappa concerts.  I think the man was a genius on many levels, but I'm sure that many people couldn't get past his bizarre personna to appreciate his talent.

The bottom line really is that just like the instruments and genres we as individuals gravitate to, the performers we prefer are just as subjective to each of us.  Viva la differance!

DAVE
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7

'Oi Zohn, this will blow you away, Tommy's brother Phil (who is much, much more a better guitarist than Tommy ) was married to my ex-sister inlaw Maggie (Margaret), who was married to my bro. And Phil, played as a backup with my ex. who sings in the 'Meatloaf' cover band, in a special, about 10,11 years ago. 'Confused?' O.K. I'm still in touch with 'Maggie', I'll see if she's still in touch with Phil, so I'll see if an 'Autograph' is on hand for you. 'HOWZAT?' No 'bulls**t'. Now, can you give us your home address? I will post you something.
Cheers
Fongie